• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The real victim Saurav or Chappell

rohansen

Cricket Spectator
When I saw the famous interview that Saurav gave on that day, I didnt give much thought to it till all the TV channels and newspapers the next day had made a big story and told me what was there between the lines. Well its sad to see the cracks in Team India. I still remember the great Indian huddle in the world cup last year. How that one act demonstrated the close bond shared by the team members. But then what is the true story? Is Chappell really the devil as this story makes him out to be? Or is Ganguly the culprit as this article implies? Whatever the real story the victim has been Indian cricket. It had just emerged from the match-fixing mess to sink lower into the morass of petty personality fights. The great Indian huddle has changed to the great India wrestling hold. Can we have just plain vanilla cricket entertainment without these facny movie ingredients of drama, suspense, emotional thriller etc. As a cricket fan the current state of affairs saddens me.

adharcric

International Coach
rohansen said:
When I saw the famous interview that Saurav gave on that day, I didnt give much thought to it till all the TV channels and newspapers the next day had made a big story and told me what was there between the lines. Well its sad to see the cracks in Team India. I still remember the great Indian huddle in the world cup last year. How that one act demonstrated the close bond shared by the team members. But then what is the true story? Is Chappell really the devil as this story makes him out to be? Or is Ganguly the culprit as this article implies? Whatever the real story the victim has been Indian cricket. It had just emerged from the match-fixing mess to sink lower into the morass of petty personality fights. The great Indian huddle has changed to the great India wrestling hold. Can we have just plain vanilla cricket entertainment without these facny movie ingredients of drama, suspense, emotional thriller etc. As a cricket fan the current state of affairs saddens me.
Indeed, the true victim is Indian cricket. But Chappell is trying to instill discipline and make this a team based on performance. He tried to convey what he thought would be best for Ganguly's interests at this point, but Ganguly was too immature and proud to listen to the advice quietly. He's clearly insecure when it comes to his place in the team.

adharcric

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Exactly how is it in Ganguly's best interests (as a player) to not be playing?
From what I heard, Chappell said removing the responsibilities of captaincy may help Ganguly focus on fixing his batting. I've always been a Ganguly supporter, but he's no longer performing and the team is bigger than the individual.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, but from reports I've seen, Chappell told him that he shouldn't even be in the team.

Which prompted my initial question.

adharcric

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Yes, but from reports I've seen, Chappell told him that he shouldn't even be in the team.

Which prompted my initial question.
yeah that's a problem when you don't know which reports are accurate and which ones are a big load of bull ... i think chappell had the right idea (strict, performance-based selection) but the wrong kind of impulsive action. ganguly wasnt faultless though: as the captain, he should be mature enough to take chappell's suggestion and not get so publicly perturbed by it. if he has confidence in his abilities as captain and his return to form, he should accept chappell's suggestion as the reality and try to earn his place in the team.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
the only advise i would give you is DO NOT BELIEVE everything you read. You clearly have 2 differing views from 2 different angles,you now have to work out who'm to believe,but dont base it on the 2 articles and then form an opinion.
the truth will come out in the end and one person will stand proud while the other will make excuses.
However both ways the loser will be INDIAN cricket.and that is a crying shame as they should be now competing with Eng ,and Aus,as the top teams in world cricket.They need to sort out the mess and quick smart.IMHO

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
adharcric said:
Indeed, the true victim is Indian cricket. But Chappell is trying to instill discipline and make this a team based on performance. He tried to convey what he thought would be best for Ganguly's interests at this point, but Ganguly was too immature and proud to listen to the advice quietly. He's clearly insecure when it comes to his place in the team.
I was going to leave it with my last post but felt i needed to say something that i believe true.
India approached chappell to coach knowing that he was a man who will make the tough decisions.He is as honest as the day is long,and for years ,See 60 minutes in 2000, he has said he thinks that with the amount of players to pick from in indian cricket,there is no reason why this team should not be No 1 and on the worst years no 2. He said Australias dominance can be shattered by india getting there act together,they are the sleeping giant and all they needed was strong guidence instead of all factions wanting to rule the roost.this was years before he was appointed coach.
They have appointed the man,they must have the courage of their convictions now and follow what he believes is the right path for indian crickets sake. The article that slams chappell reads full of venom to me ,every story is very anti chappell, but saying things about a stubborn aussie should not come into it, What has chappells heritage got to do with anything,it appears someone has an axe to grind. I say change the coach,leave the captain,stay as is ,and leave India at number 3 or 4 in world cricket. For the longer this nation does not get its act together the longer England and Australia will rule the roost. A tough coach makes tough decissions,and must stand by them or perish.

