• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clever/Amusing Sledges you have heard while playing

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
James90 said:
"I've seen better batting in the shower" always makes me laugh.
Ive seen a better batter in a fish shop.
Bloke in our team (bowler) had the nickname ,Sorbent,he reckoned he used to clean up the tail all the time.
I think if you get going a thread with some nicknames and how they got them youd get some good ones as well James,
Slips bloke to Batsman who is facing a bloke who was bowling smoke, ahh is that a mars bar youve got in your back pocket or are you just UN happy to face him? Refering that maybe he had done pooh poohs in his dacks,
All aussies would know the name of junior ,Mark Waugh but our overseas friends may not know he was also known in his early test years as Afghanistan,,,The forgotten war (,Waugh,) I dont know if the same applies over seas but in Aussie cricket at all levels no one gets away without a nick name,as you may know by the senior side of,Punter,Binger,Hollywood,Dizzy,Boof,Freak,etc
Do they do the same in other countries? No one escapes in oz cricket ,all levels if they cant find one then you just get your last name abrieviated like a Jono,or gilly,Kaspa,Swerving(merv Hughes)Marto,or a fitzy.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
^He was originally called Afghanistan by his county teammates in England, I think

BoyBrumby

Englishman
jlo33692 said:
Ive seen a better batter in a fish shop.
Bloke in our team (bowler) had the nickname ,Sorbent,he reckoned he used to clean up the tail all the time.
I think if you get going a thread with some nicknames and how they got them youd get some good ones as well James,
Slips bloke to Batsman who is facing a bloke who was bowling smoke, ahh is that a mars bar youve got in your back pocket or are you just UN happy to face him? Refering that maybe he had done pooh poohs in his dacks,
All aussies would know the name of junior ,Mark Waugh but our overseas friends may not know he was also known in his early test years as Afghanistan,,,The forgotten war (,Waugh,) I dont know if the same applies over seas but in Aussie cricket at all levels no one gets away without a nick name,as you may know by the senior side of,Punter,Binger,Hollywood,Dizzy,Boof,Freak,etc
Do they do the same in other countries? No one escapes in oz cricket ,all levels if they cant find one then you just get your last name abrieviated like a Jono,or gilly,Kaspa,Swerving(merv Hughes)Marto,or a fitzy.
Think nicknames are pretty universal in team sports. Some are far more original than others tho. The current England team:

Trescothick : Tres, Tresco or Banger (from his love of sausages!)
Strauss: Straussy or Brockett (from Lord Brockett as he's the token posh bloke)
Vaughan: Vaughany or Virgil (after the Thunderbirds character)
Bell: ?
Pietersen: KP
Flintoff: Fred or Freddie
G Jones: Jonesy or GoJo
Giles: Gilo, Wheelie Bin (after Henry Blofeld reckoned he resembled one), King of Spain (from misprinted mugs) or Juan Carlos (from the "King of Spain" thing)
Hoggard: Hoggy or Shrek (used to look like Shrek with shorter hair)
S Jones: Jonah or Jones The Swerve
Harmison: Harmy or GBH (Grievous Bodily Harmison)

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is a well known conversation that occured at some international level. Unfortunately I cant remember the players involved (someone here probably can).

BOWLER (after getting the batsman playing and missing): its round, red and a few inches wide.

BATSMAN (after hitting a six shortly after off the same bowler): you know what it looks like, go find it.

I've got a feeling the batsman might have been Viv Richards. Not sure.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
Knopfler said:
This is a well known conversation that occured at some international level. Unfortunately I cant remember the players involved (someone here probably can).

BOWLER (after getting the batsman playing and missing): its round, red and a few inches wide.

BATSMAN (after hitting a six shortly after off the same bowler): you know what it looks like, go find it.

I've got a feeling the batsman might have been Viv Richards. Not sure.
Thats an oldie thats happened to a million people and it always happens the same way. Note to bowlers: It's bad karma

andyc

Viv Richards was the batsman. He told the story at the Shanghai Sixes last year.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Think nicknames are pretty universal in team sports. Some are far more original than others tho. The current England team:

Trescothick : Tres, Tresco or Banger (from his love of sausages!)
Strauss: Straussy or Brockett (from Lord Brockett as he's the token posh bloke)
Vaughan: Vaughany or Virgil (after the Thunderbirds character)
Bell: ?
Pietersen: KP
Flintoff: Fred or Freddie
G Jones: Jonesy or GoJo
Giles: Gilo, Wheelie Bin (after Henry Blofeld reckoned he resembled one), King of Spain (from misprinted mugs) or Juan Carlos (from the "King of Spain" thing)
Hoggard: Hoggy or Shrek (used to look like Shrek with shorter hair)
S Jones: Jonah or Jones The Swerve
Harmison: Harmy or GBH (Grievous Bodily Harmison)
Darryl for Strauss. :D

simmy

International Regular
Great post boys!

I was playing in a heated league match and a rather chubby guy waddles out...

I say to him "Oi... youre too fat for batting... but we need a new roller" (feeling very smug and proud for giving out as good as they gave me)

He replies "Im fat because everytime I screw your mother she gives me a biscuit!"

I trudge back to the covers with all the slips laughing at me... funny though... just not at the time!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
simmy said:
Great post boys!

I was playing in a heated league match and a rather chubby guy waddles out...

I say to him "Oi... youre too fat for batting... but we need a new roller" (feeling very smug and proud for giving out as good as they gave me)

He replies "Im fat because everytime I screw your mother she gives me a biscuit!"

I trudge back to the covers with all the slips laughing at me... funny though... just not at the time!
I believe you were just pinged with the infamous "Eddo Brandes" sledge.

neal

Cricket Spectator
This happened in last years asia cup in SL . When harbhajan came into bat Sangakara said " why do you wear full sleeve while bowling and half sleeve when batting "... Bhajji got very upset about it and complained to the umpire.. :)

Have heard quite a few good ones from sanga but cant remember them now...

andyc

It's hardly sledging, but whenever one of our bowlers is running in and then stops because his run up was messed up or something, everyone in the team starts clapping and saying 'Mindgames, mindgames, etc.' Also, our team talks a whole lot while on the field and every now and then in a partnership we'll give one of them the silent treatment, so when he's on strike no one says anything at all and as soon as the other guy comes on we start talking really loudly.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
neal said:
This happened in last years asia cup in SL . When harbhajan came into bat Sangakara said " why do you wear full sleeve while bowling and half sleeve when batting "...
Ouch, I'm sure most of us would have been pretty hurt by that sort of sledging...

bradman2005

Cricket Spectator
neal said:
This happened in last years asia cup in SL . When harbhajan came into bat Sangakara said " why do you wear full sleeve while bowling and half sleeve when batting "... Bhajji got very upset about it and complained to the umpire.. :)

Have heard quite a few good ones from sanga but cant remember them now...
I dont get it why is that sledge so bad

andyc

Robertinho said:
Ouch, I'm sure most of us would have been pretty hurt by that sort of sledging...
Frankly I'm surprised he's allowed to use that sort of language around here