• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

excluding warne and flintoff, who were australia and englands players of the series ?

C_C

International Captain
I would say its between Langer and Ponting for Australia and Simon Jones and Tresco for England.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
C_C said:
I would say its between Langer and Ponting for Australia and Simon Jones and Tresco for England.
Ponting? One great innings aside I thought he was disappointing with the bat. Although he only played in 3 tests I think McGrath did more. The others I'd agree with.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
greg said:
Made to look a bit stupid by not having Hoggard in any trouble at all though! :laugh:
Yea that was a classic, Hoggard was playing him with a stick of rhubarb, then Channel 4 kept showing Brett's bright red face with the gritted teeth charging in followed by Hoggard playing each ball with an economy of effort.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Yea that was a classic, Hoggard was playing him with a stick of rhubarb, then Channel 4 kept showing Brett's bright red face with the gritted teeth charging in followed by Hoggard playing each ball with an economy of effort.
It was a flash-back to the first innings when McGrath beat him so many times and he responded with a big grin.

Mind you, he did do the same to Glenn when he batted.

grecian

Jones the quick for England, his reverse swing was almost as unplayable as Waqar in the early nineties!!

Lee lacks something, its not effort or pace, but he gets no unexpected bounce, and hence will be remembered as an average performer!

Langer was the man to get out in my opinion!

andyc

twctopcat said:
Simon Jones. The world be warned, once this man stops, only injury can stop him.....
:huh::blink:

Anyway, it's gotta be Langer and Jones (Simon, that is)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England: Simon Jones - The second-best bowler on either side for the series.
Aus: Justin Langer - The other Aussie to enhance his reputation for the series.

Criminally underrated: Marcus Trescothick - got England off to a flyer in most innings and was desperately unlucky not to get a ton. That 90 was an awesome knock and had he not played that get-out shot, would have gotten a big ton that day I reckon. Overall, he always looked as if he was hitting the ball very well and I think he did quite a bit to exorcise the demons of past Ashes campaigns.

Craig

World Traveller
If only Trescothick could get a ton but it is typical of Trescothick - gets a start and/or a fifty but doesn't always go on to make a hundred, and for him not get one is not good enough despite batting well for the whole series (anyone who says otherwise has low standards).

Simon Jones and Glenn McGrath (he really did bowl well in the three Tests he played and often looked like getting a wicket).

open365

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
If only Trescothick could get a ton but it is typical of Trescothick - gets a start and/or a fifty but doesn't always go on to make a hundred, and for him not get one is not good enough despite batting well for the whole series (anyone who says otherwise has low standards).

Simon Jones and Glenn McGrath (he really did bowl well in the three Tests he played and often looked like getting a wicket).
for trescothic to get as many runs as he did against an oposition he had previouslu strugled against is fantastic,he only really played the 'get out' shot once and i'd defintley rather have him and straus forming a consistent partnership that getting big scores,thats what we have numbers 3,4 and 5 for.

twctopcat

International Regular
Top_Cat said:
Criminally underrated: Marcus Trescothick - got England off to a flyer in most innings and was desperately unlucky not to get a ton. That 90 was an awesome knock and had he not played that get-out shot, would have gotten a big ton that day I reckon. Overall, he always looked as if he was hitting the ball very well and I think he did quite a bit to exorcise the demons of past Ashes campaigns.
Definitely, loved watching Tres this summer. His cover drives are so unique they make great viewing. :)

PY

International Coach
twctopcat said:
Lol, it had been a long day, and an even longer week. :wacko:
WAY O.T. : You started work in terms of graduate position yet mate and if you have, how's it going?

twctopcat

International Regular
PY said:
WAY O.T. : You started work in terms of graduate position yet mate and if you have, how's it going?
No, not a graduate job yet, though i'm aiming for that long term. Just working at home for 6 months to fill the cv up and get some money, maybe do a bit of travelling in the summer hopefully. Everything good with you?

PY

International Coach
Yeah not bad, the job this summer sucked but got me the readies required for this year.

Uni started again today with all the Freshers arriving fresh-faced and ready to drink I imagine. Felt pretty old though going into my 3rd year. :(

Big week ahead though methinks. :D