Shounak

Banned
Who's the victim?

No-one..

Two strong, aggressive personalities clashing. That's all there is to it. Anyone looking at the two parties will understand something like this was bound to happen..

That's all it is.. Nothing more..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Honestly, I see this as just the tip of the iceberg. I am afraid all hell is going to break loose during the performance review of the Indian team which starts on september 25.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
No, its the other way round.
And how is that ?? I have clearly said on a no. of occasions that Ganguly doesn't deserve to be in the team either as a player or as a captain ? Let me guess that must make me a Ganguly supporter, doesn't it ?

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
Whether you think Chappell was right to say what he said or not (I do by the way), there is no doubt it was inconsiderate of Ganguly to let the whole world in on the news. A captain with any regard for his team's future would have been wise enough to keep his lips sealed and deal with problem one-on-one with the coach. Ganguly has done great service to India in the past but what happened three years ago isn't going to help us any in future. The future depends on the present, and what we have right now is a hopeless team living off past glories. IMO Ganguly needs to realize that now is the best time for him to close the curtains with grace and love of the people. If he continues to ignore reality, chances are someone will end his reign or he'll lead this fragile team into further regression. It's all up to him. Years ago, he gave Indian cricket the greatest gift by lifting an impoverished team to great heights. Now we're asking him another favour- to sacrifice his position for the sake of a fresh start.

Does Ganguly want to continue playing this childish game or be the selfless team man we all admired?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
shoot_me said:
Whether you think Chappell was right to say what he said or not (I do by the way), there is no doubt it was inconsiderate of Ganguly to let the whole world in on the news. A captain with any regard for his team's future would have been wise enough to keep his lips sealed and deal with problem one-on-one with the coach. Ganguly has done great service to India in the past but what happened three years ago isn't going to help us any in future. The future depends on the present, and what we have right now is a hopeless team living off past glories. IMO Ganguly needs to realize that now is the best time for him to close the curtains with grace and love of the people. If he continues to ignore reality, chances are someone will end his reign or he'll lead this fragile team into further regression. It's all up to him. Years ago, he gave Indian cricket the greatest gift by lifting an impoverished team to great heights. Now we're asking him another favour- to sacrifice his position for the sake of a fresh start.
You somehow seem convinced that Ganguly 'IS' the only problem this Indian team has and once he leaves, it will be world champs once again. Well my friend you are in for a surprise, Ganguly is going to go soon.

Does Ganguly want to continue playing this childish game or be the selfless team man we all admired?
When did you all admired him ?

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sanz said:
You somehow seem convinced that Ganguly 'IS' the only problem this Indian team has and once he leaves, it will be world champs once again. Well my friend you are in for a surprise, Ganguly is going to go soon.
No, as a matter of fact, I think there are several players in the Indian team who are self-centered besides Ganguly. I've said before that if India want to look towards the future, it should carry on with only players who have proved themselves worthy with recent performances and good attitudes, not ancient glories. Ganguly leaving would only be the start of a make-over. We ride too much on mere "potential" and should replace lazy stars with those who have the guts to fight it out, be it a youngster or senior. A team with fresh faces might lose, but I myself would prefer it to watching 30-year olds trying to prolong their dead careers. How about you?

When did you all admired him ?
At one point, I admired Ganguly for his style and swagger. He was different and he didn't care. It's only unfortunate that his character deteriorated so much through insecurity.

Deja moo

International Captain
Sanz said:
And how is that ?? I have clearly said on a no. of occasions that Ganguly doesn't deserve to be in the team either as a player or as a captain ? Let me guess that must make me a Ganguly supporter, doesn't it ?
Perhaps, but that isnt the issue here. The point is you've been lambasting a guy who had the courage to suggest something that should have been done quite a while ago. Thats where your tinted vision comes in.