• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South African domestic season 2005/6

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
The UCB Provincial Cup started today and their were a couple of good performances.
Ethi Mbalathi (Northerns) took 4/35 against Easterns (131). Morne Morkel (Easterns) currently has 3/27 with Northerns struggling on 98/5.
For Border, Bennett and van Hoesslin scored 68 and 60 respectively against Eastern Province, with Warren Bell taking 2/32. Border are currently 184/5 in reply to EP's 176 (Richards 5/30).
M Sekhoto scored 80 of Gauteng's 242 all out. Ashley Schultz was the pick of Free State's bowlers with 5/51. Free State are currently 70/0 (Ingram 30*, de Kock 34*).
North West declared on 381/9, Werner Coetsee topscoring with 108. Juan le Roux also chipped in with 58. Griquas are 77/3 in reply.

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not really. Most of them would be South Africans playing under Kolpak and although they are classified as official overseas players, I wouldn't really call them that.

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Brent Kops is very talented but unfortunately, especially for the Warriors pace attack, he's struggling with an injured knee at the moment. He's just what South African cricket needs (besides a good spinner), a left-arm quick.

The Supersport Series officially starts on Thursday. Fixtures are as follows:

Warriors v Cobras (St. George's Park, PE) - Cobras should win this comfortably. The Warriors are without Johan Botha (fractured finger) and Brent Kops (knee injury). Tyron Henderson is also unavailable as he's taking part in the Hong Kong Sixes. Mario Olivier and Rowan Richards will make their debuts alongside spinner Robin Peterson (captain) and Mfuneko Ngam, who can hopefully go a season without injury *touch wood*. Cobras have also been strengthened by the signings of Monde Zondeki and Ian Harvey. Makhaya Ntini and Mark Boucher of the Warriors as well as Graeme Smith, Jacques Kallis, Herschelle Gibbs and Ashwell Prince of the Cobras will be on international duty. The batting on the Cobras' side looks fairly comfortable with the likes of Puttick, Duminy and Harvey but the Warriors line-up (Bradfield, Bruyns, Pope, Jacobs, Kreusch, de Wett & Sodumo) looks a little unstable in some areas and the difference between a bad and a decent score will depend a lot on Arno Jacobs.

Dolphins v Lions (Kingsmead, Durban) - This should be quite close. I can't see much between these two teams. Both have good bowling attacks, with Terbrugge and Kruger for the Lions and Klusener, Hayward (if he's on song) and Tweedie for the Dolphins. The batting line-ups are largely inexperienced but there are some talented young batsman like van Jaarsveld, Khan, Amla (who does perform at provincial level :P ), Stephen Cook, Ontong and Nkwe eager to make an impression on the selectors.

Titans v Eagles (Centurion) - I'll tip the Titans but it'll be close. The Eagles are the reigning champions (joint with Dolphins) in the competition but the Titans have such a good team that I can't see them getting an easy game. Bowling is good on both sides with Dale Steyn, Alfonso Thomas and Ethi Mbhalati (missing Andre Nel) for the Titans and Cliffe Deacon and Johan van der Wath for the Eagles. The spin bowling is also quite good by SA standards with Harris (Titans) and Tshabalala (Eagles). With the absence of Boeta Dippenaar (international duty) the batting will probably be centred around Jacques Rudolph, Jonathan Beukes and Davey Jacobs. Benji Hector and Morne van Wyk could also do some damage. Loots Bosman is dangerous but only if he comes off and it doesn't happen that often.
The Titans are missing Justin Kemp, Albie Morkel and AB de Villiers, so their batting will be centred around Zander de Bruyn and Martin van Jaarsveld (if he plays). They also have a few talented youngsters like Alviro Petersen and Maurice Aronstam.

