Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Australia's Post Ashes Blueprint

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Yes.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Yes.
    good so why mention MaCgill

Great news Tait could be back before the end of the season

Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    good so why mention MaCgill
    Because someone else suggested he should be in the side...

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Sun-Herald columnist Mark Waugh selects a future Australian team to fill the void left by its ageing champions.

While the focus of the cricket community is normally on the international stage, this week sees the start of Australia's domestic competition.

State cricketers are only one step away from representing their country, but that honour often seems a million miles away.

However, with the Ashes lost and several Test players at the back end of their careers, all of a sudden an opportunity has presented itself.

In the next few years there is likely to be a significant turnover of players at the top level. The selectors have already shown their hand to a certain degree by dropping Damien Martyn and Jason Gillespie from the Test team and Matthew Hayden from the one-dayers.

I have never believed in the theory that you get rid of players because of their age, but the fact is many of the current squad will finish their careers at a similar time. Selectors are aiming to bring in younger players regularly and introduce the next generation. But these guys will be trying to fill some enormous shoes and, to be honest, I'm not convinced the next generation will reach the heights of the current crop.

Nevertheless, here is a team I've picked consisting of up-and-coming players who might one day fill the void left by our ageing champions.

Phil Jaques, age 26, NSW: A left-hander who has improved out of sight having played county and state cricket. Opens the batting with great gusto and an unorthodox style. Not conventional but a very instinctive, powerful striker of the ball.

Shaun Marsh, age 22, WA: Debuted at the age of 17 for WA and has the talent to go all the way. Beautiful timer of the ball who has all the shots. Just needs to sharpen up his footwork at the crease.

Dominic Thornely, age 27, NSW: A little bit older than the other guys but could still play Test cricket for five years. Had a big season last year for NSW when given the responsibility to play regularly and bat up the order. Class batsman, great fielder and handy bowler.

Callum Ferguson, age 20, SA: Had a very good season last summer, averaging nearly 40 at first-class level.

Marcus North, age 26, WA: A very strong upright player who plays spin and pace equally well. Great striker of the ball who can also bowl a bit of off spin.

Tom Stray, age 18, Vic: Has played Australia U-19s and has been earmarked by many good judges as a top-order batsman.

Chris Hartley, age 23, Qld: Continues the long list of high-quality glovemen from up north and, with the retirement of Wade Seccombe, will get plenty of opportunities to impress. Also very handy with the bat.

Moises Henriques, age 18, NSW: Like Tom Stray, is yet to play first-class cricket but is an all-rounder of immense talent. Right-hander who bowls at good pace and more than capable middle-order batsman.

Dan Cullen, age 21, SA: Right-arm off spinner who came onto the scene in a big way last season, taking 40-odd first-class wickets. Australia have been crying out of an quality finger spinner and he could just be the one.

Mitchell Johnson, age 23, QLD: Left-arm quick who possesses raw speed. Has been a little injury prone, but if he can stay fit he could be a very dangerous bowler.

Ben Edmondson, age 27, WA: He hasn't played much first-class cricket, but has plenty of talent and pace. Came from Queensland to WA and has shown enough to be thought of at high levels.

Beau Casson, age 22, WA: A Left-arm chinaman bowler who can add extra variety to any bowling attack. Has a very good wrong'un, but must be given more opportunities to show what other tricks he has got up his sleeve.

TWELVE HUNGRY MEN: MY PICKS FOR THE FUTURE

Phil Jaques (NSW)

Major teams: NSW, Northants, Worcestershire, Yorkshire

Position: opener, left-handed

First-class games: 65

Batting ave: 55.27

Shaun Marsh (WA)

Team: Western Australia

Position: middle order left-hander

First-class matches: 22

Batting ave: 50.62

Dominic Thornely (NSW)

Teams: NSW, Surrey

Position: right-handed all-rounder

First-class games: 22

Batting ave: 46.79

Bowling ave: 53.22

Callum Ferguson (SA)

Position: Right-handed batsman

First-class games: 10

Batting ave: 38.57

Marcus North (WA)

Major teams: Durham, Lancashire, WA

Position: left-handed, middle order batsman, right-arm off break bowler

First class games: 72

Batting ave: 39.93

Bowling ave: (38 wickets at 43.34)

Tom Stray (VIC)

Major teams: Australia under-19s

Position: Right-handed all-rounder

Chris Hartley (QLD)

Major teams: Queensland

Position: wicketkeeper

First-class games: 6

Batting ave: 29.28

Keeping stats: 30 dismissals (28 caughts and two stumpings)

Moises Henriques (NSW)

Major teams: Australia, NSW under-19s

Position: all-rounder

Dan Cullen (SA)

Major teams: Australia, SA

Position: right-arm off break bowler, right-handed batsman

First-class games: 12

Bowling ave: 31.32

Mitchell Johnson (QLD)

Position: left-arm fast bowler

First-class games: 7

Bowling ave: 36.35

Ben Edmondson (WA)

Major teams: Denmark, WA

Position: right-hand fast-medium bowler, left-handed batsman

First-class games: 15

Bowling ave: 62 wickets at 33.06

Beau Casson (WA)

Position: slow left-arm chinaman, right-handed batsman

First-class games: 15

Bowling ave: 46 wickets at 38.30
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

intersting from Mark waugh pretty much the players i had in mind only one new face that excites me is Henriques it will be interesting to see what his all-round capabilities are for sure...

