• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Post Ashes Blueprint

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think what aussie is saying is that McGrath, Lee and Bracken will be the first three seamers in the ODI squad, and is asking if having Wright over Lewis and Clark in the fourth seamer spot is a good idea.

Still, I'd be inclined to agree that Lewis would be a better pick for that spot than Clark or Wright.
Agreed.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Wright's relative proficiency with the bat is an advantage though. I mean, with Lewis playing, Bracken at 9... *urgh*

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Wright's relative proficiency with the bat is an advantage though. I mean, with Lewis playing, Bracken at 9... *urgh*
yea exactly, he is a better all-round ODI option that both Lewis or Clark, better fieldsman, better bat & bowler. I for one would rather him have him in the sqaud.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
well who would you go for....
Personally, for the West Indies Test, I'd go for a middle-order of

4. Katich
5. Watson
6. Clarke

That's enough youth, I reckon - especially considering that the youthful Jacques is waiting for an opening spot. Next in line for Kat's spot would be whoever is making runs out of Symonds or Hodge.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
well who would you go for....
Symonds. Just as good, if not better with the bat, and even if people consider he isn't, he makes up for it with his more than handy bowling.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But what would his bowling add to the attack in Test Cricket?

There'd be no point him bowling spin if you've already got 2 leggies in the side, and his medium pace is about as threatening as Collingwood's in all honesty.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

There'd be no point him bowling spin if you've already got 2 leggies in the side, and his medium pace is about as threatening as Collingwood's in all honesty.
true, thats why i go back & say Martyn has to come back in their...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Waugh blasts Warne

From the beeb's website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/australia/4366486.stm

Actually he does nothing of the kind (but if we can have a "Fletcher blasts Oz" thread... :D ), although he has made some vaguely disparaging comments about St Shane in his new autobiography. SRW says, "Shane needs constant support, encouragement and reassurance that he is the man. He loves to be loved."

It would fit in with a few cod-psychological theories about compulsive philanderers being insecure at heart.

open365

International Vice-Captain
PY said:
I reckon Watson will be the key to the future for Australia because he's your Freddie (though obviously a little way to go), an all-rounder who can get in for his batting but also offers Ponting another option with the ball as a strike bowler or stock bowler. I've not seen enough of Watson to decide which he will be but if I was him, I'd start learning how to use the old ball in a way similar to Simon Jones and he could solve a few problems with the inconsistency of Lee and Tait.

I like the look of both your sides at the start of these thread (from a neutral perspective) because they look more balanced with Watson in. What about Katich opening the batting? I've heard someone mention that I'm sure.
i don't like watson that much,i don't see much potential in his bowling,he seems much more of a jaques kallis than an andrew flintoff to me.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Another thing that is annoying me...

When looking at Australia's next pace bowlers, all that seems to matter is "pace". Guys like Johnson and Bird get pointed out as being the next big thing simply because they're quick. If you look back at the Australian pace attack for the past 10-12 years, it's been built around guys like McDermott, Reiffel, Hughes, Fleming, Gillespie - all 130km/h to 140km/h bowlers. Erratic bowlers on flat pitches are too easy to get away - and generally, Australian pitches are very flat these days.

There is so much work put in development wise on people who bowl 140km/h+, instead of developing guys who can hit the seam and move it around at 130km/h to be able to take the next step.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:

When looking at Australia's next pace bowlers, all that seems to matter is "pace". Guys like Johnson and Bird get pointed out as being the next big thing simply because they're quick. If you look back at the Australian pace attack for the past 10-12 years, it's been built around guys like McDermott, Reiffel, Hughes, Fleming, Gillespie - all 130km/h to 140km/h bowlers. Erratic bowlers on flat pitches are too easy to get away - and generally, Australian pitches are very flat these days.

