• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mushtaq and Saqlain apply for UK citizenship

aliG

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mushtaq, Saqlain apply for UK citizenship

KARACHI: Two of Pakistan’s best spinners of the modern era, Mushtaq Ahmed and Saqlain Mushtaq, have applied for British citizenship although still playing county cricket as overseas players. ......
http://jang.com.pk/thenews/sep2005-...5/sports/s2.htm

Wonder if in an odd twist of fate, one of them ends up playing for england against pakistan in worldcup final, and pakistan loses because of them....aaaaand i think my brain is friend and ill go to sleep. having two jobs suck. but anyway, do discuss.

nehrafan

Banned
Some guys have all the luck, like these 2 guys are finally able to get out of hell and end up in paradise.

Congrats to both of them!

PY

International Coach
England could soon be seen to be answering all the threads we've had on here about a World XI. :D

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
both have said they still want to play for Pakistan - there are rumours Mushie might get picked for the England tour. The citizenship is more an intention of where they want to settle after their careers are over

aliG

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think mushtaq ahmed is done bro.

saqlain mushtaq might be a possibility...lol im curious as to how it turns out.

p.s. on a side note...check out this VIDEO. mushtaq ahmed takes on in the gut from afridi in practice. lmfao.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
nehrafan said:
Some guys have all the luck, like these 2 guys are finally able to get out of hell and end up in paradise.

Uhh.. am I the only one who finds that post extremely objectionable?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
honestbharani said:
So, if they are eligible for selection for England, what will happen to Giles?
IIRC there's a stipulation about the qualifying residence period being satisfied & they'd be unable to play for Pakistan in the mean time. So they're only eligible if it's more than 4 years since they last played test or ODI cricket for Pakistan.

But I guess they're more interested in just raising their families over here. IIRC Clive Lloyd is now a UK subject too.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
both have said they still want to play for Pakistan - there are rumours Mushie might get picked for the England tour. The citizenship is more an intention of where they want to settle after their careers are over
Dole queue?

Craig

World Traveller
Is there any limits to what county's have in foregin players so by having citizenship they can free up some spots if that is the case?

C_C

International Captain
I think Mushie and Saqqi might meet their residence criteria ( i am going by what BB said- 4 or so years since you last represented your nation)- I think Saqlain last played 1.5 years ago( so 2.5 more to go) and Mushie last played 2 or 3 years ago ( IIRC)- i dont think that is good news for Giles though- a geriatric Mushie and an offcolour saqlain are still leagues better than the wheelie bin.

PY

International Coach
nehrafan said:

Could you avoid being a poster-boy troll trying to flame-bait other members (most members I'm glad to say are capable of ignoring you but it seems some aren't) with your blatant stabs at Pakistan at every opportunity?

It doesn't bring anything to the forum, it's pointless and to be honest IMO, it shows a lack of intelligence.

Your co-operation would be much appreciated, and may this serve as a first warning.

Last edited:

Shoaib

Banned
nehrafan said:

And I think India is a paradise.Isn't it?U have continously been using degrading and unbearable remarks for Pakistan since u joined the forum and if u do it anymore,I would be forced to use even worst remarks for India.U r only a flame baiter & definitly the only CW forum member whom I hate from the core of my hate.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mushtaq Ahmed is the second best spinner I have ever seen, he can come and play for England till he is 45! And Saqlain is pretty awesome too, wow, it would be funny seeing an England team with so few English born players.. Although not when they start beating everyone..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I had to stretch the point by including Daffy, but we could almost put out a half-decent English test team with no English-born players:

1) Strauss (SAF)
2) Law (AUS)
3) Owais Shah (PAK)
4) Pietersen (SAF)
5) Joyce (IRE)
6) Usman Afzaal (PAK)
7) G Jones (PNG)
8) DeFreitas (DOM)
9) Min Patel (IND)
10) Caddick (NZL)
11) S Jones (WAL)

When all the Kolpaks have done their residence we could probably stick out a 2nd XI too! :D