• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you feel?

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Anyway, Tait is certainly special, however you look at it. The deliveries he got Trescothick and Collingwood with in the tests were quite special. And the full toss he bowled two metres wide of leg, that was special too.
And the first famous sports identity posting at cricketweb is exposed...

greg

International Debutant
I know little about it so only post this as a point for discussion, but does nobody think that there might be some cause to properly examine if Australian domestic cricket is really all it is cracked up to be? As we know the leading wicket taker was Shaun Tait closely followed by Andy Bichel. If that's the best that Australian domestic cricket can offer then some questions must also be asked about whether the oft quoted "strength of Aussie batting" (which it seems to me many Australians are relying upon as the protection against the Windies style collapse at international level) is not just a little bit overhyped?

PY

International Coach
Come on mate, let's not go over board shall we not?

Aussie domestic cricket is twice as deep as England's so we can hardly criticise. The vast majority of the Aussie players who come over here pummel our bowling so bowling isn't exactly our strength. Just look at the problems we had with selection when Jones got injured.....

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tait? Special? Scraping the barrel a bit? He might be good, and very talented, but special seems a bit OTT when he's for all intents and purposes looked a bit like a liability to me..

Isolator

State 12th Man
Maybe he's special like the "special" kids in school.

Nah, just kidding.

BTW, can anyone give me some more information about this DVD? What will be on it?

greg

International Debutant
PY said:
Come on mate, let's not go over board shall we not?

Aussie domestic cricket is twice as deep as England's so we can hardly criticise. The vast majority of the Aussie players who come over here pummel our bowling so bowling isn't exactly our strength. Just look at the problems we had with selection when Jones got injured.....
The difference is that our first choice bowling attack won't need changing in the next two years. Anyway I didn't post to get into a discussion about the respective merits of Pura Cup vs County championship. My point was that Aussies who think they have loads of test class batsmen just waiting their turn in domestic cricket (which like i said is supposed to be their insurance against Windies type collapse) is not actually the reality.

(And Australian domestic cricket might actually suffer for once due to a lack of foreign bowlers which has enhanced the strength of county cricket in recent years)

PY

International Coach
Harmison gets a mention in the blurb for his 'sterling contribution' yet Jones doesn't get a word. Poor lad. :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slow Love™ said:
And the first famous sports identity posting at cricketweb is exposed...

HAHAHAHAH!

One of the funniest posts of recent times. Bruce rules!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Tait? Special? Scraping the barrel a bit? He might be good, and very talented, but special seems a bit OTT when he's for all intents and purposes looked a bit like a liability to me..
He's 22 and playing his first series. How did Harmison, Flintoff, Jones and Hoggard look a few years ago?

The point is that he has the weapons to be a devastating bowler. That doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be a star, but the fact that he's matured so fast (from grade cricket, to SA contract, to young player of the year, to breaking the wicket taking record in a season for his state, in four consecutive years) and remained injury free speaks highly of his chances. Just like Watson, don't write him off yet.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
The difference is that our first choice bowling attack won't need changing in the next two years. Anyway I didn't post to get into a discussion about the respective merits of Pura Cup vs County championship. My point was that Aussies who think they have loads of test class batsmen just waiting their turn in domestic cricket (which like i said is supposed to be their insurance against Windies type collapse) is not actually the reality.

(And Australian domestic cricket might actually suffer for once due to a lack of foreign bowlers which has enhanced the strength of county cricket in recent years)
I think the fact that someone like Ian Harvey averaged 20 over several years in the CC while he barely gets a bowl in the Pura Cup is a bigger indictment on English cricket than Bichel coming third in the wicket taking last season is over here is. Anyway, that's beside the point, because you can't really tell how good someone will be at test level from their first class performances. I do think, however, that if you're suggesting Australia don't have a good list of reserve batsman compared to every other country in the world you're underrating guys like Hussey, Hodge, Watson, Jaques and so on.

We'll see how these guys go if they get a run at test level, simple as that. All I've said on the matter is that I'm not worried about out batting depth in the slightest. If those guys come into the team and fail, well then certainly it's a problem, but we've got a strong list of guys who CAN come in right now, which with regard to bowling we don't exactly. There's some potential, but nobody who I can say outright should be next in line and is a potential star.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Personally, I feel overwhelmingly privileged to have been present while the greatest Test series ever played came to its thrilling climax, and to have witnessed the coming-of-age of a player who, as far as I'm concerned, could become as good as anyone who's played the game since Bradman. And yes, I am aware of the implications of that comment.

I also feel privileged to have witnessed the last stand on these shores of not only one of the greatest seam bowlers ever to have lived, but the man who in my mind is one of the five greatest sportsmen of all time. To not only revolutionise an aspect of a sport, but rejuvenate a nation, torment many others, astound everyone who witnesses him performing, continually lead his team back from the brink of adversity, and be at the forefront of one of history's greatest sporting teams were only a few of Shane Warne's contributions to sport. His legacy to cricket itself is immeasurable, and whilst I have cursed his name many times in the past for the pain he has inflicted on me as an England fan, he is the only Australian player whose name I would even consider singing as loudly as I sang "There's only one Shane Warne" at the Oval on Monday, and he is the only player in the last twenty years who has garnered as much respect from as many different corners of the world, as many different friends, enemies, opponents and team-mates, journalists and fans alike.

For as long as sport is played, Shane Warne will be remembered as the ultimate competitor, a man who not only bewitched opponents with his skills, but challenged them with his sheer willpower, and honoured their own achievements with his sportsmanship far more than he ever celebrated his own - the irony being that he has achieved more in his career than most cricketers would in ten careers.

In short, if there is ever a better day in my life, or if I ever witness a sporting event more filled with tension, passion, commitment, interest, skill, competitive spirit, and above all, sportsmanship, I will be a very contented man indeed.

Long live cricket.