• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne & MacGill - Really could they have played more test together???

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I say yes...... lets thing about it after Stew camme on to the scene on that 98 pakistan tour he did very then in the few Ashes test he did well also & i remember people saying that both him & Warne could play together but one always felt the selectors were very reluctant to do that because to me i always felt the selectors underated him to this day i still dont know why he was left out of the 98, 2001 & 2004 tours to India :mellow: i could flex with him being left out in 2001after funky millers performaces vs WI in 2000/01 season but the next two were just wrong.......

After McGrath had established himself has Australia's bowler of the generation in 95 & after McDermott went of the scene via injury (that was a pitty though he was just 30 :( ) pigeons main backup was the consistent Reifell, Fleming, inconsistent Kasper & young fiery Dizzy who came up & proved to be his best new-ball. So to me a McGrath/Dizzy/Warne/MacGill attack was very possible up to a least when Lee burst onto the scene in late 99, but has they've always said stew's very unlucky to be an aussie in this generation.....

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
aussie said:
I say yes...... lets thing about it after Stew camme on to the scene on that 98 pakistan tour he did very then in the few Ashes test he did well also & i remember people saying that both him & Warne could play together but one always felt the selectors were very reluctant to do that because to me i always felt the selectors underated him to this day i still dont know why he was left out of the 98, 2001 & 2004 tours to India :mellow: i could flex with him being left out in 2001after funky millers performaces vs WI in 2000/01 season but the next two were just wrong.......

After McGrath had established himself has Australia's bowler of the generation in 95 & after McDermott went of the scene via injury (that was a pitty though he was just 30 :( ) pigeons main backup was the consistent Reifell, Fleming, inconsistent Kasper & young fiery Dizzy who came up & proved to be his best new-ball. So to me a McGrath/Dizzy/Warne/MacGill attack was very possible up to a least when Lee burst onto the scene in late 99, but has they've always said stew's very unlucky to be an aussie in this generation.....
Yeah the only thing is it's hard to play only 2 seamers in Australia. Stuey would have played plenty of tests with Warney if they both munched curry.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Probably yes. But Australia's overall record being what it has been through out MacGill's career, one cant denounce his non selection with much to back it up. Australia's record justifies the selection policies and all else for that matter 8-)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Probably yes. But Australia's overall record being what it has been through out MacGill's career, one cant denounce his non selection with much to back it up. Australia's record justifies the selection policies and all else for that matter 8-)
ahh nicely put SJS

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could've and should've.

Unfortunately, Warne doesnt enjoy it so much and he holds a lot of way over selection policies and strategies.

Take this series as an example:- Eng has shown nothing to suggest that they've improved their playing of spin one iota. Rather than give MacGill a chance to even get match practice (remember he wasnt even given a game against Northants), we keep him sitting in the stands whilst a selection of out of form seamers are rotated through all 4 tests. The Chairman of Selectors then uses the excuse that MacGill is not match fit.

Come on! Could he really have been any worse than Gillespie or Kasprowicz.

The way that he has been treated on this tour, and on occasion in the past, is nothing short of a disgrace.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i feel ya social, Stew has had it rough if he is not selected today MacGill would have retired never playing an Ashes test over here.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If there's one thing I like as much as big, burly pacemen (oo-er, missus), it's having a twirly at both ends (even more oo-er, missus).

archie mac

International Coach
I think Australia's lack of a genuine A/R (best if it was a fast bowler) has made it hard to play two spinners.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
archie mac said:
I think Australia's lack of a genuine A/R (best if it was a fast bowler) has made it hard to play two spinners.
I'd say nigh on impossible unless they're playing in the subcontinent.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
in a way yes, but it doesn't hide the fact that MacGill has not only been unlucky to be an aussie in this generation but he has been treated rough by the selectors at times....

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i agree, but you couldnt really justify selecting him over warney, and as has been said above cant really pick them both most of the time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think both should play everytime against England, given how little they use their feet. They look really hopeless against spin (perhaps excluding both Pieterson and Flintoff, who seem better than the rest of them)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
honestbharani said:
I think both should play everytime against England, given how little they use their feet. They look really hopeless against spin (perhaps excluding both Pieterson and Flintoff, who seem better than the rest of them)
"Hopeless" might be too strong a word but they certainly prefer the rubbish that the Aus back-up seamers have trundled out to anything MacGill would bowl.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
"Hopeless" might be too strong a word but they certainly prefer the rubbish that the Aus back-up seamers have trundled out to anything MacGill would bowl.
Essex juniors treated both with equal respect.... I mean contempt.

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
in a way yes, but it doesn't hide the fact that MacGill has not only been unlucky to be an aussie in this generation but he has been treated rough by the selectors at times....
The hands of the selectors were tied, after he went the journey against Essex.

simmy

International Regular
Sorry I cant believe how well rated MacGill is on this site! Whenever I have seen him bowl he at least 2 or 3 distinctly poor balls an over. I think playing him... means that the England players will mever be under pressure as he gifts runs.

On the Oval pitch, he would quite easily go for 5 runs an over.

Disappointed (well not really) to see no changes in the batting line up ahead of this game.

I