• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Post Ashes Blueprint

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
If you're going to change the captain, why Gilchrist over Warne? It can't be the age issue, since both of them are nearing retirement, and Warne is clearly the better cricketing brain.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
If you're going to change the captain, why Gilchrist over Warne? It can't be the age issue, since both of them are nearing retirement, and Warne is clearly the better cricketing brain.
Who was the captain for most of the series when Australia beat India...

I don't think Warne cricketing brain is that great, outside spin bowling

Deja moo

International Captain
chris.hinton said:
my Aussie Blueprint

"For England to keep hold of the Ashes for the next 200 years"

HAHAHAHA

2-1 2-1
If I'm not mistaken, you guys have held onto the original urn ever since the bails were burnt. Ever thought of actually letting the victorious team keep possession ;) ?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Just out of interest, I'm hearing a lot of talk since the series finished about this bloke Mitchell Johnson - if he is, indeed, "a once in a lifetime bowler", then what is it that makes him so? And how long will it be before we see him in international cricket?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Who was the captain for most of the series when Australia beat India...

I don't think Warne cricketing brain is that great, outside spin bowling
That was Ponting's team. Gilchrist did well in that series, but Warne is a cricketing genius and has worked wonders with Hampshire since he took over there. There's no doubt that if the captain was picked on pure tactical merit alone (which it would be if Ponting was dismissed, surely), it has to be Warne.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Just out of interest, I'm hearing a lot of talk since the series finished about this bloke Mitchell Johnson - if he is, indeed, "a once in a lifetime bowler", then what is it that makes him so? And how long will it be before we see him in international cricket?
Not sure what's so once in a lifetime about him, but that is indeed what Lillee said. Well, he's extremely quick and a left-armer with a whippy sort of action and a big jump. Not, so far as I know, a huge mover of the ball or particularly accurate. Not yet a regular in the Queensland first class lineup, but he's played a few games there and he's currently with the Australia A team in Pakistan.

PY

International Coach
Deja moo said:
If I'm not mistaken, you guys have held onto the original urn ever since the bails were burnt. Ever thought of actually letting the victorious team keep possession ;) ?
It seems to me that it's a little pointless shifting it around possibly every two years (it'd have to travel with which ever team was touring etc) just for the sake of it.

I have to admit, it would be a good idea to let the convicts have it for a while for people who will never get the chance to travel here to see it but in all honesty, I think there's too much of a risk to transport it a lot. Plus the players aren't playing for the actual urn, they are playing for what the urn means.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not sure what's so once in a lifetime about him, but that is indeed what Lillee said. Well, he's extremely quick and a left-armer with a whippy sort of action and a big jump. Not, so far as I know, a huge mover of the ball or particularly accurate. Not yet a regular in the Queensland first class lineup, but he's played a few games there and he's currently with the Australia A team in Pakistan.
Sounds a little like another Tait to me.

And how quick are we talking? Harmison-quick, Lee-quick, or what-the-hell-was-that quick?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:

And how quick are we talking? Harmison-quick, Lee-quick, or what-the-hell-was-that quick?
Not sure. Like Tait, he's never been clocked in domestic cricket. The fastest bowlers in Australian cricket right now excluding Lee are generally considered to be Tait, Johnson and Bird though (although Bird is currently having his action remodelled because he was chucking it and might come out slower). Tait, as we've seen is certainly Lee pace and maybe capable of being even quicker. I would say at a guess that Johnson is more in the Harmison spectrum, but it's quite hard to say, and he's a bit injury prone so might slow down anyway.

I wouldn't say he's much like Tait really, he's more like a young left-arm Lee, except he is probably a bit slower and has better height (in terms of release point) because of his big jump and action. His problem is definately accuracy right now anyway. Once he starts playing regularly for Queensland we'll get a better idea of how good he is.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not sure. Like Tait, he's never been clocked in domestic cricket. The fastest bowlers in Australian cricket right now excluding Lee are generally considered to be Tait, Johnson and Bird though (although Bird is currently having his action remodelled because he was chucking it and might come out slower). Tait, as we've seen is certainly Lee pace and maybe capable of being even quicker. I would say at a guess that Johnson is more in the Harmison spectrum, but it's quite hard to say, and he's a bit injury prone so might slow down anyway.

I wouldn't say he's much like Tait really, he's more like a young left-arm Lee, except he is probably a bit slower and has better height (in terms of release point) because of his big jump and action. His problem is definately accuracy right now anyway. Once he starts playing regularly for Queensland we'll get a better idea of how good he is.
It sounds like with a bit of luck, by the time the next Ashes in England 2009 comes around, Australia could be fielding a side containing three 95mph bowlers - Lee, Tait, and Johnson. If Johnson is in the Harmison spectrum, let us not forget Harmy sent one down at 96.7mph in the Champions Trophy, so even quick bowlers can get quicker. If Matthew Hoggard wasn't crapping himself on Monday evening, he will be in four years' time!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
It sounds like with a bit of luck, by the time the next Ashes in England 2009 comes around, Australia could be fielding a side containing three 95mph bowlers - Lee, Tait, and Johnson. If Johnson is in the Harmison spectrum, let us not forget Harmy sent one down at 96.7mph in the Champions Trophy, so even quick bowlers can get quicker. If Matthew Hoggard wasn't crapping himself on Monday evening, he will be in four years' time!
Well that's what's been mentioned a bit, yeah - the idea of an express four-prong in the future for Australia. Bird's been mentioned in the same vein as well - he's the guy who at junior level bowled to Michael Slater in some sort of friendly match and concussed him.

