• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ball of the century...overrated?

Swervy

International Captain
to be honest the ball of the century probably went by completely unnoticed..may have been edge for 4, for ever to be seen as a 4 in the scorebook....bless it...it could have had all the glory, if it had some luck :p

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The context in which the ball is bowled is really what makes certain balls memorable and warnes is a classic example of this

Langeveldt

Soutie
Given the duo's penchant for the big stage, I thought Allan Donald's "eradication" of Mike Atherton at Johannesburg in 1999 was a once in a lifetime ball..

greg

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
Given the duo's penchant for the big stage, I thought Allan Donald's "eradication" of Mike Atherton at Johannesburg in 1999 was a once in a lifetime ball..
Hmm. Dismissing Michael Atherton in the first over before he's scored a run? More like a twice a series kind of event 8-)

twctopcat

International Regular
I'd say it was as good a ball i've ever seen. It was the drift that made it special. At least a foot to the right and very late like reverse swing almost. The turn was obviously the icing on the cake. :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Honestly, that delivery was good but what about Giles delivery to Martyn, the ball pitching a bit outside leg and turning to hit off stump and he was bowling over the wicket and he is a damn good player of spin.. Come on guys, show some love for the King of Spain. :D If you think the 'surprise' element was the reason that ball was "ball of the century", this one has that element in a bigger degree.

greg

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
Honestly, that delivery was good but what about Giles delivery to Martyn, the ball pitching a bit outside leg and turning to hit off stump and he was bowling over the wicket and he is a damn good player of spin.. Come on guys, show some love for the King of Spain. :D If you think the 'surprise' element was the reason that ball was "ball of the century", this one has that element in a bigger degree.
Nah. He's bowled a ball equivalent or better than the Martyn one at least twice before. The best was his delivery to Cairns in the second innings at Trent bridge. As it pitched ON leg stump it was also far more difficult to play. Martyn just didn't move his feet at all.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
twctopcat said:
Gilo's was very good but there it didn't turn a great deal and wasn't any drift.
I actually meant that in a funny way more than anything else, what with so many guys saying he can't even turn the ball, so when he did turn it (To whatever extent), it should have been a surprise, nay, a shock. :D

greg

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
I actually meant that in a funny way more than anything else, what with so many guys saying he can't even turn the ball, so when he did turn it (To whatever extent), it should have been a surprise, nay, a shock. :D
Well it'll have to be an Australian selection then :D