• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling style

Monty

U19 Cricketer
i am a right hand medium bowler but i wanna get good a bowling left handed i can do it okay but my run up feels weird can any one help

shaka

International Regular
same here mate, I have been working on bowling left arm. pace is slower and runup needs sorting out, but that is getting sorted by me through practice.

Shounak

Banned
shaka said:
same here mate, I have been working on bowling left arm. pace is slower and runup needs sorting out, but that is getting sorted by me through practice.
What's the point? I tried to start doing it, but realised it's pointless. Unless you're really young, you're non-dominant hand is highly unlikely to be as good as your dominant hand.

Might as well just spend the time practising on your dominant hand.

Although, throwing from the outfield, or even infield is a different story altogether..

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I have enough trouble with my right (natural) hand :p . I am happy that I am a decent wicketkeeper

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Monty said:
i am a right hand medium bowler but i wanna get good a bowling left handed i can do it okay but my run up feels weird can any one help
you taking the p!ss?

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Monty said:
nah mate it aint htat hard plus i bowl faster with my left
good on you then mate cos if I tried it I reckon I would hit myself in the back of the head with the ball.

For laughs, we often warm up at games with some fielding drills where we attempt left handed runouts (overarm)......bloody funny stuff!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Monty said:
The most difficult aspects of changing your bowling arm are not the arm itself and what it does but the feet, the other arm and the other shoulder.

You need to be able to run in, which is similar really and land your left foot parallel to the bowling crease at the beginning of the bowling stride. This is the tough part.

This also means, simultaneously bringing your right shoulder across and raising your right arm above and in front of your face as your body faces the cover fielder (for a right handed batsman. This is very tough to do.

You need to practice these two things first and once you can do this much, the left arm coming over will become easier.

Why do you want to bowl left handed anyway ? Because you think it gives you an edge ?

What do you bowl ? Pace or spin?

You may be able to do much more if you put in this much effort on your natural arm (assuming you are a natural right handed bowler).

Monty

U19 Cricketer
i want to bowl left cause it is faster also i bowl right arm leggies and left arm medium

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
you should start by just concentrating on bowling one type of style, stick with medium or spin, dont try and do all, concentrate on one type of bowling and take it from there.

Monty

U19 Cricketer
i cant pitch my leggies up enough to trouble the batsman any help i get tons of spin but cant pitch it up enough that is why i started bowling left cause i can bowl bouncers yorkers everything