• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cracks in my bat

sbv16

Cricket Spectator
Hey

I recently baught a slazenger v900 select bat. Slazenger claim the bat to be pre - knocked in but i decided to be safe and knock it in myself anyways just to be sure.

I borrowed a Gray nicolls cricket bat mallet from a friend and began to knock in the bat paying special attention to the edges. I worked around the edges for a while with the mallet then began to slowly round off the edges so that when i get a knick im less likely to cause serious damage. I did this for a couple of hours and then put a clear cover of extratec over the face of the bat. Everything was going fine so far and i took the bat into the nets with an old quality ball and hit some "throw downs". Like before everything was fine no cracks or signs of sever seem indentation on the bat.

After speaking to some players within my club it was suggested i continue knocking the bat in for a further 4 hours to make sure it was done properly. This time i went and baught a Kookaburra cricket bat mallet this mallet isnt like the gray nicolls one which has one side of the mallet which is flat and the other a rounded shape, the kookaburra mallet had both sides being rounded. I cntinued to knock in the bat with this new mallet while the extratec was on it. I began working on the edges of one side and rounding them off and hardening them hitting the bat on a 45 degree angle to the face of the bat, that side was fine. Then i did it on the other side and it started to crack down the edges they are only surface cracks they arent deep but there are cracks throughout only one side on the edge of the bat knowhere else.....

Is this normal???? i cant work out why it has cracked down only one side... have i done something wrong or should i take the bat back to where i baught it from....

Any help would be great

Shounak

Banned
Could suggest it's made of a poor quality wood. I've had a vertical crack down the top of one of my bats. I didn't knock it in enough (the top) and launched straight into play.

I know the GN bat mallet, that's the one I use. Not sure about the Kookaburra one, maybe you were hitting too hard?

Anyway, take it back to where you bought it. It shouldn't matter provided you haven't used it..

open365

International Vice-Captain
thats strange,really strange.

take the bat back to the place you bought it and se if they can do anything about it,tou should be able to get a refund or a new bat i think,especialy as you've only faced through downs with it so the cracks must look as if its a bat fault.

next time you get one,don't knock it in for another 4 hours,i've allways felt people knock bats in for too long,after about 3 hours or so it doesn't do any good,well for me anyway.

sbv16

Cricket Spectator
Thanx for such quick replies

I figured maybe i had hit the edges too hard but it doesnt explain why this side has cracks in it and the otherone doesnt :(

I purchased it from rebel sport i rang the store and they want me to leave the bat with them because they dont know much about them and they want to ask the slazenger rep about it.... weird i dont feel comfortable just "leaving" them with a $300 bat that i baught in the hope theyre gonna do something about it.

There are marks on the front of the bat from where i have hit throw downs does this mean they can say no to a replacement???

Shounak

Banned
Hell no..

Goods of unmerchantable quality..

You can drag their collective ars*s over hot coals if they offer you anything other then a refund.. But they won't deal with it.. The manufacturer will..

sbv16

Cricket Spectator
so that means o have to leave it with them and see what the rep has to say??? mmmmm this is gonna take ages

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sbv16 said:
so that means o have to leave it with them and see what the rep has to say??? mmmmm this is gonna take ages
No, he's saying that the shop would refund you and then get a refund themselves from the manufacturer later on.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
If they're surface cracks only, it shouldn't matter. A lot of bats will do that.

Langeveldt

Soutie
If there are surface "skin" cracks it shouldn't matter really, make sure its taped up if it doesnt have clear stuff on the front all ready.. My B&S Fireblade cracked slightly almost as soon as I got it, but has lasted me 2 years, providing its well oiled and taped there shouldnt be a problem.. Obviously if wood is starting to come loose then you have issues with it!

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
sbv16 said:
Hey

I recently baught a slazenger v900 select bat. Slazenger claim the bat to be pre - knocked in but i decided to be safe and knock it in myself anyways just to be sure.

I borrowed a Gray nicolls cricket bat mallet from a friend and began to knock in the bat paying special attention to the edges. I worked around the edges for a while with the mallet then began to slowly round off the edges so that when i get a knick im less likely to cause serious damage. I did this for a couple of hours and then put a clear cover of extratec over the face of the bat. Everything was going fine so far and i took the bat into the nets with an old quality ball and hit some "throw downs". Like before everything was fine no cracks or signs of sever seem indentation on the bat.

After speaking to some players within my club it was suggested i continue knocking the bat in for a further 4 hours to make sure it was done properly. This time i went and baught a Kookaburra cricket bat mallet this mallet isnt like the gray nicolls one which has one side of the mallet which is flat and the other a rounded shape, the kookaburra mallet had both sides being rounded. I cntinued to knock in the bat with this new mallet while the extratec was on it. I began working on the edges of one side and rounding them off and hardening them hitting the bat on a 45 degree angle to the face of the bat, that side was fine. Then i did it on the other side and it started to crack down the edges they are only surface cracks they arent deep but there are cracks throughout only one side on the edge of the bat knowhere else.....

Is this normal???? i cant work out why it has cracked down only one side... have i done something wrong or should i take the bat back to where i baught it from....

Any help would be great
Often you'll find cracks down the grain are a sign of a good bat.

sbv16

Cricket Spectator
Hey

Thanx for all the replies!

Sorry for delay in news.

I decided to hold off taking it in to the store and ask ppl at my club wehat they though.... All said they are minor surface cracks and nothing to worry about. So i left it.

There is a little bit of red wood down that side which may explain why surface cracks have appeared but i already have a cover of extratec on it so it should be fine if i look after it and keep an eye on the cracks.

Thanx for the help

satyavratverma

Cricket Spectator
Even my new bat got cracks

Hi,I bought a new bat-SS premium ,english willow.I got some vertical cracks on it..
Also got a crack on the toe of the bat..please help me to understand my bat...

Blain

U19 Captain
This is common with bats. Same thing happened with my Kookabura Beast about 5 years ago, even had a horizontal crack on the edge. I took it back, they said it was surface cracks, but put some carbon fibre tape on just in case. 5 years later, it goes just as well as I bought it.

Get some of that tape on the edges if you want to be sure, should hold them together nicely.