• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian 2nd XI

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know the Australia 'A' side is on tour in Pakistan, but I don't think that is a 2nd XI squad as such. I got this idea after posting in the Super Series thread saying that Bevan's only chance of playing for Australia would be if the Aussie squad were to all die in a plane crash or bomb blast...so let's all be Aussie selectors and pick a team if that unfortunate event were to happen...

Rules, nobody from the Ashes squad can be picked and players must have played at least 1 full season of first class cricket in Australia.

Openers:

Jaques, Mike Hussey, Maher

As far as I can tell they are the only realistic options, Rogers would be another choice, but IMO these three players are the best (and most classy) options. Cox may also be a contender.

Number 3:

Love, Blewett

My choice would be for Love. Very unlucky to not get another test match after his 100* against Bangladesh. Love was much more ahead of Katich when Katich was selected against Zimbabwe and was robbed in the West Indies when Australia ridiculously went with 5 bowlers. Hodge would be in the team, but Love gives more balance at 3. Blewett - been there done that.

Middle order:

Symonds, Watson, North, David Hussey, Thornely, Bevan

Symonds has earned a recall, and also offers an extra bowling option, and I think Watson should go in ahead of North & Hussey. Hussey was dropped from the Victorian side, not exactly helping his selection chances. Thornely wouldn't even make my Australian 35th XI. Bevan, probably likely, but like Blewett has been tried and failed before.

Wicketkeeper:

Secombe, Hartley, Ronchi, Dawson, Manou

Secome is going to be one of those unluky players never to play for Australia, born 6 years later than he was, he would be a big chance. He is by far and away the best gloveman in the country, and he can more than hold his own with the bat. Manou would be 2nd choice - rate him highly. Other keepers are either too inexperience or too inconsistent.

Quick men:

Bichel, Noffke, Bracken, Lewis, Clark, Wright, Williams, Innes.

Bichel is too old, but would probably get the nod in an immediate situation, Noffke is so over-rated it is not funny (hopefully Johnson plays ahead of him this year). Bracken would play, had an impressive season last season and has done ok so far on his Pak 'A' tour. Don't see what the fuss about Lewis is, but he had a good season last season. Clark and Williams are ********. Wright offers a little with the bat, but probably isn't destructive enough to be a front line bowler. Innes is all over the place.

Spinners:

White, Cullen, Hauritz

This is where Australia struggles, in the spin department. Hauritz was the leading candidate before his shocker last season. However, I would pick him as the one day spinner. I had the opinion that White was ********, but he impressed me towards the end of last season, and is quite a good captain. I can't see what the fuss about Cullen is, a couple of reasonable matches and he gets a contract - I was dumbfounded.

Given all that, this would be the team I would select:

Jaques, M. Hussey, Love, Bevan, Symonds, Watson, White, Secombe, Bichel, Bracken, Lewis.
Yes, my team is slighty tilted towards Qld players, but Qld have made the last 7 finals and have quality players. And it is hard without being in the middle of a season to remember who all the players are. I'm sure other people will pick me up on some of them.

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Hodge in the squad for the Ashes?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
you should pick some hungary 23-25 years old in the next test series
I don't think a major over-reaction is the answer personally.

And I don't think the natural pecking order of replacements should be overlooked.

C_C

International Captain
Shouldnt a second XI, by definition, be selected from a pool of all players minus the first XI ?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
P Jaques
M Hussey
S Watson
D Lehman (c)
A Symonds
M North
L Ronchi
M Nicholson
D Cullen
M Lewis
M Johnson

Boof for captain, 2nd best captain in the country - after Warne - and adds plenty of experience to the side.

social

marc71178 said:
And I don't think the natural pecking order of replacements should be overlooked.
Why? The Aus selectors dont abide by those rules so neither should we.

Maher is a better opener than Hussey yet hasnt got a look in.

Lewis has a central contract yet Clarke is called up to the test team.

Hodge isnt one of the 10 best batsmen in Aus yet seems to be rewarded for long service to Vics.

Bevan, Lehmann and Kaspa have all been amongst the 11 best players in Aus for the better part of 10 years yet not picked at appropriate times.

Rather than attempting to follow whatever logic the national selectors use, on here we'd be better off doing what's right.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Why? Hodge isnt one of the 10 best batsmen in Aus yet seems to be rewarded for long service to Vics.
who are these 10 batsmen ahead of Hodge mayn, surely he's in the top 10 in AUS mate...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
aussie said:
who are these 10 batsmen ahead of Hodge mayn, surely he's in the top 10 in AUS mate...
Ricky Ponting
Justin Langer
Adam Gilchrist
Damien Martyn
Simon Katich
Matthew Hayden
Michael Clarke
Michael Bevan
Michael Hussey
Darren Lehmann
Martin Love

I could name more if I really thought about it...

Players on about par with him would include Greg Blewett and Matthew Elliott as well. Hes very lucky to be in the squad.

Last edited:

social

Prince EWS said:
Ricky Ponting
Justin Langer
Damien Martyn
Simon Katich
Matthew Hayden
Michael Clarke
Michael Bevan
Michael Hussey
Darren Lehmann
Martin Love

I could name more if I really thought about it...
Gilchrist