• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

books to improve knowledge of the game?

cricnewbye

Cricket Spectator
I'm quite new to cricket but since i already read a lot about this great game i already know the rules, basic strategies, etc i just need a book for advanced learning, what can you ppl suggest?
And what about a book outlining big series, teams and players of the past?

Majin

International Debutant
Well for general information about players, series and teams and stuff you can't go far wrong with the Wisden Almanack. Or however you spell it. *_*

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mike Brearley's "The Art of Captaincy" is a wonderful book. I'd also recommend Ed Smith's "On and Off the Field" - a very well written and revealing diary of the 2003 county season. Simon Hughes' "Jargon Busting" is a good second-step read, and there are many, many books chronicling the history of the game.

archie mac

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Mike Brearley's "The Art of Captaincy" is a wonderful book. I'd also recommend Ed Smith's "On and Off the Field" - a very well written and revealing diary of the 2003 county season. Simon Hughes' "Jargon Busting" is a good second-step read, and there are many, many books chronicling the history of the game.

A very good list. Looking from an Australian and Ashes view point, I would recommend England V Australia by David Frith, it gives a brief summary of every Ashes Test, plus has loads of pictures, to put a face to the feats.

A couple of easy books to read about Cricket in the 70s and 80s are by Mike Coward, 'The Chappell Years and Rookies, Rebels and Renaissance. You can also watch the DVDs.

A coulple of good bios to start with are Bradman the illustrated Biography by Michael Page and Trumper the Illustrated biography by Ashley Mallett. They will cover the periods from 1929 to 1948 and 1899 to about the First World War.

If you want to learn about the 50s and 60s then The summer Game by Gideon Haigh is a great book, but I would not start with this one, as their are a lot of players mentioned and series covered. Hope that helps :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
cricnewbye said:
I'm quite new to cricket but since i already read a lot about this great game i already know the rules, basic strategies, etc i just need a book for advanced learning, what can you ppl suggest?
Depends on what you are trying top learn. For coaching there is nothing better than the MCC Cricket Coaching Book.

For learning about great players you couldnt do much beter than read the greatest series of books. there are many but my favourites are
1. Cricket - The Greatest Bowlers - edited by John Arlott
2. Studies of Eight Great captains of Cricket History also edited by Arlott
3. Golden Greats - Batsmen - presented by John Arlott
4. Cricket - The Great all Rounders
5. The Great Wicket Keepers - edited by David Lemmon

If you want to know about the game's history in detail you could spend a bit of money and buy Barclays' World of Cricket.

or the more difficult to get but terrific account of the History of cricket in two volunes by Altham and Swanton.

Shounak

Banned
cricnewbye said:
Utilise the internet.. There's a heap of information about cricket there.. You can start off at Wikipedia, which should have more links in it..

And of course Google..

These sources should give you the basic understanding to start reading the other books members have suggested.

Chubb

International Regular
The best cricket book I have ever read, but maybe not so good for newbies, is Mystery Spinner by Gideon Haigh, a biography of the highly unorthodox Australia spinner Jack Iverson, who bowled by flicking the ball with his middle finger. It is a great read. His book about an Australian club season, Many A Slip, is absolutely hilarious at times, too.

open365

International Vice-Captain
jargon busting by simon hughes is a great.

try finding greg chappell on coaching,its a great book.

archie mac

International Coach
Chubb said:
The best cricket book I have ever read, but maybe not so good for newbies, is Mystery Spinner by Gideon Haigh, a biography of the highly unorthodox Australia spinner Jack Iverson, who bowled by flicking the ball with his middle finger. It is a great read. His book about an Australian club season, Many A Slip, is absolutely hilarious at times, too.
True, I think him the best Cricket writer in the World at the moment, even if he does support the Poms :p

Many a Slip = The Vincibles. In Australia

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Chubb said:
His book about an Australian club season, Many A Slip, is absolutely hilarious at times, too.
Thats interesting.

I have an old book by the same title Many A Slip by Ingleby Mackenzie

archie mac

International Coach
If England win the Ashes, and you would think they will now. How many books about the series will be released, I predict 8 :)