• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The David Hookes verdict.....

cameeel

International Captain
Fairly predictable result there, though the whole court case was blown up completely in the media because it involved a sporting celebrity

Shounak

Banned
I was listening to this in the car. The news reporter kept referring to him as Hookesy. Seems a bit unfair.

But wasn't he hit in the back of the head? I don't think Hookes giving the guy attitude should excuse a king hit.

I guess they weren't able to prove the case beyond reasonable doubt, but I wonder what kind of a standing ovation Zdravko's gonna get from the Australian public.. Most people have already made up their minds..

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Legal technicality.

One man dead, the person who threw the king-hit walks free.

David Hookes was not perfect but he deserves better and the world knows it.

Shounak

Banned
social said:
Legal technicality.

One man dead, the person who threw the king-hit walks free.

David Hookes was not perfect but he deserves better and the world knows it.
I think the same. But don't worry the Australian public will mete out some kind of retribution to him. It may not be harsh enough. But life's a good evener..

social

shounak said:
I think the same. But don't worry the Australian public will mete out some kind of retribution to him. It may not be harsh enough. But life's a good evener..
Never happen.

Aus' arent in for revenge for revenge sake.

Guy's a no-name, case is over, everyone will forget about it.

Sad end to a fruitful life.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
There is nowhere near enough evidence infact what evidence there is seems to imply that Hookes was among the trouble makers. The guy threw a punch supposedly out of "self-defence". How many punches have been thrown in this world. I can't see any difference between a late night brawl on a street involving drunk people. And a brawl in a hockey game in the middle of the day on ice. Yet one we cheer and when the other happens we want to put them away for life.

Zdravko didn't intend to kill him. The damage was made on contact with the ground. He didn't hit him over the head with a baseball bat. Yes it was a unfortunate event which shouldn't have occurred. Yes it is a shame that such a personality's life ended suddenly, however I do feel pity for Milicic and the reputation he will now have.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I was furious when this happened - David Hookes was by far and away my favorite cricketer as I was growing up, and I remember going out of my way to go to Vic vs SA Shield games just to see him play.

I wanted to see this bast@rd put away for some time.

However, through following the trial, I can't really argue with the verdict. I think that perhaps they pursued the wrong charge, and this was probably as a result of all the media hysteria following Hookes' death. I would have just liked to have seen him done for a serious assault charge, whatever would have got him adequately punished for his conduct that evening. He shouldn't have followed Hookes and his party down the street to their cars, and he should have stayed out of their faces once they'd left the premises. And he should not have walked away with his friends when it was obvious that Hookes was at the very least, seriously injured.

However, the evidence suggests that his punch was not even that hard (it may well have been a restrained blow) and Hookes's death came down to the impact his head made with the pavement. But the fact of the matter is that, given what we know about what happened that night, it's not the type of situation you would reasonably expect to result in a death.

It's all very unfortunate - but I do think that Micevic should have been punished for how he acted, and I'm a bit confused as to why he wasn't facing more than the one charge in isolation.

social

Slow Love™ said:
I was furious when this happened - David Hookes was by far and away my favorite cricketer as I was growing up, and I remember going out of my way to go to Vic vs SA Shield games just to see him play.

I wanted to see this bast@rd put away for some time.

However, through following the trial, I can't really argue with the verdict. I think that perhaps they pursued the wrong charge, and this was probably as a result of all the media hysteria following Hookes' death. I would have just liked to have seen him done for a serious assault charge, whatever would have got him adequately punished for his conduct that evening. He shouldn't have followed Hookes and his party down the street to their cars, and he should have stayed out of their faces once they'd left the premises. And he should not have walked away with his friends when it was obvious that Hookes was at the very least, seriously injured.

However, the evidence suggests that his punch was not even that hard (it may well have been a restrained blow) and Hookes's death came down to the impact his head made with the pavement. But the fact of the matter is that, given what we know about what happened that night, it's not the type of situation you would reasonably expect to result in a death.

It's all very unfortunate - but I do think that Micevic should have been punished for how he acted, and I'm a bit confused as to why he wasn't facing more than the one charge in isolation.
Summed it up perfectly.

social

James90 said:
I do feel pity for Milicic and the reputation he will now have.
You must be kidding.

This guy has just dodged the biggest bullet of all time.

Feel sorry for Hookes' family and friends or the proprietors of the hotel that is now bankrupt because of the notoriety. But dont feel sorry for someone whose anger ended the life of another.