Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Martyn dropped from test squad

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    I don't see why really. Assuming the World XI picks Pollock, Shoaib and Flintoff as their seamers, if there's swing around I'd say it would help McGrath and Lee just as much.
    lee hasnt swung the red ball for the entire ashes series, and has rarely swung it throughout his career, except for the odd game(vs india at the SCG).
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    conditions like that dont exist.
    and thats probably why hes outbowled warne and murali in india?

3 Card Poker Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    and thats probably why hes outbowled warne and murali in india?
    He's got 6 wickets in 2 tests including 4 tail-enders and the wicket of Laxman when he was slogging with a tail-ender at the other end. Hardly enough to say he outbowled Murali and Warne.

Well that was a pretty stupid thing to do, Aussie selectors.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by shankar
    He's got 6 wickets in 2 tests including 4 tail-enders and the wicket of Laxman when he was slogging with a tail-ender at the other end. Hardly enough to say he outbowled Murali and Warne.
    maybe not, but its still a fine performance in those conditions and he at least managed to keep things tight and hold an end up instead of getting carted around the park. negative tactics or not.
    and even his record in pakistan is better than shane warnes.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    lee hasnt swung the red ball for the entire ashes series, and has rarely swung it throughout his career, except for the odd game(vs india at the SCG).
    Lee certainly swung the red ball during the Ashes series, and I'm rather shocked that you missed it frankly. He didn't swing the ball often or for long periods of time, but he certainly swung it, and indeed took wickets with swing on several occasions. One thing he barely did at all was swing it reverse, for whatever reason, but he certainly swung it conventionally at times.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

seam actually
    Actually no, it was swing for the most part. As I said, he swung the ball conventionally right through that spell, took several wickets with conventional outswingers, and did an interview with Mark Taylor immediately afterwards in which Taylor said "one thing you did today I haven't seen you do much before is swing the ball" and McGrath went on to say it was the best spell of conventional swing he'd bowled and explain how he had changed his action to improve his swing bowling.

Lee certainly swung the red ball during the Ashes series, and I'm rather shocked that you missed it frankly. He didn't swing the ball often or for long periods of time, but he certainly swung it, and indeed took wickets with swing on several occasions. One thing he barely did at all was swing it reverse, for whatever reason, but he certainly swung it conventionally at times.
    he swung it conventionally very very rarely, and as ive said before swinging the ball on the odd occasion is as good enough as not swinging it at all. and while he didnt reverse the ball a lot he certainly reversed it a fair bit in the 2nd inning at trent bridge.

Actually no, it was swing for the most part. As I said, he swung the ball conventionally right through that spell, took several wickets with conventional outswingers, and did an interview with Mark Taylor immediately afterwards in which Taylor said "one thing you did today I haven't seen you do much before is swing the ball" and McGrath went on to say it was the best spell of conventional swing he'd bowled and explain how he had changed his action to improve his swing bowling.
    doubt it, there wasnt much swing in the air during the game, and there was a fair bit of seam which mcgrath exploited. i dont doubt that mcgrath can swing the ball at times but he most certainly didnt swing the ball during the 8/24 spell at perth.

doubt it, there wasnt much swing in the air during the game, and there was a fair bit of seam which mcgrath exploited. i dont doubt that mcgrath can swing the ball at times but he most certainly didnt swing the ball during the 8/24 spell at perth.
    Actually, Shoaib swung it significantly on the first morning as well.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Don't know what game you were watching. I saw plenty (for McGrath, I mean). Shocked me to be honest because the last time Glenn McGrath tried to consistently swing the ball, he was dropped after one Test (1994/95, first Test against England at Brisbane).

And FaaipDeOiad is right; Shoaib hooped the ball around as well. It was unusual for Perth because there usually isn't much around unless you're bowling with the Fremantle Doctor.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Actually, Shoaib swung it significantly on the first morning as well.
    yep he did and surprisingly enough trapped hayden in front of the wickets with an inswinger. but as the game wore on the amount of swing reduced and almost everyone of mcgraths 8/24(bar the occasional slight outswinger) came from seam movement.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread Information