Last edited:

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
The first games of the Supersport Series are underway. Some interesting first day scores 8-)

Official CricInfo Report

The Dolphins were made to pay for their decision to bowl first at Durban, after 48 from Blake Snijman at the top of the order and half-centuries from Justin Ontong (59 not out) and Neil McKenzie (65 not out). The only success for the Dolphins was two wickets from Jon Kent as the Lions went to 207 for 2 when bad light stopped play with nearly 30 overs remaining.

South Africa's selectors will be thanked for releasing AB de Villiers from national squad duties to play for the Titans in their season opener against the Eagles at Benoni. Coming to the crease at 54 for 3, de Villiers recovered the innings with Andre Seymore (52) and then was run out on 98 with the Titans having consolidated at 257 for 6. Pierre de Bruyn then took over the reins, steering them to 315 for 6 with a solid 59 not out at the close.

The Warriors made slow but steady progress against a disciplined Cobras attack at Port Elizabeth. Having been sent in under cloudy skies, the Warriors lost two quick wickets but recovered well with Carl Bradfield and Arno Jacobs putting together a 165-run partnership. Jacobs eventually went for 87, bowled by Ian Harvey to give him his first wicket. At the close the Warriors had moved to 245 for 5 with Bradfield unbeaten on 118. A feature of the play was that 107 overs were bowled, that is 11 more than the limit for the day.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Protea said:
The first games of the Supersport Series are underway. Some interesting first day scores 8-)
Interesting? Looks to have gone pretty much according to plan apart from the clouds in Durban...or am I missing something?`

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Interesting? Looks to have gone pretty much according to plan apart from the clouds in Durban...or am I missing something?`
Interesting if you support the Warriors...the fact that they managed to make 245/5 was pretty surprising in itself, especially since we were missing our most experienced batsman in Mark Bruyns. The wind in PE was also very strong and it probably wasn't the easiest condition to play under. Weighted bails wouldn't even stay in the grooves, if the wind when I was playing a match at school was any indication. We didn't even bother with the bails :p

I also expected the Lions to struggle a bit against the Dolphins, especially batting first at Kingsmead, which suits the fast bowlers so early in the season.

I also expected Martin van Jaarsveld to make more than 0 :dry: especially after his good season at Kent.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Protea said:
Interesting if you support the Warriors...the fact that they managed to make 245/5 was pretty surprising in itself, especially since we were missing our most experienced batsman in Mark Bruyns. The wind in PE was also very strong and it probably wasn't the easiest condition to play under. Weighted bails wouldn't even stay in the grooves, if the wind when I was playing a match at school was any indication. We didn't even bother with the bails :p
So, under the laws of cricket, no one was out bowled, stumped or run out? ;)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Ian Harvey Update:

Bowling: 11-5-27-1 (wicket of no. 4 Arno Jacobs, bowled for 87) Currently batting with JP Duminy, on 7* off 10.

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
So, under the laws of cricket, no one was out bowled, stumped or run out? ;)
Not under the laws of cricket, obviously...they did make allowances though, since it was a bunch of high school girls playing 8-) Our spinner is our keeper so no chance of a stumping anyway. Plenty of catches dropped though 8-)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Shocking defeat to the Cobras though, Im still gutted the way we capitulated that morning.. I was only at the ground for an hour and saw six wickets! You off to the game on Sunday Protea?

Oh and dont even talk to me about the wind here.. I've never batted in a wind so strong that it moved my backlift out towards point!..

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Of course...I wouldn't miss it for anything! Weather should be pretty good, as long as the wind doesn't blow. Weather forecast is mostly sunny, 28 degrees celcius (83 farenheit) Funny, CricInfo has listed the third ODI as Bloemfontein :blink: Who'd expect them to make a mistake like that :p

Warriors doing much better against the Titans, batting wise anyway, although CricInfo seem to be unable to function in East London, because they aren't giving live updates. SuperCricket says Titans are 334/3, Alviro Petersen just out for 140. Pity we can't seem to be taking any wickets. I would expect us to bowl a lot better, since we have Henderson back.