• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Their best knock/best bowling performances

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
What do you guys think is Dravid's best test knock and ODI knock?
draivd's played far too many great test knocks, but i'd think it would be a toss up between his 180 and his 148 against SA. the 180 might just shade it given the situation(he had been demoted down the order) and that no one saw it coming based on how poor he looked before that inning in the series..
his best ODI knock might just be his 84 vs SA in the standard bank intl series in 96/97, remembered mostly for his 6 off alan donald that really got donald fired up.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
For Lara, agreed on his test knock, but for his ODI one there's a few better I think. I remember two in particular, in consecutive matches in the 96/97 C&U series in Australia, where he scored a run a ball century in the first match and 90 in the second to get the West Indies home chasing big scores. The 90 was the better innings for me, because I remember watching it near the end and the Windies needed more than 12 an over, and they got it because Lara went absolutely mental and smashed about 50 off 3 or so overs with Samuels putting in some big hits too, including consecutive sixes off Warne and an over where he and Samuels absolutely destroyed Tom Moody. Finally off the last ball of the 49th over Warne got Lara out for 90 off 110, after he'd taken 80 or 90 balls to get to his 50. Bichel bowled the last over and got hit for four down the ground off the second ball and the Windies won, and Australia didn't make the final of their home tri-series for the first time in years. Amazing innings.
from all accounts lara's 153 vs pakistan at sharjah is supposed be his greatest ODI innings. it was also the same game where basit ali played his best knock - 127 off 79 deliveries against ambrose,walsh and k benjamin

Tom Halsey

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
For Warne, it is amazingly difficult, but for me it's probably his spell against Pakistan at Brisbane in 1995. The most amazing thing about it was how Warne just stamped his authority on the series. Pakistan had just come to Australia, and at the time were considered a real threat to a team that were the best in the world but weren't exactly dominant yet. Pakistan had the two Ws at their best, Saqlain, and a fairly formiddable batting lineup including some excellent players of spin bowling. Steve Waugh scored a century as Australia made 400+ on a relatively flat wicket, and Warne came out an absolutely destroyed Pakistan, taking 7 for 23 in 16 overs and bowling Pakistan out for 97. Warne finished with 11 for the match and took 19 for the series as Australia won 2-1, but it was gone as a contest after Warne bowled that spell. Simply incredible.
According to Warne himself, Pakistan are pretty woeful at playing spin. Having checked his average against them, I'm inclined to agree...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
A few responses to aussie's picks...

For Lara, agreed on his test knock, but for his ODI one there's a few better I think. I remember two in particular, in consecutive matches in the 96/97 C&U series in Australia, where he scored a run a ball century in the first match and 90 in the second to get the West Indies home chasing big scores. The 90 was the better innings for me, because I remember watching it near the end and the Windies needed more than 12 an over, and they got it because Lara went absolutely mental and smashed about 50 off 3 or so overs with Samuels putting in some big hits too, including consecutive sixes off Warne and an over where he and Samuels absolutely destroyed Tom Moody. Finally off the last ball of the 49th over Warne got Lara out for 90 off 110, after he'd taken 80 or 90 balls to get to his 50. Bichel bowled the last over and got hit for four down the ground off the second ball and the Windies won, and Australia didn't make the final of their home tri-series for the first time in years. Amazing innings.

Hayden's 203 against India was amazing, and probably deserves to be his best, but his century against Pakistan in Sharjah in high 40s temperatures against Shoaib, Waqar, Saqlain and Kaneria was quite amazing too.

For Warne, it is amazingly difficult, but for me it's probably his spell against Pakistan at Brisbane in 1995. The most amazing thing about it was how Warne just stamped his authority on the series. Pakistan had just come to Australia, and at the time were considered a real threat to a team that were the best in the world but weren't exactly dominant yet. Pakistan had the two Ws at their best, Saqlain, and a fairly formiddable batting lineup including some excellent players of spin bowling. Steve Waugh scored a century as Australia made 400+ on a relatively flat wicket, and Warne came out an absolutely destroyed Pakistan, taking 7 for 23 in 16 overs and bowling Pakistan out for 97. Warne finished with 11 for the match and took 19 for the series as Australia won 2-1, but it was gone as a contest after Warne bowled that spell. Simply incredible.

Warne's best in ODIs is from the 99 WC semi, but people forget the 96 WC semi where he did the same thing against the West Indies and brought Australia back into the match from nowhere.

For Steve Waugh, I can't go past his 200 against the West indies in 95. You'd be hard pressed to find a better example of someone standing up against a brilliant bowling attack and defeating them. After Waugh made that famous 63 in the third test on a horrific pitch, it was so clear he had the edge over the Windies attack, and he came out in the next test and just mauled them. Amazing stuff.
well sean with the exception of Hayden's other century in Sharjah, Warne 4 for in the 96 WC semi-final & Waugh 200 in Jamaica i've not seen any of these other performances live or on tape/dvd so my choices are restricted.....

