• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martyn dropped from test squad

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
lee hasnt swung the red ball for the entire ashes series, and has rarely swung it throughout his career, except for the odd game(vs india at the SCG).
Lee certainly swung the red ball during the Ashes series, and I'm rather shocked that you missed it frankly. He didn't swing the ball often or for long periods of time, but he certainly swung it, and indeed took wickets with swing on several occasions. One thing he barely did at all was swing it reverse, for whatever reason, but he certainly swung it conventionally at times.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
seam actually
Actually no, it was swing for the most part. As I said, he swung the ball conventionally right through that spell, took several wickets with conventional outswingers, and did an interview with Mark Taylor immediately afterwards in which Taylor said "one thing you did today I haven't seen you do much before is swing the ball" and McGrath went on to say it was the best spell of conventional swing he'd bowled and explain how he had changed his action to improve his swing bowling.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Lee certainly swung the red ball during the Ashes series, and I'm rather shocked that you missed it frankly. He didn't swing the ball often or for long periods of time, but he certainly swung it, and indeed took wickets with swing on several occasions. One thing he barely did at all was swing it reverse, for whatever reason, but he certainly swung it conventionally at times.
he swung it conventionally very very rarely, and as ive said before swinging the ball on the odd occasion is as good enough as not swinging it at all. and while he didnt reverse the ball a lot he certainly reversed it a fair bit in the 2nd inning at trent bridge.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Actually no, it was swing for the most part. As I said, he swung the ball conventionally right through that spell, took several wickets with conventional outswingers, and did an interview with Mark Taylor immediately afterwards in which Taylor said "one thing you did today I haven't seen you do much before is swing the ball" and McGrath went on to say it was the best spell of conventional swing he'd bowled and explain how he had changed his action to improve his swing bowling.
doubt it, there wasnt much swing in the air during the game, and there was a fair bit of seam which mcgrath exploited. i dont doubt that mcgrath can swing the ball at times but he most certainly didnt swing the ball during the 8/24 spell at perth.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
doubt it, there wasnt much swing in the air during the game, and there was a fair bit of seam which mcgrath exploited. i dont doubt that mcgrath can swing the ball at times but he most certainly didnt swing the ball during the 8/24 spell at perth.
Actually, Shoaib swung it significantly on the first morning as well.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't know what game you were watching. I saw plenty (for McGrath, I mean). Shocked me to be honest because the last time Glenn McGrath tried to consistently swing the ball, he was dropped after one Test (1994/95, first Test against England at Brisbane).

And FaaipDeOiad is right; Shoaib hooped the ball around as well. It was unusual for Perth because there usually isn't much around unless you're bowling with the Fremantle Doctor.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Actually, Shoaib swung it significantly on the first morning as well.
yep he did and surprisingly enough trapped hayden in front of the wickets with an inswinger. but as the game wore on the amount of swing reduced and almost everyone of mcgraths 8/24(bar the occasional slight outswinger) came from seam movement.