• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mushtaq and Saqlain apply for UK citizenship

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Langeveldt said:
Werent Craig White, Tim Ambrose and Matt Prior born abroad?
White wasn't, Yorkshire-born but Victoria-raised. Ambrose (Oz) & Prior (SA) were, but can only play so many wicketkeepers in the one XI!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
White wasn't, Yorkshire-born but Victoria-raised. Ambrose (Oz) & Prior (SA) were, but can only play so many wicketkeepers in the one XI!
Can we not just aim for 1 first?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
I had to stretch the point by including Daffy, but we could almost put out a half-decent English test team with no English-born players:

1) Strauss (SAF)
2) Law (AUS)
3) Owais Shah (PAK)
4) Pietersen (SAF)
5) Joyce (IRE)
6) Usman Afzaal (PAK)
7) G Jones (PNG)
8) DeFreitas (DOM)
9) Min Patel (IND)
10) Caddick (NZL)
11) S Jones (WAL)

When all the Kolpaks have done their residence we could probably stick out a 2nd XI too! :D
DeFreitas is retired, isn't he? Suggest A Khan (DAN) as a replacement :p

aliG

School Boy/Girl Captain
kwek said:
not ahmjad! and he's still a danmarker :P
Does anyone actually think that mushtaq ahmed might play in the english squad in the future? I think he is done for! As for saqlain...It would be a good bet. Plus the money offered would be tough to beat anywhere else, especially Pakistan. I don't county cricket that much, but does anyone know if there are better spinners then saqlain, or even mushtaq in England?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
aliG said:
Does anyone actually think that mushtaq ahmed might play in the english squad in the future? I think he is done for! As for saqlain...It would be a good bet. Plus the money offered would be tough to beat anywhere else, especially Pakistan. I don't county cricket that much, but does anyone know if there are better spinners then saqlain, or even mushtaq in England?
75 wickets in the county championship this year at just over 26 each. No-one else has even taken 60 yet. If that's "done for" I wouldn't mind a bit of it! ;)

We haven't got a spinner close to him at all, unfortunately. Monty Panesar @ Northampton is putting some decent figures on the board (36 wickets @ just under 24 from only 7 matches), but I haven't seen him bowl yet.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Wantage Road is an absolute bunsen - Yorkshire are hoping Michael Vaughan is available next week, not for his batting but for his off spin!