• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

twctopcat

International Regular
aliG said:
Its ok to be jealous. Nothing to be ashamed off some facts. Cmon take it like a man. :laugh:

When afridi gets going, all you can wear is a sheepish smile on your face. Flintoff. Yea we'll see brother. I predict atleast another batting world record for mister afridi.
Lol, i thought that this ashes series was pretty good for rash statements but i can see that this one will comfortably beat it!!! Your boys haven't seen anything like our bowlers and won't be able to handle it. I just keep dreaming of Jones' reversing it round corners. Roll on November. :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Anyone know when the squad is named?

I'd imagine a squad of 15 or 16, which will probably be the 12 who've played in the Ashes, plus Tremlett, a spinner (probably Batty :(), a spare batsman (Joyce IMO) and a reserve keeper (Foster or Read)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aliG said:
Its ok to be jealous. Nothing to be ashamed off some facts. Cmon take it like a man. :laugh:

When afridi gets going, all you can wear is a sheepish smile on your face. Flintoff. Yea we'll see brother. I predict atleast another batting world record for mister afridi.
I remember that joke that is Shahid Afridi signing for Derbyshire in 2004. So rubbish was he that Cricinfo don't even list Derbyshire as one of his clubs - hardly surprising really. He might as well have been playing for the opposition for all the good he was.

Poor man's Rikki Clarke, if you ask me.

twctopcat

International Regular
The law of the sod suggests that Afridi hits top form in 2 months time, somehow i doubt it though....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:

I'd imagine a squad of 15 or 16, which will probably be the 12 who've played in the Ashes, plus Tremlett, a spinner (probably Batty :(), a spare batsman (Joyce IMO) and a reserve keeper (Foster or Read)
Tomorrow week, I think. I think you're more or less right with the squad (16 man I'd guess) too. Anderson may get the nod ahead of Tremlett tho if the 5th test was anything to go by & I'd say Swann would go ahead of Batty now.

Outside tips for me would be Shah as batter (he's scored good runs this year) & Pothas as reserve keeper.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Tomorrow week, I think. I think you're more or less right with the squad (16 man I'd guess) too. Anderson may get the nod ahead of Tremlett tho if the 5th test was anything to go by & I'd say Swann would go ahead of Batty now.

Outside tips for me would be Shah as batter (he's scored good runs this year) & Pothas as reserve keeper.
Maybe Shaun Udal as the 2nd spinner. I know he's almost as old as I am, but he's probably the best offie in the CC.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
BoyBrumby said:

Has Pothas served the qualification period? I think Prior is the likeliest to displace Read, as we know he's highly rated as a batsman.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Neil Pickup said:
Has Pothas served the qualification period? I think Prior is the likeliest to displace Read, as we know he's highly rated as a batsman.
I think he finishes it this autumn. His age would prob count against him, but he's useful batter & a better keeper (IMO) than Prior or G Jones.

I do think that Read may've lost an important advocate now Marsh has decamped back to Crim-land. Big Dunc likes his multi-taskers, so Read may miss out. Most likely to Prior tho, I agree.

chalky

International Debutant
aliG said:

Record number of ducks??

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
That's a pretty big if. Has he ever had a series where he hasn't gone off form/broken down??? He won't be enough on his own however. The only men that can win a test series on their own bowling are Warne and Murali.
Well one can say the same thing about Simon Jones. How good Eng bowling is going to be without him. England's top order batting is still suspect, so I wont be so sure about England's series win if one/two key players are not fit.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
Pakistani fielding is pretty ordinary, so England definitely have the wood on them there. If Kaneria and Akhtar fail to turn up then so is the bowling. If we manage to nail Afridi and Inzi in the ODI's then we stand a very good chance. In fact the more i think about this the more i think we are going to win the tests and ODI's in a straightforward manner.
I think you are grossly underestimating Pakistani ODI team here. They have a very balanced ODI team with Malik, Afridi, Razzaq as allrounders. Besides, getting inzi out isn't as easy at you think.

twctopcat

International Regular
Sanz said:
Well one can say the same thing about Simon Jones. How good Eng bowling is going to be without him. England's top order batting is still suspect, so I wont be so sure about England's series win if one/two key players are not fit.
Well hopefully he will be fit. Freddy and hoggy did ok without him today anyway. I'm not so sure how the pakistani's will take to Harmy as well. They may be suspect to the short, violent stuff.

twctopcat

International Regular
Sanz said:
I think you are grossly underestimating Pakistani ODI team here. They have a very balanced ODI team with Malik, Afridi, Razzaq as allrounders. Besides, getting inzi out isn't as easy at you think.
Inzi is a world class batsmen don't get me wrong, one of my favourites, but we have managed to work out most of the aussie batsmen this series so i don't see why he will be any different. I don't underestimate the ODI team but i don't see it is clear cut as many people suggest, England have improved out of sight. Your allrounders are good but a bit hot and cold. And we have freddy :D.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

why foster i think Prior would be ahead of him in selection, i dont think club mate Keedy is going to make it this time but i hope Swann probably gets selected over Batty.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Maybe Shaun Udal as the 2nd spinner. I know he's almost as old as I am, but he's probably the best offie in the CC.
better than Keedy, no way dawg....