• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World 14-man Test Squad

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib said:
Lara is a million times better batsman than Tendulkar.Tendulkar has never played a match winning innings so i dont consider him to be a great player.Tendulkar isnt even best in India because Rahul "The Wall" Dravid stands first and probably there is no batsman in the world better than Dravid followed
calm down mate....

greg

International Debutant
Jono said:
Currently, yes. Over the past 10-15 years? No.

And in a test squad, why should Inzamam be in for Kallis? I'm not saying Inzy doesn't deserve to be in (but there are quite a few in front of him IMO) but how on Earth is he better than Kallis considering the criteria is based on the past 2 years, a period which Kallis has been outstanding.
Aren't the two parts of your post somewhat contradictory?

dro87

U19 12th Man
Tendulkar has been rated by The Don, the best batsman in the modern era, and belive me, any team is scared when Sachin walks from the pavillion to the pitch... :cool:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
greg said:
Aren't the two parts of your post somewhat contradictory?
How so? I was merely stating that whilst I agree Dravid is the best batsman in the Indian team presently, he's not been the best in the past 10 years. Sachin has. Despite this idea that he hasn't played any 'match winning innings' which Shoaib and others seem to spurt on a continous basis.

Then my second point was stating that Kallis should be in the test team over Inzy. I don't see any contradiction, seeing as I didn't have Tendulkar in my Test XI, that means I followed the 2 year criteria.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SJS said:
Its a mug's game but here's one XI

Strauss
Sehwag
Dravid
Lara
Kallis
Flintoff
Gilchrist
Pollock
Warne
MacGrath
Murali

12th Man Ponting 8-)
I would probably pick Bond or Harmison or Shoaib over Pollock in that side. Otherwise, that looks as good as any other.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i dont like this current form thing at all i cant see you having a world test sqaud with no Tendulkar & Langer. My team

1. Langer
2. Sehwag
3. Lara
4. Tendulkar
5. Dravid
6. Flintoff
7. Gilchrist +
8. Pollock
9. Warne *
10. Murali
11. McGrath

Ponting, Kallis & Akhtar bring up the rear..... & Sangakkara can be added as the back-up keeper so essentially my squad is 15.

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
1.Smith
2.Gibbs
3.Lara
4.Dravid
5.Kallis
6.Flintoff
7.Gilchrist
8.Warne
9.Jones
10.Mc Grath
11.Akthar

Gibbs and Smith were the best opening partnership i've ever seen.

Lara speaks for himself,Dravid and Kallis likewise and Flintoff because he is by far the best all rounder in a long time.

Gilchrist is an amazing cricket no matter what form he's in and Warne because he can spin a cricket ball on any pitch in the world.

Jones because of the amount of wicket taking deleveries he bowls and akthar because every side needs raw pace.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lyell_Chris said:
the crowds will want to see tendulker and ponting more than strauss and sehwag
Actually I'd love to see Bradman and Richards (both) in there, so can we add them in?

Shoaib

Banned
Lyell_Chris said:
The selection should be based on performance ,not on the market value and public demand.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
1.Smith
2.Gibbs
3.Lara
4.Dravid
5.Kallis
6.Flintoff
7.Gilchrist
8.Warne
9.Jones
10.Mc Grath
11.Akthar

Gibbs and Smith were the best opening partnership i've ever seen.

.Jones because of the amount of wicket taking deleveries he bowls and akthar because every side needs raw pace.
fiar views, but you have to be realistic dawg.....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Lyell_Chris said:
I didnt realise we were to select a popular team :D

PS I would have never dropped Sachin if he had been playing and scoring but he has been out for far too long as of now. But if the brief is to pick a team of the best players in the world who are active irrespective of current form or fitness, I wouldnt leave Tendulkar out of any team of this year, decade or half century !

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
aussie said:
i dont like this current form thing at all i cant see you having a world test sqaud with no Tendulkar & Langer. My team

1. Langer
2. Sehwag
3. Lara
4. Tendulkar
5. Dravid
6. Flintoff
7. Gilchrist +
8. Pollock
9. Warne *
10. Murali
11. McGrath

Ponting, Kallis & Akhtar bring up the rear.....
I think people misunderstood the criteria I established for this team selection. Performance over the past two years is one thing to consider, but overall talent and performance can override this if it is significant enough. In a few cases, such as that of Lara and Tendulkar, that concept works.

adharcric

International Coach
aussie said:
you mean your criteria :p
uhh yeah what's your point. this thread was designed with one purpose, to see what others thought of a team based on the criteria i put forward.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
I think people misunderstood the criteria I established for this team selection. Performance over the past two years is one thing to consider, but overall talent and performance can override this if it is significant enough. In a few cases, such as that of Lara and Tendulkar, that concept works.
Ammended with new criteria :)

1. Sehwag
2. Smith (Captain)
3. Dravid (Vice Captain)
4. Tendulkar
5. Lara
6. Kallis
7. Griffith (wicket keeper - for those confused by his name ) aka Gilchrist
8. Pollock
9. Warne
10. Murali
11. McGrath

12th Man : Ponting .

Terrible having to leave out Inzy but.......

Sorry twctopcat. Pratt doesnt qualify with the new criteria :p

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
J Langer
G Smith
R Ponting
B Lara
R Dravid
J Kallis
+A Gilchrist
S Pollock
S Warne*
M Muralitharan
G McGrath

Flintoff, S Jones and K Sangakkara the other 3

Tendulkar misses out cause i dont rate him anymore. The batting is pretty solid, Sangakkara is a very able batsman and is able to provide cover with the gloves, Flintoff would slip in at number 8 and Murali would miss out depending on conditions and Simon Jones i reakon is an excellent swong bowlerand pip's Shane Bond based on Bond's lack of recent matches.

Shane Warne as captain.