• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Post Ashes Blueprint

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Australia's ODI team for rest of the summer & beyond

Well now that Watson & Tait wont be participating in the Australian ODI team for the VB series nor the 3 ODI's in NZ this summer & IMO Katich's place in the ODI side under a bit of scrutiny this is what i think the full strenght ODI side should look like for the ODI's this year:

Gilchrist
Clarke
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Hodge
Hussey
Hopes
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

Backups: Haddin, Wright, White, Katich, Lewis

Even though Katich batted well as an opener during the super series ODI's i still feel Clarke is a better option as an opener & Hodge would be a better ODI option that Katich.

Also with regards to the backups especially during the VB series with the world cup just around the corner i would think the selectors will want to preserve Gilly & Pigeon for most of the prelimanary matches thus Haddin & for me Wright would come since i see him as a better ODI option than Lewis.

But when the likes of Watson & Tait returns & probably if Dizzy gets his act together my full strenght ODI side would be:

Gilchrist
Clarke
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Hussey
Watson
Hopes
Hogg
Lee
Bracken or Dizzy if he comes good again
McGrath

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Dizzy one game away from test recall

``BANISHED Test quick Jason Gillespie is just one match away from earning a recall to international cricket, according to his mentor, Jeff Hammond.

Gillespie's development in the mid-1990s was overseen by renowned coach Hammond, with the fast bowler jumping into the Australia side following a series of startling displays for South Australia.

And it was Hammond to whom Gillespie turned for help when he returned from a demoralising Ashes tour, having been dropped mid-series as his wicket-taking form deserted him.

Gillespie's present challenge was easier than when he first broke into Test cricket because of the formidable reputation he had built over the course of 69 Tests, taking 251 wickets, Hammond said today.

"We broke (his problems) down ultimately to three or four significant reasons, and he won't need to do much more than win a (Pura Cup) game for SA, essentially cause two top order collapses, and that should be recognised," Hammond said.

"Jason has had a very small blip in form, basically three Test matches.

"The idiosyncrasies in his make-up had nothing to do with pace, and all to do with his whole psychology and modus operandi as a bowler.

"When you know these things are in place then you can achieve, and when he achieves he's a match winner."

When Gillespie arrived home from England, he spent a day with Hammond, 55, who re-emerged from early retirement to iron out problems he considered more psychological than technical.
The details of their meeting remain private, but Gillespie emerged from the seven-hour session a renewed bowler, as his handsome Pura Cup display (2-40 and 3-41) against Queensland this week proved.

Queensland captain Jimmy Maher and Redbacks counterpart Darren Lehmann were unanimous in the view that Gillespie was back.

"If he's been forgotten, there obviously wasn't anyone watching this game, because the way he bowled here, Jason Gillespie's international career is certainly not over," Maher said.

"If he's not back to his best, he's very close to it."

Gillespie's Test-turning capability is key to winning a recall, as it places him above numerous bowlers perceived to be ahead of him in the queue.

"There's a big difference between a contributor and a match winner, that's why the Australian selectors stuck by Mark Waugh for so long," Hammond said.

At 30, Gillespie is the same age as Test rookies Andrew Symonds and Brad Hodge, and five years younger than Glenn McGrath.

Gillespie's age, along with a growing awareness of how to maintain the fitness of tall, angular bowlers like him, should allow at least another three or four years at the top of the game, Hammond said.

"It is only in the last two or three years that cricket sides have learned how to keep these guys fit with their tall, thin physiques," he said.

"Jason was someone who got a lot of injuries before it was understood how he should be used. Bruce Reid was another.

"Now that has been dealt with, guys like Steve Harmison are going to be able to go around for a lot longer, and you'll see them get a lot more wickets.

"Physically, Jason is probably in the best condition he's ever been."

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
``BANISHED Test quick Jason Gillespie is just one match away from earning a recall to international cricket, according to his mentor, Jeff Hammond.
What they don't tell you is that match is the game between South Australia and Hobart Girls Blind School Second XI in 2009, and that they're talking about Subbuteo Cricket.

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
But when the likes of Watson & Tait returns & probably if Dizzy gets his act together my full strenght ODI side would be:

Gilchrist
Clarke
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Hussey
Watson
Hopes
Hogg
Lee
Bracken or Dizzy if he comes good again
McGrath
I like that side. I agree with you about Clarke opening, especially with a view towards the World Cup in the Windies. I just think that this World Cup will be very similar to the 1996 World Cup, where the batsmen - on absolute roads, with short boundaries - just blaze away from ball one. Therefore, guys like Clarke and Symonds need to get a decent opportunity up the order. I'd also like to see Warney return. I think Hogg - turning the ball back into the batsmen - will get smashed on the smaller grounds in the Windies. Warne is inspirational in pressure cooker environments - the way he lifted the team, from the depths, in the 1999 World Cup was incredible.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yea it would be real cool if Warne could come back & play in the World Cup, but until then we have to look at Hogg & White as our options, but i do get the gut feeling that Warne may well n play though...