There is so much work put in development wise on people who bowl 140km/h+, instead of developing guys who can hit the seam and move it around at 130km/h to be able to take the next step.
well maybe their a change coming up....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Waugh helps to keep Lee

STEVE WAUGH wants to sit down with Brett Lee and plot ways to make him a better Test bowler.

Waugh feels Lee deserves better results for his supreme commitment and the potent weapons - pace and swing - at his disposal.

Lee has averaged 39 per Test wicket over the past five years and Waugh believes pace alone is not enough to guarantee success at Test level.

"He deserves better than he is getting. Like all cricketers, he has to get to know his game," said Waugh, who discussed Lee's career in his autobiography Out of My Comfort Zone (Viking, $49.95), which will be released today.

"Maybe he needs to get a bit smarter in the way he operates, particularly to the tailend batsmen.

"He is doing a lot of hard work but he is not getting the cheap easy wickets that make your figures justify the effort you put it.

"He is getting 2-100 when there are times when he is bowling well enough to get 4-60. He just needs some slight modifications and to look at how he is planning to get batsmen out.

"I am pretty keen to get together with Brett.

"He tried so hard in the Ashes series. His stats - 20 wickets at 40 - didn't show the effort he put in and the wickets he took.

"He has always been a man that has got wickets with extreme pace but that hasn't always got you through.
"Brett right now is going 100mph and busting a gut. I think everyone appreciates that and other bowlers are benefiting from his hard work. He needs to start benefiting from his own work."

Lee's best Test figures - 5-47 - were on debut against India and Waugh believes Lee must rediscover some of his early methods to maximise his returns.

"When Brett came on to the scene he bowled fast and in the right areas and had the benefit of people not seeing him," Waugh said.

"But he has to get back to that. Being more consistent.

"Get some short stuff in there occasionally but then get back into the corridor which Glenn McGrath owns.

"Batsmen are relaxing a bit more with Brett. They know they will get loose balls, so they will take him on."

For most of his career Lee has been revved up to be the enforcer of Australia's attack, for no-one else in the side can match his pace.

Lee has a crucial part to play in Australia's future. The 35-year-old McGrath cannot last forever and Australia are still unsure of the identity of their third best seamer, the man directly behind Lee.

The Courier-Mail

Mister Wright

marc71178 said:

There's no way he would be a main bowler. He would give 5-10 overs or whatever's needed during the day. However, if one of the bowlers is not having a good day, he can bowl a few more.

Mister Wright

vic_orthdox said:

Exactly. We should have seen from Lee's performances in test matches over the last 3 or 4 years that pace isn't everything in test cricket. While it is a big asset in one day cricket, you need to bowl with brains in test cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mister Wright said:
There's no way he would be a main bowler. He would give 5-10 overs or whatever's needed during the day. However, if one of the bowlers is not having a good day, he can bowl a few more.
So in other words his bowling should really be used as a factor to get him a batting spot then.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Exactly. We should have seen from Lee's performances in test matches over the last 3 or 4 years that pace isn't everything in test cricket. While it is a big asset in one day cricket, you need to bowl with brains in test cricket.
but how do you know Tait, Johnson, Bird will have the same problems as Lee in test cricket?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
aussie said:
but how do you know Tait, Johnson, Bird will have the same problems as Lee in test cricket?
Because Tait and Johnson have thus far not shown the ability to bowl consistent spells for their states. And it would seem that Bird is being moulded to play a similar role for NSW when Lee is away, the "blaster" to the steadiness of Clark and Bracken (when the ball isn't swinging).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Because Tait and Johnson have thus far not shown the ability to bowl consistent spells for their states. And it would seem that Bird is being moulded to play a similar role for NSW when Lee is away, the "blaster" to the steadiness of Clark and Bracken (when the ball isn't swinging).
fair enough, but look even though i agree with your idea, the problem is all of the potential next geneation fast bowlers with the exception of bracken are tearaways, none are of the likes of McGrath, McDermott, Hughes, Dizzy etc....