• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knocking in

Monty

U19 Cricketer
how long do you knock in a pre prapared bat
i just bougt kookaburaa savage beast

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Monty said:
how long do you knock in a pre prapared bat
i just bougt kookaburaa savage beast
keep going.......I knocked my last bat (Warsop) in for 2 months and it didn't even last one season

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It says pre-prepared but I knocked my Gray-Nicolls (sp?) in for about 30 minutes a day for two weeks or so. Someone at the club had a pre-prepared Gray-Nicolls and used it straight away and lost a big chunk of it.

Craig

World Traveller
IIRC Brian Lara never bothered having his bat knocked in, he just took it out of its wrapper and away he went.

Works for him (then again the last time he had to pay for a bat was when he was in his teens).

Chubb

International Regular
Monty said:
what is a warsop bat i have never heard of it
Made by Warsop-Stebbing in West Hanningfield, Essex. Very good company, I get all my stuff from them.

twctopcat

International Regular
Chubb said:
Made by Warsop-Stebbing in West Hanningfield, Essex. Very good company, I get all my stuff from them.
As do a lot of Australians supposedly. Gilchrist certainly gets his bats from somewhere in Essex, though whether its Warsop i don't know.

deeps

International 12th Man
at least 6 hours.. pre prepared means nothing imo... do it properly, and the bat will be sweet and last a long time

and i don't like the extratech crap either... sanding and oiling is the way to go

Barney Rubble

International Coach
What I do is knock it in a little to begin with, then use it in nets against part-timers and spinners for a couple of weeks - by the time you come to use it in a match it'll be well softened up.

open365

International Vice-Captain
pre-pepared doesn't have anything to do with knocking in(well,not in the pratical sense).

i've lost my faith in knocking in,my last 3 bats have lasted less than a season despite having been knocked in for 4-7 hours.
next season i'm going to get it machine knocked in(i think) to see if that makes any difference.

knock it in for at least 4 hours is my advice,and just make sure you hit the middle every time so it'll never snap.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
at least 6 hours.. pre prepared means nothing imo... do it properly, and the bat will be sweet and last a long time

and i don't like the extratech crap either... sanding and oiling is the way to go
Yes. Also taking a light wooden mallet and knocking on the bat is very effective.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I got a new bat covered in extratec but I'm still knocking it in. About a quarter done. i'm a tailender so I won't be using it much :-O

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender said:
I got a new bat covered in extratec but I'm still knocking it in. About a quarter done. i'm a tailender so I won't be using it much :-O
You are equally likely to break it if used without knocking in though !

Yes a ball mallet is the best though I prefer a ball on a short string or in an old sock which you hammer on the bat. This gets it to bounce off more like it does in actual play. The mallet tends to hit and 'stay' on the surface that spilt second longer to cause more stress.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SJS said:
You are equally likely to break it if used without knocking in though !

Yes a ball mallet is the best though I prefer a ball on a short string or in an old sock which you hammer on the bat. This gets it to bounce off more like it does in actual play. The mallet tends to hit and 'stay' on the surface that spilt second longer to cause more stress.
What is a ball mallet?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
What is a ball mallet?
It is a hammer with a cricket ball as the head. :)

If you cant get one (we didnt get them in my playing days) you could take the curved/tapered piece of wood that is used to put grips on bat handles and make a hole in an old , but firm, cricket ball and push the tapered thin end of the wooden stick into the ball. Put some quickfix or other quick drying liquid on the stick before hand.

You now have a ball mallet. Hammer away on the bat to break it in. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Isolator said:
But a ball in a sock is better, you say?
Yes its the best. The sock may not last too long but you will have old socks available.