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
aussie said:
yea it would be real cool if Warne could come back & play in the World Cup, but until then we have to look at Hogg & White as our options, but i do get the gut feeling that Warne may well n play though...
Warne will play the 2007 World Cup after regaining the Ashes for Australia the summer before! :p

He'll love it so much, he plays till he is 45! :blink: Thereby tormenting the Poms in another 2 Ashes series!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Australia ODI team for the upcoming VB series

Well IMO blokes McGrath & Gilchrist should be rested for the majority of the VB series this summer thus giving Haddin, Jaques & any other fast bowler to get a chance to show his worth in the ODI side, after all we are buildig towards defending the world cup again & Pigeon & Gilly are keys. But they can return for the VB finals...

My team for the prelimanary matches of the VB series

Haddin
Katich/Jaques
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke
Hussey
Lee
Hogg
Gillespie/Clark - or probably Lewis, Tait, Johnson
Bracken

Super-sub - between White & Hopes

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
Well IMO blokes McGrath & Gilchrist should be rested for the majority of the VB series this summer thus giving Haddin, Jaques & any other fast bowler to get a chance to show his worth in the ODI side, after all we are buildig towards defending the world cup again & Pigeon & Gilly are keys. But they can return for the VB finals...

My team for the prelimanary matches of the VB series

Haddin
Katich/Jaques
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke
Hussey
Lee
Hogg
Gillespie/Clarke - or probably Lewis, Tait, Johnson
Bracken

Super-sub - between White & Hopes
Argh Aussie, the bowler is called Clark, not Clarke

andyc

aussie said:
Even if Warne puts himself up for playing in the World Cup, I'd be pretty uneasy about picking someone who hasn't played one dayers for four years or so.

Mister Wright

andyc said:
Even if Warne puts himself up for playing in the World Cup, I'd be pretty uneasy about picking someone who hasn't played one dayers for four years or so.
Warne will not be back for the World Cup. The World Cup is 14 months away, if he was going to come back for the World Cup he would have returned to the ODI fold already.

howardj

International Coach
One guy who doesn't get much of a mention, in terms of our fast bowling future, is Paul Roffe from South Australia. Personally, I think he's a much better prospect than someone like Stuart Clark. At 24, he's six years younger than Clark, and has an equally good FC record. This season he's taken 24 wickets, at an average of 22. I really like Roffe's economy rate too. He's someone to definitely fill McGrath's shoes (however inadequately) when he bows out. Certainly, if guys like Tait and Lee are going to spearhead our attack, we need someone at the other end who is economical.

Pura Cup Stats:
2005/06: Average of 22; Economy Rate 3.0
2004/05: Average of 30; Economy Rate 2.67
2003/04: Average of 27; Economy Rate 3.06
2002/03: Average of 29; Economy Rate 2.6

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
One guy who doesn't get much of a mention, in terms of our fast bowling future, is Paul Roffe from South Australia. Personally, I think he's a much better prospect than someone like Stuart Clark. At 24, he's six years younger than Clark, and has an equally good FC record. This season he's taken 24 wickets, at an average of 22. I really like Roffe's economy rate too. He's someone to definitely fill McGrath's shoes (however inadequately) when he bows out. Certainly, if guys like Tait and Lee are going to spearhead our attack, we need someone at the other end who is economical.

Pura Cup Stats:
well its good to see Rofe bowling well this season because i had mentioned him before as a possible bowler for australian in the future but he was written of by i think Kyle (Mr.Wright) because he compared him to Dawes i.e a consistent domestic bowler but one who would never do enoguh to get the attention of the selectors.

Hopefully with this a start of good things for him & with Troy Cooley coming over next year he can work with him along with all the other future quicks i.e:

Tait
Johnson
Dorey
Rofe
Wise

Mister Wright

aussie said:
well its good to see Rofe bowling well this season because i had mentioned him before as a possible bowler for australian in the future but he was written of by i think Kyle (Mr.Wright) because he compared him to Dawes i.e a consistent domestic bowler but one who would never do enoguh to get the attention of the selectors.

Hopefully with this a start of good things for him & with Troy Cooley coming over next year he can work with him along with all the other future quicks i.e:

Tait
Johnson
Dorey
Rofe
Wise
I take HowardJ's judgements with a grain of salt, I mean this is a guy who didn't even know what hand Cosgrove batted with after putting him in his future side prediction.

IMO, Rofe is an 'ok' bowler, nothing special. However, who knows? Perhaps in a year or two we could see him in the national side.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
howardj said:

Pura Cup Stats:
Rofe's got to average less than 20 with the ball to make up for his tardiness in the field.