I think really Tait and Johnson need to find some sort of accuracy though. There's no point in picking 3 lightning quick bowlers in a team if they're not also capable of moving the ball and putting it in the right areas, and right now Tait is certainly developing well but Johnson has really stalled quite a bit with injuries and other problems. If he does come good though, it's a good prospect for an attack. :)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
If he does come good though, it's a good prospect for an attack. :)
Well I certainly wouldn't want to face it! But then again, I struggle against bowlers of Aftab Ahmed's pace, so........ :D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i wish people would stop calling for Punters head has skipper :dry: , yea he not the greatest tactican but he isn't all that bad. I have seen almost all of his games as skipper since he took over in 2002& at times he has made some magnificent decisions & some poor ones. The only way i can see him being axed has captain is if Australia play unbelivably poorly at home (which is unlikely to happen).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
I think Australia have to find a way to get Jaques and Watson in the side, they have to look towards the future. Guys like Hayden, Katich, Hussey, or Hodge are no longer long term options for Australia. These guys might be good enough to play for Australia for 2-4 years, but they need to look at building a side around guys like Clarke, Tait, Watson and Jaques, and get them into the side while Warne, McGrath and Gilchrist are still around.
agreed but other than Hayden, Hodge, Katich & especially Hussey baring their age will be very important in the coming years along with the younger blokes & the 3 legends, it should all be a good mixture, we shouldn't just discount them......

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FaaipDeOiad said:
That was Ponting's team. Gilchrist did well in that series, but Warne is a cricketing genius and has worked wonders with Hampshire since he took over there. There's no doubt that if the captain was picked on pure tactical merit alone (which it would be if Ponting was dismissed, surely), it has to be Warne.
But he doesn't play ODIs. And I think it is better to have one captain than two.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Mitchell Johnson is 24 and averages 36 in Pura Cup Career, yep i am really scared that he going to win the ashes back from us

Barney Rubble

International Coach
honestbharani said:
But he doesn't play ODIs. And I think it is better to have one captain than two.
Methinks that can be arranged. A lot of talk around here from those who usually know their stuff that Warne is in line for an ODI comeback, with a view to retirement after WC 2007.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Like Tait, he's never been clocked in domestic cricket.
Sorry but he has. Not in a Pura Cup match but I remember hearing from a few mates (which subsequently got a mention in Inside Edge) that when he was recovering from his first back injury, off 4 paces, he was clocked at 138km/h. In an academy match, he was in the high 140's but wasn't bowling full-out. I've heard rumours that before his current run of injuries, Johnson was likely to beat Brett Lee for consistent all-out pace.

You don't consider Harmi and Lee to be 'what the hell was that' quick?!??!

Johnson, at his quickest, is right up there. I don't know if he'll reach that again, though.

He bends the ball around quite a bit too. He has one of those sorts of actions where he's up with the bat and swinging it rather than trying to hit the seam. Big hooping in-swingers are his thing.

It sounds like with a bit of luck, by the time the next Ashes in England 2009 comes around, Australia could be fielding a side containing three 95mph bowlers - Lee, Tait, and Johnson.
I'd be extremely surprised if Lee is bowling even 90mph+ in 4 years time. He'll be 32, after all.

As for changes to the Aussie team, I don't think many are required. Replacing the captain is just panic-stations and unless there is serious team unrest, it would be foolish to change right now. Ponting made some mistakes, yes, but he should definitely remain captain.

Hayden probably prolonged his career a bit with that ton but he really struggled to get it. I think another home series is in order.

Langer was one of the few to enhance his reputation in the series. Had he not faced 400+ scores and been under pressure right away in three Tests, he'd probably have scored more.

Ponting had one of two really good knocks but the pressure of captaining and being the team's lynchpin with the bat took it's toll I think. He was undone by excellent bowling, I reckon.

Martyn had two shocking decisions, two soft dismissals, a couple of great balls and the rest. The bowling was probably mostly to blame but he'll come back from this. Certainly shouldn't be dropped or even considered when his record in the last two years is taken into account. Have faith.

Katich was undone by good bowling but also had a couple of his technical deficiencies outside off-stump laid-bare. That and I don't think he had any idea of which way the ball was going to swing when Flintoff was bowling.

Clarke batted quite well I thought. In several tight circumstances, he held the batting together but only temporarily. Tough cricket like what he faced will probably change him as a player. A key step in his development as Australia's future batting leader.

Gilchrist was Gilchrist. He played the same way he's played for his entire career and was figured out by Flintoff. Too bad. Next time he does it, he'll probably hit a run-a-ball ton.

Warne was Warne. 'nuff said.

Lee will hopefully go onto better things after this series. Occasionally in the series he looked like he'd but then he'd do what he did during Pietersen's ton and get smacked with ease. A bowler bowling 95+mph should NOT be hit with such ease.

McGrath was McGrath. Bowled tightly but without penetration in the 5th Test but that was lack of match-practice and a still-sore elbow and foot I reckon.

Tait was good. Solid start to his Test career. He'll only get better. He has the right attitude after-all.

Personally, I don't think the side should change for the Super Test. Bringing in Jacques is insanity whilst dropping Katich for Watson is a possibility. I don't knw if it would be entirely fair to put such pressure on Watson just yet, though.