• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Post Ashes Blueprint

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Tait is the rookie. Lee is the over-rated paceman. :wacko:
fair enough, btw what are ur views on Martyn coming back into the test side, Watson batting at 5 & Pup going down to 6?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
aussie said:
fair enough, btw what are ur views on Martyn coming back into the test side, Watson batting at 5 & Pup going down to 6?
I'll pretend that question was aimed at me :p

Martyn currently is in the best XI for Australia, no doubt in my mind. However, now that the move has been made to give him the chop, you can't go back and put him in at the expense of someone who you see as playing for a longer period of time than what he will. There needs to be generational change, and there needs to be measures taken to ensure that we don't lose a heap of players all at once and leave ourselves in the same position that the Australian side were in the mid '80s.

As such, Martyn has to stay out of the side. The bullet has been bitten, you can't got back now. And there is currently a position waiting for a young batsman who has a fantastic year in Pura Cup cricket, because if Katich continues in his current form, they could well get rid of him prematurely too for a Ferguson, Philipson, North or a Marsh.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
I'll pretend that question was aimed at me :p

Martyn currently is in the best XI for Australia, no doubt in my mind. However, now that the move has been made to give him the chop, you can't go back and put him in at the expense of someone who you see as playing for a longer period of time than what he will. There needs to be generational change, and there needs to be measures taken to ensure that we don't lose a heap of players all at once and leave ourselves in the same position that the Australian side were in the mid '80s.

As such, Martyn has to stay out of the side. The bullet has been bitten, you can't got back now. And there is currently a position waiting for a young batsman who has a fantastic year in Pura Cup cricket, because if Katich continues in his current form, they could well get rid of him prematurely too for a Ferguson, Philipson, North or a Marsh.
ah this is the end of Martyn, this is crap the slectors should be assasinated :@ , ah well but in that case its time for Hodge to come in & shine if Katich doesn't get his act together that young batsman has to wait IMO.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
I wouldn't have dropped Martyn in the first place. In fact I wouldn't have dropped any of the batsman (except Hayden mid-Ashes tour if they had an adequate replacement).

I don't think it is impossible for Martyn to play the first test at the 'Gabba if Australian selectors are stupid and don't go with MacGill, but I doubt it would happen. I'd love to see Symonds get another chance at test level, I think he is a class player and his allround abilities would help the side out. However, if they stick with the same side, Clarke must go down and Watson must bat at 4.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
ah this is the end of Martyn, this is crap the slectors should be assasinated :@ , ah well but in that case its time for Hodge to come in & shine if Katich doesn't get his act together that young batsman has to wait IMO.
I don't think Hodge is the answer. He has been too inconsistent for too long, which is the reason why he hsan't been knocking on the door earlier. He is just as likely to play his firs 5 tests and score 500 runs, then next 5 struggle to score 50.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
And there is currently a position waiting for a young batsman who has a fantastic year in Pura Cup cricket, because if Katich continues in his current form, they could well get rid of him prematurely too for a Ferguson, Philipson, North or a Marsh.
Phil Jaques is better then all of them, if any young batsmen is going to be blooded it should be him.

Mister Wright

chaminda_00 said:
Phil Jaques is better then all of them, if any young batsmen is going to be blooded it should be him.
I agree. However selectors like to pigeon-hole openers as openers. You are almost setting yourself up for years of agony if you start opening for your state. You are competiting with 12 blokes for 2 spots. I know the middle order guys have more competition but there are more spots up for grabs. I can't see why someone like Hussey, Maher or Jaques couldn't bat in the middle order. The only guy I can't see playing in the middle order is Elliot because we've seen how impatient he gets having to wait to bat.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Jaques started his career as middle order batsmen and only moved up to the top of the order cus there was no spots in the NSW middle order. His got a better technique then Clarke or Watson, so if they want a new Number 4, he would fit in well. Hopefully the selectors aren't blinded by the fact that he opens now, but they probably will be if Katich is injured.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
Phil Jacques won't have to wait too long. He's ready made right now. As soon as Hayden goes through another rough trot, or even Langer for that matter, they'll get him in.

Long term, they'll be looking at putting one of the guys I mentioned into that middle order.

Mister Wright

chaminda_00 said:
Jaques started his career as middle order batsmen and only moved up to the top of the order cus there was no spots in the NSW middle order. His got a better technique then Clarke or Watson, so if they want a new Number 4, he would fit in well. Hopefully the selectors aren't blinded by the fact that he opens now, but they probably will be if Katich is injured.
So did Maher. I wouldn't be so sure on that, while Jaques is considered an opener he won't be selected in the middle order.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
But Maher is crap :p its a different situation. I think Langer got selected as a middle order batsmen when he was opening for WA, so it has happened before.

Mister Wright

chaminda_00 said:
But Maher is crap :p its a different situation. I think Langer got selected as a middle order batsmen when he was opening for WA, so it has happened before.
Now I know you're just stirring because Maher is anything but crap. Probably the most under-rated batsman in Australian domestic cricket.

I'm pretty sure langer debuted as an opener. Anyway, that was a long time ago with probably different selectors.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
Now I know you're just stirring because Maher is anything but crap. Probably the most under-rated batsman in Australian domestic cricket.

I'm pretty sure langer debuted as an opener. Anyway, that was a long time ago with probably different selectors.
And I'm pretty sure that Langer didn't debut as an opener. Came in at number 3 in his 1st Test, which was the infamous one run loss to the West Indies. At the time he was opening for WA, I'm pretty sure. Got 50 as well in the second innings of that game.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Maher not under-rated when it comes to domestic cricket, he is just under rated when it comes to his potential abilty in Test Cricket and his effectiveness in the ODI side.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well dont see how Jaques can come into the middle order, he will only get a chance when one of the openers goes into a trot

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
I don't think Hodge is the answer. He has been too inconsistent for too long, which is the reason why he hsan't been knocking on the door earlier. He is just as likely to play his firs 5 tests and score 500 runs, then next 5 struggle to score 50.
well then who else??? the selectors will surely give Hodge a go before they give Martyn another shot.Hodge may be inconisitent but of recent his form since about 2003 has been very consistent in the pura cup & i think he should be given a shot at the #4 slot.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Does anyone else agree with the idea of calling up Damien Wright has the 4th seamer in the ODI squad behind Pigeon, Bing & Bracken over Clark or Lewis if Tait doesn't recover for the remainder of the season?

Mister Wright

aussie said:
well then who else??? the selectors will surely give Hodge a go before they give Martyn another shot.Hodge may be inconisitent but of recent his form since about 2003 has been very consistent in the pura cup & i think he should be given a shot at the #4 slot.
Hodge may well be the next batsman called up, doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
Does anyone else agree with the idea of calling up Damien Wright has the 4th seamer in the ODI squad behind Pigeon, Bing & Bracken over Clark or Lewis if Tait doesn't recover for the remainder of the season?
God no. None of those except Lewis should get a go.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
God no. None of those except Lewis should get a go.
I think what aussie is saying is that McGrath, Lee and Bracken will be the first three seamers in the ODI squad, and is asking if having Wright over Lewis and Clark in the fourth seamer spot is a good idea.

Still, I'd be inclined to agree that Lewis would be a better pick for that spot than Clark or Wright.