• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Pietersen " hubris" ? Geoff Boycott thinks so!

Is Pietersen Hubris ?

• Yes

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Boycott is Nuts

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
JASON said:
Unfortunately the better Team did not retain the Ashes though !! :mellow:
There was only one TEAM in the Ashes. Australia seemed to lack any sort of team spirit at any time until the chips were really down in tests 2-4, but by then they had left too much to do (and too many seemed to go missing anyway - Shane, god that he is, cannot do everything).

England's great strength was that, no matter the situation, every time they were in trouble, someone stuck their oar in and pulled that much harder.

The better team (by an absolute military mile) REGAINED the Ashes

C_C

International Captain
tooextracool said:
. if the arrogance gets to his head though
Ummm...that is a redundant statement. Arrogance is when confidence gets to one's head.....
Its like saying 'when overinflated ego gets into his head.....' , which again, is quiete redundant.

C_C

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
On the contrary - one innings can make a champion
I disagree......champions are best of the best - an essential prerequisite to being a champion or an alltime great player is having done it at the highest level for years after years. A lotta people have great innings or two, including quiete mediocre players.

PY

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Sure there are similarities, but there are far more between Gilchrist and Viv or even Sehwag and Viv. Pietersen's weak on the off-side, has a tendancy to get caught in the deep (you'll notice that the best hitters, like Gilchrist or Sehwag for example, rarely get caught in the deep because they pick the ball to hit better), and is inexperienced and hasn't even scored a test century yet.
I think I'm right in saying that Viv had a massive onside domination early on in his career and people to counter it plugged the offside and bowled outside off to him.

All that did was bring out his awesome talent which made him into one of the best, if not the best, player through the offside.

I'm pretty sure that was mentioned when the comparison with Pietersen was made too. :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
I disagree......champions are best of the best - an essential prerequisite to being a champion or an alltime great player is having done it at the highest level for years after years. A lotta people have great innings or two, including quiete mediocre players.
A champion is not necessarily an all-time great - I thought that you understood boxing.

A champion is someone who, when the chips are down, can suddenly find that inexplicable something that will enable them to carry the field.

It may be a 'lucky punch' - after all, Bruno came close to flooring Tyson and if he hadn't have stood off for 10 seconds wondering what he had done, boxing history might have taken an entirely unexpected direction - as it would but for Angelo Dundee's genius in 'finding' a tear in Clay's glove when Cooper had him reeling in 1963. Alternatively, it might be a magnificently crafted and executed plan enabling someone to turn things in their favour when everything seemed lost ('Rope-a-Dope').

No, until someone knocks him back into next week, Kevin Pietersen is a champion. Then again this is cricket so I don't expect you to understand. Your national sports are ice-hockey and seal-clubbing.

( :D )

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
shounak said:
It's youthful ****iness.. Like Maverick in Top Gun...

It doesn't fall into any of the poll options for me. Therefore I will withold my vote..

KP can be my wing-man any time.

C_C

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
A champion is not necessarily an all-time great - I thought that you understood boxing.

A champion is someone who, when the chips are down, can suddenly find that inexplicable something that will enable them to carry the field.

It may be a 'lucky punch' - after all, Bruno came close to flooring Tyson and if he hadn't have stood off for 10 seconds wondering what he had done, boxing history might have taken an entirely unexpected direction - as it would but for Angelo Dundee's genius in 'finding' a tear in Clay's glove when Cooper had him reeling in 1963. Alternatively, it might be a magnificently crafted and executed plan enabling someone to turn things in their favour when everything seemed lost ('Rope-a-Dope').

No, until someone knocks him back into next week, Kevin Pietersen is a champion. Then again this is cricket so I don't expect you to understand. Your national sports are ice-hockey and seal-clubbing.

( :D )

Well we have different definitions then. By your definition, champions are dime a dozen- since almost every player who has lasted 7-10 years or so has shown the ability to 'carry' the team in a particular series or two. I like to define superlatives ( such as 'champions'/alltime greats/etc) as a pretty select category- else it is no longer a superlative. I dont really follow boxing- i kinda dont like it. But i do know something about it- i used to do Kung Fu in highschool, did it for six years and have always kept a nominally informed base on hand to hand combat.

PS: Kin i borrow yer golf club fe me seal, ya good lad ?
:p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
tooextracool said:
KP's attitude is very similar to that of shane warne nad its not surprising that the 2 of them are good friends.
however KP isnt anywhere near as successful as Warne has been over his career. i dont mind the arrogance, because arrogant players are confident and tend to play better under pressure. if the arrogance gets to his head though, which may happen as his career progresses not only would it be a burder to him but also on the rest of the side.
yeah, don't have to look beyond Hayden to see the pitfalls of arrogance.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
Well we have different definitions then. By your definition, champions are dime a dozen- since almost every player who has lasted 7-10 years or so has shown the ability to 'carry' the team in a particular series or two. I like to define superlatives ( such as 'champions'/alltime greats/etc) as a pretty select category- else it is no longer a superlative. I dont really follow boxing- i kinda dont like it. But i do know something about it- i used to do Kung Fu in highschool, did it for six years and have always kept a nominally informed base on hand to hand combat.

PS: Kin i borrow yer golf club fe me seal, ya good lad ?
:p
The point I was alluding to was that when Pietersen came to the crease, England, for all their hard work in the previous three tests and the previous day, were staring slap, bang, straight down a Warne and McGrath double-barrelled shotgun. Needing to see out as much time as possible and with the hopes and aspirations of a nation riding on his back, he launched as dramatic and magnificent a counter-attack as anyone has ever seen in any cricket match on this soil since a certain Ian Terrence Botham had done something similar (albeit in marginally more difficult circumstances and slightly less spectacular manner) against a far inferior Australian side almost a quarter of a century ago. Oh, yes. For now, at least, Pietersen is a champion by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes, no problem. I've put new grips on my golf clubs recently so they won't slip and hurt somebody when the blood and blubber really start to fly.

Alternatively, you can borrow an old Jack Nicklaus "Golden Bear" driver - that'll suit you better.

It's got a wooden head

( :p )