• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Petition:- keepcricketfree.com

C_C

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Like this is going to make any difference! Money calls all the shots, we all know that..
Well, we gotto change that, dont we ?
:D :cool:

Shounak

Banned
It's the money which brings all the technology, sponsorship and professionalism.. Not really much that can realistically done about this..

C_C

International Captain
shounak said:
It's the money which brings all the technology, sponsorship and professionalism.. Not really much that can realistically done about this..
You will be surprised.

Shounak

Banned
Fair call..

But is there a way of offering cricket on free to air television? The only reason we got it in Aus, is because our PM's a cricket nut. He attends all the matches at the SCG and always wishes luck to "Ricky"..

But is there a way of changing how much money calls the shots? If anything, it'll get worse..

Morph more into soccer..

C_C

International Captain
shounak said:
Fair call..

But is there a way of offering cricket on free to air television? The only reason we got it in Aus, is because our PM's a cricket nut. He attends all the matches at the SCG and always wishes luck to "Ricky"..

But is there a way of changing how much money calls the shots? If anything, it'll get worse..

Morph more into soccer..

Sure is.
Regular channel viewership is highly profitable simply due to the money one makes due to advertisements. Zee/Sony/ESPN etc. offered BCCI 300 million dollars or so for their cricket deal...that only goes to show how much money is to be made if you wanna keep it on the basic channels. Sure, nobody is gonna ink that kinda deal outside of India when it comes to cricket ( because lets face it, India's consumer market is about second or third largest in the world) but there is a fair bit of dough there.
And that is more than adequate if you ask me, since the cricketers already are making decent money- it may not be top notch soccer style money but in my opinion, there is no justification for making 30,000 pounds a week.

Shounak

Banned
C_C said:
Sure is.
Regular channel viewership is highly profitable simply due to the money one makes due to advertisements. Zee/Sony/ESPN etc. offered BCCI 300 million dollars or so for their cricket deal...that only goes to show how much money is to be made if you wanna keep it on the basic channels. Sure, nobody is gonna ink that kinda deal outside of India when it comes to cricket ( because lets face it, India's consumer market is about second or third largest in the world) but there is a fair bit of dough there.
And that is more than adequate if you ask me, since the cricketers already are making decent money- it may not be top notch soccer style money but in my opinion, there is no justification for making 30,000 pounds a week.
India makes sense. But everyone with a tv in India has cable tv there. The free-to-air system is very basic there.

What about a market like England though? I doubt they would put the matches on free-to-air over there.

Unless of course they can get a large amount of viewers, therefore get heaps of ads and sponsors on during it..

I could understand them keeping cricket for the premium channels..

Slow Love™

International Captain
Jace11 said:
http://www.keepcricketfree.com/petition.asp

If you live in the UK and know about cricket, then you know its SKY from now-on and you'll have to pay-up to watch anything live... :@
I'm not in the UK, but keep up the good work mate. I signed your petition. In Australia we're still lucky enough to have cricket coverage on free-to-air, but I have no doubt this status will at some stage be endangered, and it's up to people to voice their disapproval of this, or risk losing it.

As to some of the responses in this thread: 8-)

I swear, one of these days somebody will have a petition to keep children out of slavery, and someone will respond "The world revolves around the dollar mate, nothing can be done."

Craig

World Traveller
C_C said:
One has to draw a balance between being a hooker for the mighty greenback and stifling development.
I must admit I quite like your turn of phases though.

Jace11

Cricket Spectator
As I understand it...

By law, England home test matches had to be shown on terrestrial television "free-to-air" until 1998 as they were on the listed events list. The ECB then asked for them to be de-listed so they could sell rights to SKY and put them on free-to-air and satellite (to broaden the audiance - I find this argument weird as anyone who has sky already has C4).

Then I started noticing last year and this year, some home tests were exclusive to SKY completely... Bangladesh series for example.

So something else clearly happened. Channel 4 has a problem as cricket interferes with scheduling and rain can ruin an entire day etc, but they had a pretty good team and their coverage was mainly good (took me a while to adjust to it - was dead against it in the beginning).

Anyway the bidding for the next rights for 4 years happened a while ago now, well before the Ashes. So everyone expected England to lose I suppose. The BBC didn't even bid for home tests and Channel 4 put in a small bid but SKY offered a big deal with exclusive rights. The ECB took the money, and in some ways I don't blame them. When you consider the BBC has digital channels with nothing on all day till 7... its a f***ing shambles. SKY have picked up another sport as they continue their quest to buy up everything. Champs League (wednesdays), Premier League...ODI Cricket now Test Cricket...

Sky has a monoply on most sports coverage in this country outside the protected events. You can't blame them for trying to sell dishes etc, but you have to wonder how much money was made from advertising during this series and what the coverage was worth. It was beamed across the world, 8 million or so regularly watching in the uk... And England won the Ashes on the funding from previous deals with all the infastructure in place etc.

The real damage is to those kids and fans who watched and got hooked... It just wound't have happened if they couldn't have watched it cause they didn't have sky and it wouldn't happen from watching 30 min highlights programs on 5.

My main gripe is with C4 and BBC for not even wanting it... Then the govenment for delisting.. Then ECB and then SKY for being the sport munchers we know they are..

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slow Love™ said:
I'm not in the UK, but keep up the good work mate. I signed your petition. In Australia we're still lucky enough to have cricket coverage on free-to-air, but I have no doubt this status will at some stage be endangered, and it's up to people to voice their disapproval of this, or risk losing it.

As to some of the responses in this thread: 8-)

I swear, one of these days somebody will have a petition to keep children out of slavery, and someone will respond "The world revolves around the dollar mate, nothing can be done."
Yep, totally agree. No surprise Langeveldt was the instigator :p

To digress for a second, I thought for a while that quote in your sig was from the movie Demolition Man starring Sly and Snipes. I swear for 2 minutes I sat there trying to figure out what part of that ridiculous yet fun to watch movie that quote was from. Then I realised it was said by Demoliton Man the poster.

Jace11

Cricket Spectator
marc71178 said:
But why should broadcasters pay money for something that they're likely to make a loss on?
Well why did SKY fork out so much for it? Anyway, as a licence-fee payer YOU fund the BBC, so are you getting your moneys worth? Dissappointed they just didn't even bother..

PY

International Coach
Jace11 said:
Well why did SKY fork out so much for it? Anyway, as a licence-fee payer YOU fund the BBC, so are you getting your moneys worth? Dissappointed they just didn't even bother..
Wouldn't bother, he's got Sky. :p

NOTE: I've no idea if Marc has or not. :)