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
......what's his best bowling performance? :p
Actually, he has had one decent bowling performance..2/43 in an ODI against SaF when they made 301/3. There's nothing Dravid can't do.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
LOL - that's really a poor attack they put out in that game!
it was the series that came under plenty of match fixing concern, and a lot of things that happened in that series didnt really make too much sense.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
McGrath:

Best bowling in test: definately his spell at lord's in 97
That was a good one, but his recent spell at Lord's was simply amazing, when Flintoff got bowled he just looked like he had no idea.
And I really liked his recent 8-for against Pakistan, simply because no one could play him.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
According to Warne himself, Pakistan are pretty woeful at playing spin. Having checked his average against them, I'm inclined to agree...
Some of them are. Certainly not all of them though, and a lot of the reputation Pakistan got for being poor against spin came from Warne anyway. Other spinners from the era like Murali and Kumble have comparable averages to their career record against Pakistan, Murali slightly higher and Kumble slightly lower. It's only Warne who totally dominated them. Pakistani players regularly face turning pitches and quality spin bowlers in domestic cricket, which is basically where talent against spin comes from. All of the subcontinent nations are quite proficient compared to say English players. If you're English or Australian, you generally learn to play spin through coaching and experience at internaitonal level, not as a junior player or in first class cricket.

Suggesting Pakistan are shocking against spin because Warne dominated them is like suggesting the West Indies are particularly good because Warne struggled against them. Neither are really true. Warne also has an excellent record against Sri Lanka, who are obviously very good players of spin for the most part.

Craig

World Traveller
Blaze said:
Best Astle Innings in tests - 222 vs. England (fastest double century ever and the best hitting I have ever seen in my life), same match as the one you guys were talking about above regarding Flintoff

Best Bond Bowling in ODI's - 6/23 vs. AUS in the world cup.

Best innings Fleming- the best I have ever seen him bat in either a one dayer or a test match would have to be his 100 against the FICA World XI even though it didn't have ODI status. It was just so out of character. 6's everywhere off both Warne and Murali.
It was of those innings when you are in the zone an no matter who was bowling would have been carted.

It was just special to witness it. Sometimes it is just nice to see a batsman just tee off and just blast the bowling, just like John Davison's ton against the WI in the 03WC.

Ok what is the best Michael Bevan ODI innings?

Yasir_194

Cricket Spectator
Best ODI innings of Flintoff would have to be against Pakistan during the 2000? series where he scored 80odd chasing 300+ to win...almost single handedly won the game for England....they did lose the next 2 matches howver and lost the series 2-1 :D

aliG

School Boy/Girl Captain
194 by Anwar in the heart of enemy territory. I felt bad when he popped one up at 194 and got caught. I'd be nervous too. Reaching dam near 200 in an ODI is a feat itselft...let alone thinking about making 200 or something. Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Suggesting Pakistan are shocking against spin because Warne dominated them is like suggesting the West Indies are particularly good because Warne struggled against them. Neither are really true. Warne also has an excellent record against Sri Lanka, who are obviously very good players of spin for the most part.
Yeah, I hadn't checked other spinners' records. I was only really basing it on Warne saying they weren't very good.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Ok what is the best Michael Bevan ODI innings?
Top 5 for me:
102 vs NZ at the MCG - This was of the highest class marshalling the tail superbly againt s the young Shane Bond who was bowling magnificently.

74 vs ENG at the WC
183 for R.O.W vs Asia :D
101 vs Ind at Sharjah 98 - this innings was overshadowed by Tendulkars brutal 140 odd
Even though i nevr say it his innings were he hit Harper for the last ball 4 at the SCG

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bevan's best ODI innings? Easy. 78* against the WI, 95/96. Australia were 6/38 chasing 180-odd and the WI had all of the momentum. Not only did he keep hitting the ball crisply all the way along the ground through point/cover, he shared a fantastic partnership with Paul Reiffel to boot. Was a generally tense game all-round but that is still the best ODI innings under pressure I've seen, probably equal 1st with Steve Waugh's 120 in the 1999 WC. I'm no Bevan fan but geez, what a knock.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Bevan's best ODI innings? Easy. 78* against the WI, 95/96. Australia were 6/38 chasing 180-odd and the WI had all of the momentum. Not only did he keep hitting the ball crisply all the way along the ground through point/cover, he shared a fantastic partnership with Paul Reiffel to boot. Was a generally tense game all-round but that is still the best ODI innings under pressure I've seen, probably equal 1st with Steve Waugh's 120 in the 1999 WC. I'm no Bevan fan but geez, what a knock.
That's the one for me too. With McGrath at the other end, hit a four down the ground off Roger Harper, who incidentally faked a ridiculous catch off Bevan earlier in the innings, where the ball bounced in front of him but the umpire was unsighted, he fumbled it, picked it up and turned around the claimed it, but Bevan stood his ground.

Other great Bevan knocks are the amazing one at the WC against England in 99, and his century against NZ in 2001/02.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With McGrath at the other end, hit a four down the ground off Roger Harper, who incidentally faked a ridiculous catch off Bevan earlier in the innings, where the ball bounced in front of him but the umpire was unsighted, he fumbled it, picked it up and turned around the claimed it, but Bevan stood his ground.
You're far too nice; he fumbled and claimed a simple catch he clearly dropped and knew he had therefore he tried to blatantly cheat. The ball rolled along the ground for a bit for crying out loud! It's difficult to look at someone the same way after something like that. I know the WI were desperate for his wicket at that point but that was ludicrous and under the current ICC rules, would have surely earned a pretty severe penalty. He might have been rubbed out for some time, in fact. It was THAT bad.