• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick five players.....

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Samuel_Vimes said:
This seems made for me.

Oh wait, Norway's domestic players s*ck.
:laugh:

And you don't have to asterisk out the word "suck". It's the word after that you have to censor. :p

On a more serious note, is there actually any kind of league in Norway? And do you play in it?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
:laugh:

And you don't have to asterisk out the word "suck". It's the word after that you have to censor. :p

On a more serious note, is there actually any kind of league in Norway? And do you play in it?
there is, there was an article in the Sunday Times today on the global game and it mentioned Norway in the graphic "There are now 19 teams in Oslo and Norway finished top in an 11 nation tournament in Austria"

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
superkingdave said:
there is, there was an article in the Sunday Times today on the global game and it mentioned Norway in the graphic "There are now 19 teams in Oslo and Norway finished top in an 11 nation tournament in Austria"
Think it's 16 in Oslo, one in Bærum (where I come from) and one in Drammen. And there's actually two leagues - with a running promotion and relegation system - and it's been going for at least four years.

Norway also won a 9-team tournament in Belgium this year - we (um, I mean Pakistan AZBE) are top ten in Europe.

The trouble is that the working language of the league is Urdu. Plus, my eyesight is worse than Neil's, so I'd be a right awful batsman.

C_C

International Captain
1. Yalaka Venugopal Rao - He should really be the prime contender for a test XI spot if one of the test batsmen gets replaced. He is a classic-mould test batsman and a throwback from the earlier days - excellent technique, good solid strokes and takes his time settling in. Not suited for ODI batsman ( a bit of Rahul Dravid earlier in his career ) but looks ready for Test cricket - has demolished almost any attack in domestic cricket and had one virtuoso performance where he scored an ubeaten 228 in the 4th innings to defeat ENG-A team, comprising of Mahmood-Francis-Simon Jones-Tredwell.

2. Shikhar Dhiwan - a solid and extremely talented opener who lit up the stage at U-19 world cup and has peformed pretty well in domestic cricket - he is one for the future and i can see him playing Tests for IND in 2-3 years time if Gambhir and Jadhav (who i think should be the next in line) fails

3. Dheeraj Jadhav- a opener in the mould of Matty Hayden - a thumper of the ball and extremely strong off his pads. He should get a chance to display his wares if Gambhir doesnt perform well

4. Shib Shankar Paul - A up-n-comming pacer in Indian domestic scene - his forte is that he bowls it medium fast, has an excellent outswinger to the right-handers ( for a change he isnt yet another left arm pacer from India) has a good command of line and length and gets it to bounce more than most indians due to his height. If Indian selectors clean up their acts and drop perinneal mediocres like Zaheer Khan, Ajit Agarkar etc. from the test squad on a permanent basis, he would be next in line after Pathan,Balaji and a much-improved Nehra.

5. Suresh Raina - a hard-hitting talented batsman who is very young and perhaps his only failing is that he gets carried away (due to inexperience) and plays too many shots. Needs a few more seasons in domestic cricket and A-tours but he is definately one for the future.

Langeveldt

Soutie
South Africa

1) Vaughn van Jaarsveld (talented batsman from Gauteng, captained SA U19)
2) Andrew Puttick (hirsute leftie from WP-Boland)
3) Tyrone Henderson
4) Thandi Tshalabala (spinner to replace Bojé?)
5) Enoch Nkwe

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Barney Rubble said:
Cricinfo says he's 16 years 9 days old.

And as regards his name, I thought Kervezee sounded Russian with the Alexei in front of it, that's why I wondered about it - if it's Dutch then that's the explanation. I was wondering if cricket was going to get it's first Russian - we've got a Croat, a Malaysian, a Greek (or two) and a Pole, so it wouldn't be a surprise.
Right, I though his bday was in october, lol.
Kervezee is dutch, alexei might be russian, dunno :)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Re: Cameron White - how long do you think it'll be (if ever) before his averages cross over? Around that time I think we'll probably see him introduced to the Oz side, that tends to be the case with a lot of all-rounders.
Not sure. I don't even know if they will... I'm not sure he's going to be good enough to play tests as a bowler, unless he really improves. I really liked the look of him in the OD games I saw last year, he played a particularly excellent knock in the 20/20 against Pakistan for Australia A. If his batting continues to grow, and he can be fairly economical with the ball (which I think he can... he's quick and flat and has an excellent wrong'un), he can be a good ODI player. His first class averages though... well I guess they'll cross if his batting average pushes up into the 30s.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
that you wont have heard off...

D Warner
M Henriques
M Paskal
E Cowan
T Cooper

might take them abit longer than 5 years though, depends how they go.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Cameron White improved both parts of his game dramatically last season and singlehandedly defeated Queensland at the 'Gabba. It's good that we have White and Cullen coming through as spinners while Watson and White can both claim to be allrounders. I think all 3 will play quite a few tests.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah hes like 17 or 18 this season, he will play a fair bot of 2nd XI for NSW this season i reakon, depending on form he might make FC or List A debut.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
4. Liam Plunkett (Durham) - accurate and quick seam bowler, and useful lower-order batsman. Could well make the ODI side in the next couple of years, and looks a good bet, given the performances he has delivered in a successful Durham side this year, to make the Test team at some point.
And as if by magic, Plunkett is named in the ODI squad to replace Darren Gough. :)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yeah when i went to lords there were loads of guys from nandos driving round on a bus waving cricket bats etc... shouting about saving portugese cricket :p

i still have a handout one of them managed to give me on my way into the ground actually, it has a moustache that you can peel off and stick somewhere, of course its labeled "official moustache of portugese cricket" :lol: