Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warne & MacGill - Really could they have played more test together???

Warne & MacGill - Really could they have played more test together???

I say yes...... lets thing about it after Stew camme on to the scene on that 98 pakistan tour he did very then in the few Ashes test he did well also & i remember people saying that both him & Warne could play together but one always felt the selectors were very reluctant to do that because to me i always felt the selectors underated him to this day i still dont know why he was left out of the 98, 2001 & 2004 tours to India i could flex with him being left out in 2001after funky millers performaces vs WI in 2000/01 season but the next two were just wrong.......

After McGrath had established himself has Australia's bowler of the generation in 95 & after McDermott went of the scene via injury (that was a pitty though he was just 30 ) pigeons main backup was the consistent Reifell, Fleming, inconsistent Kasper & young fiery Dizzy who came up & proved to be his best new-ball. So to me a McGrath/Dizzy/Warne/MacGill attack was very possible up to a least when Lee burst onto the scene in late 99, but has they've always said stew's very unlucky to be an aussie in this generation.....

Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    I say yes...... lets thing about it after Stew camme on to the scene on that 98 pakistan tour he did very then in the few Ashes test he did well also & i remember people saying that both him & Warne could play together but one always felt the selectors were very reluctant to do that because to me i always felt the selectors underated him to this day i still dont know why he was left out of the 98, 2001 & 2004 tours to India i could flex with him being left out in 2001after funky millers performaces vs WI in 2000/01 season but the next two were just wrong.......

After McGrath had established himself has Australia's bowler of the generation in 95 & after McDermott went of the scene via injury (that was a pitty though he was just 30 ) pigeons main backup was the consistent Reifell, Fleming, inconsistent Kasper & young fiery Dizzy who came up & proved to be his best new-ball. So to me a McGrath/Dizzy/Warne/MacGill attack was very possible up to a least when Lee burst onto the scene in late 99, but has they've always said stew's very unlucky to be an aussie in this generation.....
    Yeah the only thing is it's hard to play only 2 seamers in Australia. Stuey would have played plenty of tests with Warney if they both munched curry.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Probably yes. But Australia's overall record being what it has been through out MacGill's career, one cant denounce his non selection with much to back it up. Australia's record justifies the selection policies and all else for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Probably yes. But Australia's overall record being what it has been through out MacGill's career, one cant denounce his non selection with much to back it up. Australia's record justifies the selection policies and all else for that matter
    ahh nicely put SJS

Could've and should've.

Unfortunately, Warne doesnt enjoy it so much and he holds a lot of way over selection policies and strategies.

Take this series as an example:- Eng has shown nothing to suggest that they've improved their playing of spin one iota. Rather than give MacGill a chance to even get match practice (remember he wasnt even given a game against Northants), we keep him sitting in the stands whilst a selection of out of form seamers are rotated through all 4 tests. The Chairman of Selectors then uses the excuse that MacGill is not match fit.

Come on! Could he really have been any worse than Gillespie or Kasprowicz.

The way that he has been treated on this tour, and on occasion in the past, is nothing short of a disgrace.

i feel ya social, Stew has had it rough if he is not selected today MacGill would have retired never playing an Ashes test over here.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    If there's one thing I like as much as big, burly pacemen (oo-er, missus), it's having a twirly at both ends (even more oo-er, missus).
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    I think Australia's lack of a genuine A/R (best if it was a fast bowler) has made it hard to play two spinners.
    You know it makes sense.

A/r?
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    A/R = All Rounder.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    I think Australia's lack of a genuine A/R (best if it was a fast bowler) has made it hard to play two spinners.
    I'd say nigh on impossible unless they're playing in the subcontinent.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    in a way yes, but it doesn't hide the fact that MacGill has not only been unlucky to be an aussie in this generation but he has been treated rough by the selectors at times....

i agree, but you couldnt really justify selecting him over warney, and as has been said above cant really pick them both most of the time.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I think both should play everytime against England, given how little they use their feet. They look really hopeless against spin (perhaps excluding both Pieterson and Flintoff, who seem better than the rest of them)
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani
    I think both should play everytime against England, given how little they use their feet. They look really hopeless against spin (perhaps excluding both Pieterson and Flintoff, who seem better than the rest of them)
    "Hopeless" might be too strong a word but they certainly prefer the rubbish that the Aus back-up seamers have trundled out to anything MacGill would bowl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information