• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The new ball easier to hit?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I was batting in the nets the other day, and I had three reasonably quick bowlers bowling at me. Two of them had new balls one of them did not.

Against the old ball bowler I was on the defensive and from a block, the ball moved away about three metres.

But against the new ball bowlers, the ball really 'pinged' off, especially when I was cutting. Even with fuller deliveries, the ball seemed to race away with little effort from myself.

How do you guys find facing a new ball?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Depends on the pitch.

On slow and/or good wickets, new ball is easier as the ball comes on.

However, this is generally balanced against the fact that at lower standards of cricket, the opening bowlers are generally the better ones.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I find the new ball always hits well, but it's just a matter of negotiating the swing it generates

Shounak

Banned
I usually get beaten by the sharp movement of a newer ball. So unless a spinner's bowling, definitely an older ball.

There's no such thing as intentional Irish with who I play with.. So ALWAYS the older ball with any who can bowl at reasonable pace..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
New ball does come on, esp. on the flat wickets here in Chennai during the summer. The old ball either reverses or stops a bit or just doesn't come on as well.