• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anderson or collingwood for thursdays test?

anderson or collingwood?

• anderson

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • collingwood

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
although its harsh on collingwood i see his selection as being very negative and gives the impression that england are playing for a draw. Despite it being a huge gamble i would go for anderson, with it going to rain a fair bit the match looks like it will be a draw anyway, and with teh weather being the way it is the cloud cover gives anderson the chance to really swing the ball as that is his main weapon (and deadly it is to when it works)

who would everyone else have ?

collingwood or anderson?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
There's already a thread for this - perhaps it could be turned into a poll to make it more useful?

Mods please take note.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Picking Collingwood may be playing for a draw, but picking Anderson is like playing for a speedy loss...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well they'd both come below:

1) (A fit) Andy Caddick;
2) Chris Tremlett; &
3) Dominic Cork

in my book. However, of the two, much as it's the conservative, pessimistic call, I'd go for the little ginger Mackem. I cannot see for the life of me a reason to recall Anderson now, aside from his (surely soon to be withdrawn) central contract.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
Well they'd both come below:

1) (A fit) Andy Caddick;
2) Chris Tremlett; &
3) Dominic Cork

in my book. However, of the two, much as it's the conservative, pessimistic call, I'd go for the little ginger Mackem. I cannot see for the life of me a reason to recall Anderson now, aside from his (surely soon to be withdrawn) central contract.
I can see arguments for both sides.

Either way, screw it - I ain't worrying. Whatever Big Dunc calls is all right by me.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
echo Barney and Neil, just as long as Fletcher and Vaughan go with who they think will be best to regain the ashes, and aren't influenced by media or Aussie tongue wagging

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
superkingdave said:
echo Barney and Neil, just as long as Fletcher and Vaughan go with who they think will be best to regain the ashes, and aren't influenced by media or Aussie tongue wagging
I think that's a given, does anyone take anything the Aussies say seriously?

My view is keep the winning formula and play James, I can't see Colly doing much against Warne tbh. I do like him and he's got guts, a world class fielder to boot, but feel he may be found out against the Aussies. James can swing the ball at pace, which is a great gift.. He can bowl magic balls and tripe, bit like Blee I suppose in that regard.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Going to have to go with the man to keep the shape the same.

Of course, if Collingwood would like to be named 12th man though... :D

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
sledger said:
although its harsh on collingwood i see his selection as being very negative and gives the impression that england are playing for a draw. Despite it being a huge gamble i would go for anderson, with it going to rain a fair bit the match looks like it will be a draw anyway, and with teh weather being the way it is the cloud cover gives anderson the chance to really swing the ball as that is his main weapon (and deadly it is to when it works)

who would everyone else have ?

collingwood or anderson?
For me this is a no brainer. Who would the Aussies rather come up against?

I'll tell you ......... Collingwood

This whole series has been about the England pace attack dominating the Aussie batting lineup with SUSTAINED pressure. To do so. England have relied on FOUR quicks.

It's not like Australia's attack where they can afford to throw the ball to Warne after 12 overs.

I think you'd find Australia would be more than happy to come up against Collingwood or Giles after 12 overs on day 1. Talk about releasing the pressure !

As for lengthening the batting to save a game.......I can show you a thousand examples where this has backfired (at Grade level at least).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
sqwerty said:
For me this is a no brainer. Who would the Aussies rather come up against?

I'll tell you ......... Collingwood

This whole series has been about the England pace attack dominating the Aussie batting lineup with SUSTAINED pressure. To do so. England have relied on FOUR quicks.

It's not like Australia's attack where they can afford to throw the ball to Warne after 12 overs.

I think you'd find Australia would be more than happy to come up against Collingwood or Giles after 12 overs on day 1. Talk about releasing the pressure !

As for lengthening the batting to save a game.......I can show you a thousand examples where this has backfired (at Grade level at least).
Uh-huh. That's exactly it.

Scaly piscine said:
Picking Collingwood may be playing for a draw, but picking Anderson is like playing for a speedy loss...
My gut feeling is that England would play collingwood, and would probably go out for a draw and that would in the end prove to be suicidal.

I just hope Engalnd go out for victory and regains the Ashes

tooextracool

International Coach
sqwerty said:
its 4 quality quicks(or well 3 if you exclude hoggard).
nonetheless theres no point in picking a 4th pace bowler simply because you have to pick one. i do hope they've picked anderson because hes actually improved as a bowler, not because of what he has done in the past.

tooextracool

International Coach
just on the topic, if thorpe hadnt retired(or rather if the selectors had not been as harsh on him as they were) how easy would this choice have been?
it would have at least made my prediction before the series started somewhat possible(thorpe to be selected for the oval and score a 100).

Shoaib

Banned
Paul Collingwood must be a part of playing XI because he can contribute with both bat and ball.