• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clever/Amusing Sledges you have heard while playing

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
My Fair Lady is a 1956 musical theater production with lyrics and book by Alan Jay Lerner and music by Frederic Loewe, adapted from George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion. It was also made into a film by Warner Bros. in 1964.

Henry Higgins, an arrogant, irascible professor of phonetics, finds an impoverished young woman, Eliza Doolittle, selling flowers, and boasts to a new acquaintance, Colonel Pickering, that he can train her to speak so "properly" that he could pass her off as a duchess. Eliza finds her way to the professor's house and offers to pay the professor to give her elocution lessons so that she can get a better job. A wager is made with Colonel Pickering that Higgins cannot achieve this and he takes her on as a challenge of his skills free of charge.

Eliza's father, a dustman, arrives weeks later to reclaim his daughter, or at least some compensation for her loss, and is paid off. Higgins is impressed by the man's genuineness and natural gift for language, contrasting with his total lack of moral values ("Can't afford 'em!")

At first Eliza makes no progress, but just as she thinks the idea is hopeless she tries one more time, suddenly "gets it", and begins to talk with an impeccable upper class English accent. Higgins takes her on her first public appearance at Ascot Racecourse where she makes a good impression with her polite manners, only to shock everyone by a sudden and vulgar lapse into ****ney. Higgins, who dislikes the pretentiousness of these upper class people, partly conceals a grin behind his hand, as if to convey the message to the audience, "I wish I had said that!"

The bet depends on Eliza's passing as a lady at the 'embassy ball', which she does successfully despite the presence of a Hungarian phonetics expert, who is completely taken in. Higgins's ungrateful treatment of her after this success leads Eliza to walk out on him, leaving the seemingly clueless Higgins mystified by her ingratitude.

The ending of the musical was subtly changed from that of the play, in order to please audiences by a suggestion of budding romance between Eliza and Higgins. A contemporary version of the Pygmalion motif can be found in Willy Russell's play Educating Rita (1980).

To translate that into words you can understand, Nathan is challenging me to turn you into someone whose posts look respectable and don't scream "badly written so not worth reading" the moment you look at them.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
To translate that into words you can understand, Nathan is challenging me to turn you into someone whose posts look respectable and don't scream "badly written so not worth reading" the moment you look at them.
Put that part in bold so people don't have to read the whole damn thing to understand what you're saying

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
andyc said:
Put that part in bold so people don't have to read the whole damn thing to understand what you're saying
I'm trying to educate the masses, and that's the thanks I get?

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
well sorry guys im trying i thought a my fair lady would be challenging in some way
well ok its challenging for neil but anyway :p just give it a try, ill try, you have to admit my posts have got nicer and better since i started

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I remember one, I think it was between Sarwan and Mcgrath, although I'm not quite sure.

Mcgrath bowls to Sarwan, and Sarwan hits him for four. Mcgrath says; 'Is Lara good in bed mate?', to which Sarwan replies 'Why don't you ask your wife?'

Anybody know who it actually was?

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I dunno if its been posted before but I cant be bothered to sift through 9 pages... I think it was Australia V Zimbabwe, Aussies were fielding and the zimbabwean lad came out to bat, and i think it was Warne who said
"Why are you so fat?" and the batsmen replied
"because Everytime I **** your wife she gives me a biscuit"

simmy

International Regular
Hodgo7 said:
I dont think you said that. I read in a book that Glenn McGrath said the same thing to Zimbabwe batter Brandes who replied that line but instead of mother he said wife.
Oi this happened.

You think I read books by Glen McGrath? Yeah right...

I call batsmen fat all the time... he just probably heard of the comeback.

I shook his hand after the game... it was sweaty.

Plus I'm far too young to have heard of this!

Last edited: