• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gibbs and Boje pull out of Indian tour

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Once again these two match fixers have pulled out of the Indian tour. Apparently the UCBSA wants an assurance from Indian Police and Board that they wont be questioned. The way South African cricket Board has been protecting them is really shameful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gibbs and Boje pull out of Indian tour

Cricinfo staff

September 5, 2005

Herschelle Gibbs and Nicky Boje, the two South African cricketers who the Delhi Police want to question in their alleged involvement in the matchfixing scandal, have pulled out of South Africa's forthcoming tour to India in November.

Both players had pulled out of the last year's Test tour to India after the Delhi Police, which was responsible for cracking the case in 2000, did not give an assurance they would not be questioned or arrested. Although both denied that they accepted money to underperform in ODIs on South Africa's tour of India in 2000-01, they are still listed as "wanted" on the Delhi Police's books.

Gerald Majola, the chief executive of the United Cricket Board of South Africa (UCBSA) said that they hadn't been given an assurance regarding the safety of Gibbs and Boje despite repeated efforts."The whole matter is beginning to develop into a circus," Majola told Rapport, an Afrikaans weekly. He added that though Jagmohan Dalmiya, the former president of the Indian board, had assured him that nothing would happen to Gibbs and Boje if they toured India, "but up to now we have not been able to get the same assurance from the Indian police."

When the same issue had cropped up in July, the Indian board had clearly said that they were in no position to give any assurances. SK Nair, the BCCI secretary, had said, "We have certain limitations so far as these issues are involved. BCCI can only put up their case before the government," but he added that the South African board could "apply to the Indian government through diplomatic channels" - the route that the board eventually chose.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/218130.html

Shounak

Banned
Can't really blame the SA Cricket Board. I wouldn't want to send my players into a situation like that. Who knows what can happen once they get there. The Indian police are also a law upon themselves. Anything goes.

I understand and agree with the SA boards decision.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
shounak said:
Can't really blame the SA Cricket Board. I wouldn't want to send my players into a situation like that. Who knows what can happen once they get there. The Indian police are also a law upon themselves. Anything goes.

I understand and agree with the SA boards decision.
Well I dont have a problem with them not sending their players to India and protect those match fixers in their own country, but why seek assurances from the Indian police and pressurize Indian board that they wont be interrogated by the Indian police.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
^ How do you actually know they are match fixers?
Well if they are not, then what are they afraid of ??

Oh and Gibbs took the money, didn't he ?? Let me guess that is not enough for some people. is it ?

Blaze

Banned
Sanz said:
Well if they are not, then what are they afraid of ??

Oh and Gibbs took the money, didn't he ?? Let me guess that is not enough for some people. is it ?

If they were asian it would be.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Can't really blame them. I wouldn't go to India to play cricket either if I was at risk of being arrested. Some things, obviously, are more important.

Deja moo

International Captain
Meh... pathetic. Stop with the requests already. Theyre not VIPs for whom the law of the land will be bent.

greg

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Can't really blame them. I wouldn't go to India to play cricket either if I was at risk of being arrested. Some things, obviously, are more important.
But that isn't going to happen, is it? How many Indian cricketers, proven to have been involved in match fixing and banned, have been put in prison?

shaka

International Regular
They cannot be proven match fixers, because they have never said so, and no trial or completed inquiry has occurred.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
It was five years ago, Cronje got caught, he was banned, he died a terrible manner, get over it and move on.

What is the logic of keeping this case open?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
They cannot be proven match fixers, because they have never said so, and no trial or completed inquiry has occurred.
Incase you didn't know Gibbs has been found guilty of match fixing. Boje was named with Cronje and Gibbs by the Delhi Police.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FaaipDeOiad said:
But why are they afraid? REmember, the Indian Police were the ones who actually cracked the match fixing net with solid evidence. So they can relied upon in the sense that they won't wanna question these two unless the chances of them being involved was high. But them being this afraid basically proves that they were very much in the match fixing net, AFAIC.