• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knighthoods In Cricket

pskov

International 12th Man
In the past, a few great cricketers have been knighted (Sobers, Bradman, Hobbs, Hutton etc.) but I can't remeber anyone being knighted in ages. Is this 'trend' dead, as cricket is not as important a game in the English conciousness anymore? Or could it be revived if the Ashes fever becomes more temporary?

Also which current or recently retired players could you see getting knighted? I think Shane Warne is a real possibility.

EDIT: Just searched Cricinfo for 'sir'. It seems the last player to be knighted was Sir Richard Hadlee in 1990.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Shane Warne will not get knighted because he's Australian. Even if he is living in England.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
James90 said:
Shane Warne will not get knighted because he's Australian. Even if he is living in England.
What do you mean? You don't have to be English to be knighted.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But I think Australia, and also NZ, have dropped knighthoods in favour of their own honours, ONZM for NZ for example.

vladiator

Cricket Spectator
_Ed_ said:
But I think Australia, and also NZ, have dropped knighthoods in favour of their own honours, ONZM for NZ for example.
But does it preclude an Australian from being knighted? It is England giving the status, not Australia.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
vladiator said:
But does it preclude an Australian from being knighted? It is England giving the status, not Australia.
Yes they are not allowed to except them, the same as some Countries in the WI Clive Lloyd could not be given one for instance.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
i dont like the NZOM, id feel it a much greater honnour to be recognised to the extent of being knighted by the queen than being recognised by Helen Clarks friends. Also more people that merit a knighthood can be recognised, there can only be about 12 people in the NZ order of merit.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dasa said:
What do you mean? You don't have to be English to be knighted.
I'm not sure.

I think they can have honorary knighthoods (such as the likes of Spike Milligan, Bob Geldof and Bill Gates)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
If recent trend is anything to go by, Her Majesty the Queen seems to prefer giving knighthoods to coaches rather than the players when English teams have done well - Sir Alex Ferguson , Sir Clive Woodward ....etc...

whereas David Beckham and Johnny Wilkinson had to settle for mere MBEs and OBEs. :D

Ian Botham for istance has failed to go beyond the OBE mark !! :D

My guess is that if this trend continues - we could see Sir Duncan Fletcher the next sporting knight hood for winning the Ashes for England perhaps , while Freddie and Vaughan may have to settle for MBEs !! :laugh:

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
That is typical thing about England, win a major tournament and the coach gets a knighthood even though England have done stuff all since. Bit of an over-reaction IMO.

They give out OBEs, MBEs, CBEs in brown paper bags. I mean it looks nice and I'm sure it is lavish occassion but as CC they mean much all.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, others are correct, Australians will not be knighted as in the early 70s they dropped knighthoods for Australian honours. Some colonial countries can still get knighthoods, while others cannot.

Australian long-term prime ministers were routinely knighted until Menzies, after which there have been none. Cricketers are in the same boat.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
That is typical thing about England, win a major tournament and the coach gets a knighthood even though England have done stuff all since.
He was knighted within a few days - how could they have done anything in the intervening time?

Craig

World Traveller
What my point is that is a bit quick to give somebody a knighthood straight away, maybe when he has left his job then to decide if he has earnt it or not?