• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Post Ashes Blueprint

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
na i think it would be extremely unfair ig Hogg is dropped his leg-spin has proved tp be extremely effective for Australia and he's so fit for his age. For me once his leg-spin remains effective in ODI's he should play in the WC.
It's going to be very hard for White to be a worse bowler than Hogg. He is a better batsman, so it's better to go with White.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
It's going to be very hard for White to be a worse bowler than Hogg. He is a better batsman, so it's better to go with White.
I think that's harsh. Hogg, while not being ground-breaking, has been reasonably effective for a while now (although I haven't checked stats).

Tom Halsey

International Coach
While we're on the subject of spinners for ODIs, here's my take:

Hogg - been reasonably effective when I've seen him, I see no reason to change.
MacGill - too innaccurate for ODIs, he's only played a handful for this reason I think.
White - never seen him, but going on a few reports, he's reasonably accurate (even if he doesn't turn it a huge amount). May give him a go in a few ODIs.

Mister Wright

Tom Halsey said:
While we're on the subject of spinners for ODIs, here's my take:

Hogg - been reasonably effective when I've seen him, I see no reason to change.
MacGill - too innaccurate for ODIs, he's only played a handful for this reason I think.
White - never seen him, but going on a few reports, he's reasonably accurate (even if he doesn't turn it a huge amount). May give him a go in a few ODIs.
You're incorrect on MacGill. He has been the best ING Cup bowler in Austrlia for several years now. He has a very good record for the 3 ODIs he has played and should have played more.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mister Wright said:
You're incorrect on MacGill. He has been the best ING Cup bowler in Austrlia for several years now. He has a very good record for the 3 ODIs he has played and should have played more.
I'd guess him being an absolute bunny would count against him; McGrath & he in the same ODI team could potentially be a bit of a liability.

Theoretically now, with the new sub law, he might be worth considering again. Hardly the future at his age tho.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
I think that's harsh. Hogg, while not being ground-breaking, has been reasonably effective for a while now (although I haven't checked stats).
exactly Hogg bowling has been very effective so in any case until he starts bowling tripe he shouldn't be axed, but talking about that at this stage either him, White or Warne could play in the next WC now that hollywood has kept chances of him return the pajamma's.

If Warne does play in the WC i would pick white has back-up since Warne leggies will be effective enough or course so in a way Hogg wouldn't be needed thus White added batting strenght would be good.

Mister Wright

BoyBrumby said:
I'd guess him being an absolute bunny would count against him; McGrath & he in the same ODI team could potentially be a bit of a liability.

Theoretically now, with the new sub law, he might be worth considering again. Hardly the future at his age tho.
Yeah, probably too old now, but you'd think with the supersub he'd be a good option.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
exactly Hogg bowling has been very effective so in any case until he starts bowling tripe he shouldn't be axed, but talking about that at this stage either him, White or Warne could play in the next WC now that hollywood has kept chances of him return the pajamma's.

If Warne does play in the WC i would pick white has back-up since Warne leggies will be effective enough or course so in a way Hogg wouldn't be needed thus White added batting strenght would be good.
Warne is 1,000,000-1 of making a return to ODIs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mister Wright said:
Yeah, probably too old now, but you'd think with the supersub he'd be a good option.
Not really because if Australia lose the toss and end up bowling first (or even if the win it and Ricky does an Edgbaston) he becomes a worthless option.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Not really because if Australia lose the toss and end up bowling first (or even if the win it and Ricky does an Edgbaston) he becomes a worthless option.
and how would he become worthless???

Mister Wright

marc71178 said:
Not if he's in the 11.... :wacko:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mister Wright said:
Not if he's in the 11.... :wacko:
I was reading him as being the sub, sorry.

Either way, it makes it difficult if you've got him and McGrath and have to bat first.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I was reading him as being the sub, sorry.

Either way, it makes it difficult if you've got him and McGrath and have to bat first.
well Hogg isn't the worst with the bat

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well I'm talking about having a tail including MacGill and McGrath in it, to which you replied that Hogg isn't bad with the bat.