Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ashes 2005 and West Indies vs Australia 1960/61-Greatest Series Ever??

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar

Ashes 2005 and West Indies vs Australia 1960/61-Greatest Series Ever??

After seeing what both these series have done and did for cricket I'm wholly cinvinced that these two series were the greatest ever IMO. It's not just the impact they had oon Test cricket and cricket in general but the standard of play both times were awesome!! Question is, which one is/was better? Your thoughts?
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Quote Originally Posted by roseboy64
    After seeing what both these series have done and did for cricket I'm wholly cinvinced that these two series were the greatest ever IMO. It's not just the impact they had oon Test cricket and cricket in general but the standard of play both times were awesome!! Question is, which one is/was better? Your thoughts?
    didn't see the west Indies one.....so I'm going for the Ashes

Hope that helps

C_C
    Erm...this Ashes is a nice series but i dont see how this Ashes series is THAT good...i think IND vs AUS 2001 was a better series in terms of excitement, not to mention that there are several close fought series between WI and PAK from the 80s that rate ahead of this one...

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I think the 1981 and 1902 Ashes have to be considered as well, and the 92/93 series against the West Indies in Australia was a nailbiter as well.

This is certainly the best series in a decade though. The sheer number of thrilling contests, the way each has turned so many times along the way and the fact that it's clearly the best two teams in the world makes it hard to match.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    I think the 1981 and 1902 Ashes have to be considered as well, and the 92/93 series against the West Indies in Australia was a nailbiter as well.

This is certainly the best series in a decade though. The sheer number of thrilling contests, the way each has turned so many times along the way and the fact that it's clearly the best two teams in the world makes it hard to match.
    The 1902 for me, but there was also the 1894/95 and 1936/37 if you take the series as a whole.
    You know it makes sense.

On A Current Affair last night, they interviewed Richie (who looked terrible without a make-up job) and they were showing highlights, and looking back, there has been some fantastic cricket played. I can't comment really, because it's completely unfair to proclaim this as the Greatest Series Ever, when I haven't watched (at all, or in their entirety) most of the competition.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Of the ones I have seen (in other words my own opinion instead of regurgitating someone else's ) then I reckon that this has taken over from "Botham's Ashes" as the most gripping it's been my privilege to witness.

A great series doesn't really need great cricket, but it does need drama - and this one has had that in spades from ball 1 at Lord's.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    Erm...this Ashes is a nice series but i dont see how this Ashes series is THAT good...i think IND vs AUS 2001 was a better series in terms of excitement, not to mention that there are several close fought series between WI and PAK from the 80s that rate ahead of this one...
    The Indian series was good but this is better simply for the fact that it is the Ashes and it hasn't been a contest in about 1000 years.

Add to that - the hype which went on for at least 12 months, 5 tests as opposed to 3 in India, and the fact that you don't just play on barren dustbowls with the spinners opening the bowling then this is a far more entertaining series.

The only negative is the crap cricket Australia is playing. Yeah sure there's the argument that England are making them play bad cricket blah blah blah.......BUT........I'm talking about the dropped catches, fielding and no balls. I reckon Australia have lost at least one test on that alone.

It's funny how you watch yesterdays play and you think.....Wow Australia fielded well today, they caught everything. I remember a time not too long ago when it was just a given that they fielded like that.

Hexxagon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by sqwerty

and the fact that you don't just play on barren dustbowls with the spinners opening the bowling then this is a far more entertaining series.

McGrath averaged 18 with the ball, I believe. The pitch is only as good/bad as the bowlers and batsmen make it seem.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    One of the striking differences between the sides has been in the catching. I appreciate that Australia's general catching has been woeful (until yesterday) but England's has been far, far worse, at least as far as the number of chances spurned (albeit mainly by the obvious two culprits).

In yesterday's Times they did a bit of a run-down of the drops - including stumpings, Australia had declined 14, but England had grassed a staggering 24 - that's 3 an innings.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    i think IND vs AUS 2001 was a better series in terms of excitement,
    3 Tests in a row which have gone right to the wire - how is that less exciting?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by sqwerty
    The Indian series was good but this is better simply for the fact that it is the Ashes and it hasn't been a contest in about 1000 years.

Add to that - the hype which went on for at least 12 months, 5 tests as opposed to 3 in India, and the fact that you don't just play on barren dustbowls with the spinners opening the bowling then this is a far more entertaining series.

The only negative is the crap cricket Australia is playing. Yeah sure there's the argument that England are making them play bad cricket blah blah blah.......BUT........I'm talking about the dropped catches, fielding and no balls. I reckon Australia have lost at least one test on that alone.

It's funny how you watch yesterdays play and you think.....Wow Australia fielded well today, they caught everything. I remember a time not too long ago when it was just a given that they fielded like that.
    Whats the big deal about Australia playing crap cricket ??

Its because rest of the world played crap cricket for so long that they have remained in solitary 'splendour' at the top of the rankings !!

TIE Fighter Shooter Champion!
    I'll say Ashes 2005 because i've seen it.

State Vice-Captain
    3 Tests in a row which have gone right to the wire
    2005 : England won the second Test by 2 runs
    1960/1 : First Test ended in a tie

2005 : The Australian last pair batted out four overs to draw the third Test
    1960/1 : The Australian last pair of Mackay and Kline batted out the last *100* minutes to draw the fourth Test

2005 : England won the fourth Test by three wickets, chasing 129
    1960/1 : Australia won the final Test by two wickets chasing 258

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I was comparing to the supposedly more exciting Ind vs Aus series...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information