• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How old are us CricketWeb members?

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
jamesicus said:
I know what you mean, luckyeddie. When I last visited Blackpool -- in 1998 -- I was saddened to see how tawdry it had become and surprised by the "Keep out of the Sea " signs due to pollution.

BTW, I noticed your Derby location -- I have so many fond memories of that city having spent quite a lot of time there both before, and during, WW2.

One of my father's brothers and his wife moved there sometime in the early to mid 1930s, I believe, to escape the textile job uncertainties and unemployment as the great depression enveloped Lancashire. As I recall, they both worked at Celanese and rented a cottage in the village of Spondon to be close to work. We stayed with them in that cottage when we drove down to Derby in 1937. Spondon was a beautiful rural village in those days -- I still have vivid memories of our stay there: being stung by nettles in the back garden of the cottage; seeing a huge bull in a field during a walk with my father and uncle -- listening to BBC cricket on the relay radio.

My uncle left Celanese to work for Rolls Royce when the war started and moved to 94 Lord St in Allenton in order to be closer to the factory. I visited them two or three times during the war but did not stay long for the Luftwaffe was raiding Derby, not only to try and bomb Rolls Royce, but also to go for the LMS railway carriage works and Celanese.

I remember spending some nights in the Lord Street back garden Anderson shelter during air raid alerts. Just some fond memories for me.

James
Mate, did you really know Sid Barnes? That's amazing. I love the story about him being Twelth Man :D I read about it in this book I have.

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
chooka_nick said:
Mate, did you really know Sid Barnes? That's amazing. I love the story about him being Twelth Man :D I read about it in this book I have.
Well, chooka_nick, as I write on my Web page ..... "I do not presume to say that I knew Sid Barnes, but he did acknowledge me with a friendly nod and an occasional word of greeting whenever he saw me in the Pavilion".

I was a great admirer of his magnificent off-side stroke play.

archie mac

International Coach
jamesicus said:
Well, chooka_nick, as I write on my Web page ..... "I do not presume to say that I knew Sid Barnes, but he did acknowledge me with a friendly nod and an occasional word of greeting whenever he saw me in the Pavilion".

I was a great admirer of his magnificent off-side stroke play.
I collect cricket books, and one signature I do not have, is that of 'Baga Barnes'. It seems he did not like to sign books. Did you ever aquire his autograph?

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
archie mac said:
I collect cricket books, and one signature I do not have, is that of 'Baga Barnes'. It seems he did not like to sign books. Did you ever aquire his autograph?
Yes, I did, and I prize it greatly for, as you point out, he was reluctant to sign anything -- unless he could realize a little cash for it! SGB was a very colourful character -- more impish than hurtful -- and he didn't see why he should give away his "persona". He greatly admired the gritty Lancashire League old-timer spectators -- they were generally quite poor (and tight with their money) and it touched him that they contibuted their hard earned "brass" so generously to the meritorious performance collections that he earned (batting score of 50 or better) in the Saturday afternoon matches.

It seemed to me that he always waved his bat in salute specifically to the "cheap" standing only area for he knew that they really appreciated great batting performances.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
This looked to be just another boring duplicate thread but Jamesicus and the questions and answers that are bringing out the war and old time cricket stories, have made it fascinating. Welcome Jamesicus and please keep the stories (memories) coming. How about some from our other youth-challenged?:D members.
24 btw.:)

archie mac

International Coach
jamesicus said:
Yes, I did, and I prize it greatly for, as you point out, he was reluctant to sign anything -- unless he could realize a little cash for it! SGB was a very colourful character -- more impish than hurtful -- and he didn't see why he should give away his "persona". He greatly admired the gritty Lancashire League old-timer spectators -- they were generally quite poor (and tight with their money) and it touched him that they contibuted their hard earned "brass" so generously to the meritorious performance collections that he earned (batting score of 50 or better) in the Saturday afternoon matches.

It seemed to me that he always waved his bat in salute specifically to the "cheap" standing only area for he knew that they really appreciated great batting performances.
I am envious :) I am sure your signature is the genuine article, but I read where he hired someone on the boat over to England (1948 I think) to forge his signature on all the team sheets and bats the players had to sign. Apparently this person miss spelt his first name, and the team had to sign them all again :D

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
archie mac said:
I am envious :) I am sure your signature is the genuine article, but I read where he hired someone on the boat over to England (1948 I think) to forge his signature on all the team sheets and bats the players had to sign. Apparently this person miss spelt his first name, and the team had to sign them all again :D
Yes, he signed it for me in person. The way I remember it, SGB had a rubber facsimile stamp of his signature made and used that. It was Ernie Toshack who paid a ship's steward to sign for him -- unfortunately the steward left the "c" out of Toshack on a thousand signatures -- all those sheets of team autographs were thrown overboard and had to be re-done!

archie mac

International Coach
jamesicus said:
Yes, he signed it for me in person. The way I remember it, SGB had a rubber facsimile stamp of his signature made and used that. It was Ernie Toshack who paid a ship's steward to sign for him -- unfortunately the steward left the "c" out of Toshack on a thousand signatures -- all those sheets of team autographs were thrown overboard and had to be re-done!

Ah yes it was the 'Dark Prince' . I stand corrected :)

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
jot1 said:
..... Jamesicus and the questions and answers that are bringing out the war and old time cricket stories, have made it fascinating. Welcome Jamesicus and please keep the stories (memories) coming .....
Thank you, jot1.