• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mac's Back

archie mac

International Coach
I have decided to make a come back, after 7 years out of the game. But this time I have decided to reinvent myself, I use to be a dour opener with only 3 shots. Now I am coming back as a left arm swing bowler. I went and had a look at bats and gear today, and I can't believe the prices!

Is anyone else making a come back this season?

Or did anyone make a come back in the English season currently under way?

What am I in for?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I wish you the best of luck Archie. Hope you kill 'em ... knock over a few stumps while you're at it. I am sure you expert knowledge of cricket will allow you to beat your opponents using brains, not just skill

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've made a comeback to the Australian school cricket system, if that counts.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yes! This season will be my first since..1999. I've had chronic fatigue since then, but now it's my comeback! Once again as a right arm medium fast. Although today in the nets it was more medium than fast :(

archie mac

International Coach
burkey_1988 said:
I wish you the best of luck Archie. Hope you kill 'em ... knock over a few stumps while you're at it. I am sure you expert knowledge of cricket will allow you to beat your opponents using brains, not just skill
I think I will know, what I need to do, but my lack of skill will be a big worry.

I can see it now; bowl outside off stump; driven for 4, next same ball, 4 more. Now time for the inswinger, I bowl, ball does nothing 4 more :D

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
mate i made a big come-back half way through last year... so this season is my first real come-back year. after averaging less than 13 last year with the ball and taking 20 wickets i'm pretty excited about my prospects.... Last season I played B Grade which is out've D grade and I'm hoping to get promotion to the A's...

Like Archie I'm a reformed batsman turned swing bowler. It's great mate. bowling is sooo much better than batting. and your last name (if it's mac) sounds like mcdermott so you'll fit right in.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
I have decided to make a come back, after 7 years out of the game. But this time I have decided to reinvent myself, I use to be a dour opener with only 3 shots. Now I am coming back as a left arm swing bowler. I went and had a look at bats and gear today, and I can't believe the prices!

What am I in for?
Good luck. :) There can never be too many left-arm swing bowlers. ;) I'll make a comeback this season, though I only missed one season. Never again!

archie mac

International Coach
Adamc, Andyc, Slats4ever and NZ Tailender, Lets keep posting our results through out the season, you never know we might play in a premiership this season, we have a 1 in 5 chance that one of us might :)

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
I'm making a comeback this season after being off all sport since June last year because of injury. I couldn't believe the timing of when I did it - it was on a Saturday (soccer game) and I had a hockey final on the following Wednesday.

Anyway, I've got no idea how I'm going to go. I've been thinking heaps about my technique to try and stop getting out caught behind so often, since that takes about 80% of my dismissals. I'll probably start out in 'A' grade and if I score well I'll probably move up to the prems.

Good luck by the way.

archie mac

International Coach
Sir Redman said:
I'm making a comeback this season after being off all sport since June last year because of injury. I couldn't believe the timing of when I did it - it was on a Saturday (soccer game) and I had a hockey final on the following Wednesday.

Anyway, I've got no idea how I'm going to go. I've been thinking heaps about my technique to try and stop getting out caught behind so often, since that takes about 80% of my dismissals. I'll probably start out in 'A' grade and if I score well I'll probably move up to the prems.

Good luck by the way.
Good luck with it. I read some where if you are being dismissed behind to much, to take block on off stump and leave everything out side for the first 30 mins. Maybe try it in the nets first. :)

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Yeah I've been putting a lot of thought into my techniqu as well. I mentioned before that I had moved from being a batter to a bowler, however this was almost forced upon me due to to many bad scores. Now with the pressure off I'm determined to work on my technique...

the main issue with my technique I feel is that i'm going back to the wrong balls and leaving too big a gap between my bat and pad in my backfoot defence. Thus getting bowled to regularly....

Good idea though mac. i reckon we should all report back with how things are going and bring some premierships back to CW.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
archie mac said:

What am I in for?
who are you playing for mate?
are you playing grade in canberra or that dodgey city and suburban stuff lol!

archie mac

International Coach
broncoman said:
who are you playing for mate?
are you playing grade in canberra or that dodgey city and suburban stuff lol!
Weston Creek, I can only play 5th grade as they play 45 overs a side and finish in a day. I work a lot of W/E so that will suit me. Anyway with my skill level these days, I imagine 5th grade will be a real challenge.

The C&S game is much better for the after game amber stuff. (or so I've been told)

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
archie mac said:
Good luck with it. I read some where if you are being dismissed behind to much, to take block on off stump and leave everything out side for the first 30 mins. Maybe try it in the nets first. :)
The problem is that its not the balls well outside off that I edge - its more the ones on off stump or just outside that I'm looking to defend. I suppose the good thing is that its good balls I was getting out to rather than getting myself out playing dumb shots.

Anyway, like I said I've been thinking about my technique. I noticed when I stood in front of a mirror my head was tilted over to one side so my eyes weren't level and I'm wondering whether that has something to do with it. I had a bit of a growth spurt a couple of years ago and since I never used to get caught behind I reckon that might have caused the change.

Hopefully I'll go well...can't wait to play again.

Blaze

Banned
Stand as still as you possibly can and move to the point of release. I had a similar problem and then I got some profesional coaching and now use a strategy where I say to myself, in my head as the bowler runs in time after time - Watch the ball, Stay still, Watch the ball, Stay still.

As long as you don't move your head around and you keep it over your front shoulder then you shouldn't have too many more worries.

Simon

archie mac said:
Weston Creek, I can only play 5th grade as they play 45 overs a side and finish in a day. I work a lot of W/E so that will suit me. Anyway with my skill level these days, I imagine 5th grade will be a real challenge.

The C&S game is much better for the after game amber stuff. (or so I've been told)
hha ur right about C&S, i only played grade when i lived in canberra but a few people i know say its mainly just social cricket.
i played a bit of 5th grade when i started, the standard wasnt too bad but theres a lot of strugglers...

archie mac

International Coach
broncoman said:
hha ur right about C&S, i only played grade when i lived in canberra but a few people i know say its mainly just social cricket.
i played a bit of 5th grade when i started, the standard wasnt too bad but theres a lot of strugglers...
I hope I am not one of the strugglers :huh:

Simon

vic_orthdox said:
Find me a cricket club in Australia that isn't big on the amber stuff.
well ull quite often find the square leg umpire in city and suburban sits on an esky while on the field if that will help seperate it from the rest!