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    yeah Henriques is a great prospect

Cricket Spectator - 1st Warning Maison's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj

I'd be bold and draft Phil Jacques as Hayden's replacement. Mike Hussey, whatever people say about his ODI form, has never been a great First Class (FC) player. For example, over the last five Pura Cup seasons he has averaged: 30; 35; 34; 41 and 55. I just think, if you are 31 years of age, shouldn't you have shown a little more than that? There's no way those statistics, for a 31 year old, warrant a Baggygreen.

what-a-load-a-crock, Hussey (mike) not even getting the nod from the article writer, the guy can get f***ed in my opinion.

Talking all this 'gobbly-gook' about 1st Class cricket?

ODIs
    -matches : 18
    -average : 104.75
    -innings : 11
    -not outs : 7
    -runs : 494
    -highest score - 85
    -strike rate - 93.31

now thats his ODI stuff, which apparently (as suggested by that article) 'should be just shrugged off' ("whatever people say about his ODI form...").

The guy says his First class stats arent good? Look at his newest year? 55 omg. the article writer is a tool. hussey as you can see in the figures from the article, they 'improve' every year.... (except 1 year, where it goes down by ONE RUN).

His FC Stats are...

-matches : 175
    -innings : 315
    -not outs : 27
    -runs : 15223
    -highest score : 331 NOT OUT
    -average - 52.85
    -100s : 39
    -50s : 66

considering how long his career has been in 1st class, its not bad....... jesus christ
    ""They haunt me, and defy me. For some, it's always how many.. but for me, its always, just one more"" - Justin Langer, Keep Walking ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Maison
    what-a-load-a-crock, Hussey (mike) not even getting the nod from the article writer, the guy can get f***ed in my opinion.

Talking all this 'gobbly-gook' about 1st Class cricket?

ODIs
    -matches : 18
    -average : 104.75
    -innings : 11
    -not outs : 7
    -runs : 494
    -highest score - 85
    -strike rate - 93.31

now thats his ODI stuff, which apparently (as suggested by that article) 'should be just shrugged off' ("whatever people say about his ODI form...").

The guy says his First class stats arent good? Look at his newest year? 55 omg. the article writer is a tool. hussey as you can see in the figures from the article, they 'improve' every year.... (except 1 year, where it goes down by ONE RUN).

His FC Stats are...

-matches : 175
    -innings : 315
    -not outs : 27
    -runs : 15223
    -highest score : 331 NOT OUT
    -average - 52.85
    -100s : 39
    -50s : 66

considering how long his career has been in 1st class, its not bad....... jesus christ
    Geez you really have serious problems to get yourself all worked up over a stranger's opinion (regarding a cricket player) on an Internet forum. Anyway...

Firstly, "Talking all this 'gobbly-gook' about 1st Class cricket"? What, are you saying that FC stats are irrelevant in determining whether a guy should play Test cricket. They are, clearly, a major consideration. Really, if you think that they are not, then that's a reflection on you - not me.

Secondly, his FC stats, in the FC arena that most closely resembles Test cricket, (the Pura Cup) are not good - clearly. Again, if you think that exceeding 42 in just one of the last five years is good, then again that's a reflection on you. Are you even familiar with what constitutes a decent season?

Finally, as for 'they improve every year' - look at the base from which they start. They start at a base of 30 and improve to only 42 (with the exception of the final year). Again, if you think improving on 30 to a mountainous 42 in a four year period, is a good effort, then good luck to you.

I mean, really if you're on the wrong side of 30 and your career Pura Cup average is 42 - it hardly indicates that you're tailor made for Test cricket. As for his County record, that's close to irrelevant. Furthermore, as Brett Lee has shown, success in the ODI does not necessarily translate into the Test arena.

So, in your own eloquent vernacular, you can go and "get ****ed, in my opinion".

Hussey FC record in the pura cup at his age may that maybe he may not be as successful in test but i dunno i cant see a guy batting so well againts the world's best & cant be able to be success at test level. Some may say Bevan was as good if not better but didn't crack it in tests but i reckon he could have been a good test player he was just unlucky to be part of this glorious aussie generation....

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    I think you will find Hussey FC record is greatly inflated by county cricket, but so is Jaques. Personally i would go for Jaques as the next opener, when Hayden fails again, as you should build a side for the next generation, rather then just the next couple years. If you don't blood guys like Jaques in now, then Australia will have the same situation as they have now with a side dominated by players who are 30 plus in another 4 years.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    Tom Stray, age 18, Vic: Has played Australia U-19s and has been earmarked by many good judges as a top-order batsman.

Tom Stray (VIC)

Major teams: Australia under-19s
    Hey vic do you know much about this guy, how good is he?

Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    Some may say Bevan was as good if not better but didn't crack it in tests but i reckon he could have been a good test player he was just unlucky to be part of this glorious aussie generation....
    So in any other era a career average of 29 over 18 tests wouldn't have had him dropped then?

I think the point is that he would have been recalled to most national teams, after multiple years of averages over 50 in FC and being the best ODI batsmen in the world, or atleast one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    I think the point is that he would have been recalled to most national teams, after multiple years of averages over 50 in FC and being the best ODI batsmen in the world, or atleast one of the best.
    yes thank you for clearing that up for Marc...

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information