• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clever/Amusing Sledges you have heard while playing

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
This thread is about sledges you have while playing, not famous sledges.

Anyhow;

In a school game last year.

Opposition fielder: Alot of helmets here boys, must be scared.

My batting partner: Not scared, but at our school we have something inside our heads to protect.

Decent I thought.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I was fielding in the covers in a game this season, and the batsman played and missed at one outside off, which was called a wide. Before the wide was called, and having not been able to tell how wide it was, I said:

"We've got him fishing there boys"

His reply:

"Yeah, but I'd need a bloody long rod"

Even if it was at me I thought it was mildly amusing - the ball was extremely wide, apparently.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
We played against this guy who is a male model. So someone went and printed the front page off his website and sat it down at the crease as he came out to bat. He saw it, tried to hit it away with his bat, missed the first time. All rather humourous I thought.

dro87

U19 12th Man
best one i know is the s waugh one to chris Carns... about the train... really clever, but sad... :unsure:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I was fielding in the covers in a game this season, and the batsman played and missed at one outside off, which was called a wide. Before the wide was called, and having not been able to tell how wide it was, I said:

"We've got him fishing there boys"

His reply:

"Yeah, but I'd need a bloody long rod"

Even if it was at me I thought it was mildly amusing - the ball was extremely wide, apparently.
:laugh:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
steds said:
Yeah - I have a habit of walking right into them when it comes to sledging. :(

Although I always find I am able to respond to sledging with my actions fairly well - in a game a couple of years ago, having been hit on the head or body 11 times by some short bowling, and then played and missed twice outside off stump (I was 28 not out), the bowler and slips started giving me some lip, the usual "ooh, he doesn't like it there" type stuff. I had had enough of it, so next ball, a straight one just back of a length, I stepped down and slapped him for a one-bounce four over his head, followed by a good old-fashioned glare at the bowler. He glared back, I just smiled and that annoyed him no end. :p

Mind you, I was caught in the deep the next over off their spinner, so maybe I got a bit carried away. :p

dro87

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
It didn't ever happen though, so it can't have been either clever or worked.
I got told about that, so maybe it never happpened, but if it did it would have been sick-

Blaze

Banned
dro87 said:
I got told about that, so maybe it never happpened, but if it did it would have been sick-

It was just a rumour. Cairns said it never happened in his book.

dro87

U19 12th Man
I was told by Phil Chandler, our New Zealander, and apparently they're really good m8s....

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best famous one - is Flintoff to Tino Best: "Mind the windows Tino..." Tino then got out trying to slog Giles...

One we always say at our club - 'Got him fishing, time to reel him in'

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
We were playing against an ordinary batsmen. Our leggie was bowling to him and he had no idea. I yelled out from fine leg "Bowl him a piano, see if he can play that " !!

True story. :p

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
Hodgo7 said:
We were playing against an ordinary batsmen. Our leggie was bowling to him and he had no idea. I yelled out from fine leg "Bowl him a piano, see if he can play that " !!

True story. :p
Yeah, but you didn't invent that. That is a famous Merve Hughes one.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I enjoyed Sourav Ganguly's question back at some English tabloid reporter who asked "how could you do that at Lords?". Sourav responded with "How could he do it at Mumbai?". I enjoyed that thoroughly for some reason.