• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I feel sorry for Ricky Ponting

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Every day for the rest of his life, he's going to have to get up in the morning, look in the mirror, and see the scar that Steve Harmison's first-morning bouncer left on his right cheek, and be reminded of the fact that he was the captain who lost the Ashes.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, even someone as much as I dislike as much as I dislike Ponting.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You're either a liar or you've been turned soft by years of public schoolboy-ness and Matt Wood posters.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I have no ounce of sympathy at all. At the end of the day, his team were outplayed and Vaughan's team deserved to be the ones who won the Ashes far more.

As for the scar, I'm sure Willie Mason could do worse than Harmison

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
You're either a liar or you've been turned soft by years of public schoolboy-ness and Matt Wood posters.
I think it's the soft option.

But thinking about it now it's brought the whole "sub fielder rant" issue back to me, and I've now realised that I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest. I really do dislike that man, and losing the Ashes was his own fault any way. It was pretty much the only mark Harmy left on the series anyway - we've got to give him something.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel more sorry for Kasprowicz. Three more runs and Australia would have almost certainly retained the Ashes

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm sure it's a difficult life being a professional cricketer. I don't feel for him one bit.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
James90 said:
I feel more sorry for Kasprowicz. Three more runs and Australia would have almost certainly retained the Ashes
true, but if england had got one more wicket then they would have still won the ashes 3-2

and no i dont feel sorry for ponting, although he gives his all and is totally dedicated it was his inept captaincy that really cost australia at key times during the series, one wonders if warne was captain then would the result have been diffrent ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
true, but if england had got one more wicket then they would have still won the ashes 3-2
Nope, If Kasper had got 2 more runs and if England had got 1 more wicket, Australia would have still retained the ashes. ;)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I feel sorry for Punter, but it's more to do with him resembling GW Bush than anything else. :p

Great batter but pretty ordinary captain, think that's about right?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
And me.

And he also resembles a monkey from time to time, by the way.
Yep he definitely looks like a chimp. Ponting always reminds me of the George dubya impression on Dead Ringers as well.

open365

International Vice-Captain
i think Ponting was put through a tough time in the ashes.

i think he was a bit shell shocked by how england played and didnt have any plan b.

But lets rember he was also let down by himself and his fellow players so i don't think you could blame it all on ponting.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think those who went into the series rubbishing England should be copping most of the flack.. I know I thought England would be pasted 4-0, but that was due to Aussie greatness, not "Hoggard is a useless net bowler" type statements.. There are worse people in Aussie cricket than Ponting..

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
There are worse people in Aussie cricket than Ponting..
Dean Jones for one. The man is off his head. He worships at the feet of anyone with Australian blood, and refuses to acknowledge that anyone who isn't Australian could ever be any good. The man's probably writing his next article, on why Ponting is a better all-rounder than Flintoff as his figures this series prove, as we speak.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
glen mcgraths prediction of aussies 5 - 0 england, turned out to be a rather foolish thing to say as well, and yes the comments made about hoggard were stupidly contemptous and also backfired.

PY

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
The man's probably writing his next article, on why Ponting is a better all-rounder than Flintoff as his figures this series prove, as we speak.
Flintoff beat Ponting with his batting average in the Ashes series. :p

tooextracool

International Coach
if i ever feel sorry for ponting it might happen if he wins the toss and bowls again and his team goes for 400 in a day.

twctopcat

International Regular
Barney Rubble said:
Dean Jones for one. The man is off his head. He worships at the feet of anyone with Australian blood, and refuses to acknowledge that anyone who isn't Australian could ever be any good. The man's probably writing his next article, on why Ponting is a better all-rounder than Flintoff as his figures this series prove, as we speak.
Lol, "he's got the timing of a swiss watch" re: Martyn. Can't take Dean seriously ever again, not that i ever did!