• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you feel?

Jace11

Cricket Spectator
Wow, what an amazing summer. Brilliant! We won back the Ashes, Pietersen smashed the Aussie bowlers around during the afternoon and took the match and the Ashes away from them, but it could still have been different.

When Bell came in I was as certain as anyone can be that he'd go for a duck... He just looks petrified under pressure. And then the wobbles set in. Just like at Trent Bridge the tension was there (I felt it), all results were still possible and the Aussies had momentum. Step forward KP. I was discussing with someone about the two new England middle order batsmen. Bell I hear is technically sound but obviously young and prone to pressure (0 & 0 this match) but KP swaggers with confidence in all situations, and money can't buy that. After a few narrow escapes which were difficult catches, he battered the Australians and calmed the nerves of England supporters. With Collingwood and Giles he found steady partners who progressed slowely while he raced to 158 on the biggest stage he has ever played.

I felt after the tight, tense matches of the previous weeks, if England were to win the Ashes, they had to put the Aussies out of the frame once and for all. I felt KP decided he was not going to let Trent Bridge, Old Trafford or Edgbaston style tension get into the equation.

At the end it was a strange finish and as a fan, I clamoured for a defining moment of victory, but bad light and a bit of farce left me feeling a little deflated...

However when Vaughan lifted the trophy in the evening gloom, I felt it was there. We won! We beat the invincible foe.

But, underneath that elation lay something else...

Sadness...

This is the end of a great summer, maybe the greatest summer of test cricket..

I saw most of it and know what I saw, I'll remember for a long time.

Part of me wishes we could play these Aussies once a fortnight. I like watching them as much as England. They are brilliant cricketers and great competitors. I think I am addicted to the tension and nervous energy these matches induce...

In a strange way I enjoy the contest more than the result...?? Does that make me a cricket fan?

Richie Benaud is leaving too, a changing of the guard... I grew up listening to him...

How do you feel now it's all over...

simmy

International Regular
Relieved... and excited!

Australia were just so damn arrogant coming over here with their 5-0 predictions and utter rubbish about mentral degradation and all that other crap.

England have beaten them... without Harmison firing (someone that before this series everyone was counting on) and also with Bell's poor form they were playing without a number 4 batsman!

Incredible show of guts and determination and I certainly feel that the most confident and determined side one the series and will continue to win series all over the world.

Warne in my opinion is the greatest competitor, in any sport, that has ever lived and at times he was a one man team!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ecstatic that I've been privelaged enough to see the best series of all time.. Brilliant cricket for the neutral..

Warne is the third best cricketer ever to have lived, behind Bradman and Sobers

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
pretty devasted to see Australia loose, but happy to see England come on so well...

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Play them every two weeks?? You're kidding me. My nerves are shot man. No, every two years is fine, thank'ee.

As to how I feel well, I started seriously watching in '89 when Border's team thrashed us, and it's been downhill since, so I am elated to say the least. Sad too though, that the summer is over, that I'll never see TGM and tgm play here again, but all good things must come to an end, and with death comes rebirth, maybe in the form of Fred, who may be the next legend.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jace11 said:
After a few narrow escapes which were difficult catches
Eh? Hayden's perhaps, but Warne's was a straightforward slip catch. A mediocre slip fielder would be disappointed to have dropped it, let alone Shane Warne.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
top series of cricket.

Very close to pick a winner but with God Smiling on England they came out on top. They also proved that they are definately the world's number 2 and more than worthy rivals for Australia. World cricket has now changed. Australia has lost some of it's talent and England has gained a whole heap.

There is still however I fear a major gap between 2 and 3 in the world but and if we can only fix this problem up then we will see more series like this.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Gutted for losing but giving no excuses and no regrets for England having their time in the sun.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

We'll come back bigger, stronger and much hungrier!!

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Jace11 said:
Wow, what an amazing summer. Brilliant! We won back the Ashes, Pietersen smashed the Aussie bowlers around during the afternoon and took the match and the Ashes away from them, but it could still have been different.

When Bell came in I was as certain as anyone can be that he'd go for a duck... He just looks petrified under pressure. And then the wobbles set in. Just like at Trent Bridge the tension was there (I felt it), all results were still possible and the Aussies had momentum. Step forward KP. I was discussing with someone about the two new England middle order batsmen. Bell I hear is technically sound but obviously young and prone to pressure (0 & 0 this match) but KP swaggers with confidence in all situations, and money can't buy that. After a few narrow escapes which were difficult catches, he battered the Australians and calmed the nerves of England supporters. With Collingwood and Giles he found steady partners who progressed slowely while he raced to 158 on the biggest stage he has ever played.

I felt after the tight, tense matches of the previous weeks, if England were to win the Ashes, they had to put the Aussies out of the frame once and for all. I felt KP decided he was not going to let Trent Bridge, Old Trafford or Edgbaston style tension get into the equation.

At the end it was a strange finish and as a fan, I clamoured for a defining moment of victory, but bad light and a bit of farce left me feeling a little deflated...

However when Vaughan lifted the trophy in the evening gloom, I felt it was there. We won! We beat the invincible foe.

But, underneath that elation lay something else...

Sadness...

This is the end of a great summer, maybe the greatest summer of test cricket..

I saw most of it and know what I saw, I'll remember for a long time.

Part of me wishes we could play these Aussies once a fortnight. I like watching them as much as England. They are brilliant cricketers and great competitors. I think I am addicted to the tension and nervous energy these matches induce...

In a strange way I enjoy the contest more than the result...?? Does that make me a cricket fan?

Richie Benaud is leaving too, a changing of the guard... I grew up listening to him...

How do you feel now it's all over...
hungry...I'm off to lunch

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I feel a bit sad that the cricket is over. I'm not too cut about the result, although I think with a bit of luck with the weather (and one particular catch!) Australia could well have won the final test and drawn the series, which would have been fairly fitting I think.

Looking forward to the Super Series now. :)

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
I can't help feeling we were screwed by weather. When we batted in good sunlight, we thrashed the pommie bowlers with even an out of form Hayden looking like his old self. But indeed we were rarely lucky enough to find ourselves batting in good conditions, whereas each time England came out to bat, out came the sun.

But, England were good enough to exploit those conditions, i suppose.