• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gibbs and Boje pull out of Indian tour

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
shounak said:
Indian police are corrupt. I've seen it first hand in my numerous trips to India.
sweeping generalization(and very patronizing, i might add) with no relevance to the issue at hand....

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
Then they better forget about playing in India, because as it seems Delhi Police isn't going to stop the investigation. Oh its not investigation but just an interrogation because Indian police has alreasy stated that they are not going to arrest these two. :)
well they obviously arent going to play in india ever again, they've made that clear by not touring on every single occasion since then.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
And Boje/Gibbs/SA aren't going to gain anything either.
Boje/Gibbs arent going to gain anything by coming to india, hence they've decided that its better for them to stay back in SA. at the end of the day, they dont get interrogated and they dont play cricket in india.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
Boje/Gibbs arent going to gain anything by coming to india, hence they've decided that its better for them to stay back in SA.
Are you sure they are not going to gain anything ? Do they play cricket for free or as part of some Charity :lol: ?? Boje made a Test career out of his performance in Test matches in India in 2000. If they perform well in India and help SA win the series. they sure will get more sponsorship deals. Besides look at what is at stake, their place in the team. If their replacements perform well(unlikely but possible), Gibbs/Boje could lose their place in the SA team. ;)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
well they obviously arent going to play in india ever again, they've made that clear by not touring on every single occasion since then.
No, they have not made it clear. They(or their board) clearly want to tour India but dont want to be interrogated and that's why seeking assurances again and again.

Guess you cant have the cake and eat it too. :)

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
No, they have not made it clear. They(or their board) clearly want to tour India but dont want to be interrogated and that's why seeking assurances again and again.

well they've made it clear that they wont tour india again unless the police doesnt interrogate them.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
Are you sure they are not going to gain anything ? Do they play cricket for free or as part of some Charity :lol: ?? Boje made a Test career out of his performance in Test matches in India in 2000. If they perform well in India and help SA win the series. they sure will get more sponsorship deals. Besides look at what is at stake, their place in the team. If their replacements perform well(unlikely but possible), Gibbs/Boje could lose their place in the SA team. ;)
and if they toured india, got interrogated, and it was discovered that they are guilty(which they are), then the impact that it would have on their test careers and reputation would be 10 times worse than them not playing in india and putting their selection in jeopardy. boje for example has the advantage of knowing that every other spinner in SA is rubbish.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Oh yea of no sin! Come buy your stones from me! Beautiful, smooth, round ones. Very, very cheap!
:yawn:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
luckyeddie said:
Gibbs has already been tried and sentenced, and what's more he's served his time.

Obviously it wasn't enough for you.
The Delhi police want to question him. Maybe they have more charges against him to investigate. Maybe they have charges against others to investigate which may need his co-operation. The point is, this is not some individual trying to get back at someone, this is a federal police agency who are investigating a crime. And when someone refuses to cooperate, they are open to suspicion of helping the perpetrators of the crime.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Langeveldt said:
Tempted to stick up for them because they are two of my favourite players.. But I won't, if they did take money they don't deserve to tour anywhere, let alone India..

If it's been proven they didn't take money, I guess its Sanz being Sanz again.

Just wondering, how corrupt are Indian police? As bad as in SA?
Not so corrupt that they have to make sure a couple of players (one of them isn't even a world class player) don't play cricket. Like I said in the past, the Delhi police cannot have any other agenda other than to pursue investigation of the bookies scam. And since the commissioner has given the guarantee that Boje won't be arrested, I don't see why he doesn't wanna come here.

Shounak

Banned
Sanz said:

That's just summarised the two opposing points of view in a nutshell. I'm saying that if I were the SA board, I wouldn't send my players if there was any chance of danger. Mind you, I'd also terminate the careers of both players in a similar fashion to Cronje and Azza. But after some thorough investigation. The SA board most likely will not conduct an investigation in an impartial manner. .

The only other solution in this is if the ICC investigate. Which they probably aren't willing to do.

An impartial ICC investigation is the ideal situation in my eyes though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
shounak said:
If by the time the Australian or Italian courts have decided to charge you, you have skipped the country, they won't be deciding your fate. Unless of course they can get an extradition order, which in this case is simply ridiculous.

Full and proper justice may not be served in this situation. But as a cricket board, I would not subject my players to a corrupt police force, in a situation like this. Police in India can do nearly anything.

Are you suggesting that UCBSA be forced to send Gibbs and Boje to India to resolve the issue? With no assurances of any kind from the police.
Police everywhere can do anything. That doesn't mean when there is evidence to support their interrogations (not arrests, mind you) then they should just come down here, get the session over and done and go away. If they were clear, that is what they would have done.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
shounak said:
Yeah I agree with that. I just don't agree with sending players away to a place where their fate is unknown. Anything can happen. The UCBSA and the ICC would lose all control over the situation if matters were dealt with by Indian police. If the UCBSA got some assurances from the Indian police, then the whole situation would change..
Didn't Sanz just quote the head honcho of the Delhi police assuring that Boje won't be arrested? Gibbs was involved in the fixing, so he can be arrested. I don't see why it should matter. He did it and he deserved it.

Shounak

Banned
Anil said:
sweeping generalization(and very patronizing, i might add) with no relevance to the issue at hand....
I'm not the only person saying this, it's a fact. You never know what will happen with Indian police.

The SA board's reluctance to send their players there is understandable. But not their inability to investigate the players. Or the ICC's..

Shounak

Banned
honestbharani said:
Didn't Sanz just quote the head honcho of the Delhi police assuring that Boje won't be arrested? Gibbs was involved in the fixing, so he can be arrested. I don't see why it should matter. He did it and he deserved it.
Jeez. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it. I'm just saying I can understand the SA boards reluctance to have him punished there. I'd prefer the punishment was done in house.

But if the SA board aren't going to punish them in SA, then I doubt they'd send them to India where the Indian police can punish them.

Provided an investigation finds him guilty of course.

This is where the ICC should intervene..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
tooextracool said:
Boje/Gibbs arent going to gain anything by coming to india, hence they've decided that its better for them to stay back in SA. at the end of the day, they dont get interrogated and they dont play cricket in india.
They are not so special (even with their cricketing talent) that the laws should be mended to allow those two to play. If they come here, they can be questioned. If they don't wanna come here, well, I am not complaining.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
shounak said:
I'm not the only person saying this, it's a fact. You never know what will happen with Indian police.
Yeah, In India we still dont have cars, we ride elephants/Horses to go to work. :laugh:

Shounak

Banned
Sanz said:
Yeah, In India we still dont have cars, we ride elephants/Horses to go to work. :laugh:
Mate I am an Indian. I return to India every three years and have done so for the last 18 years. It's a wonderful place, but let's not kid ourselves on certain issues. I've seen and heard certain things in India which I would never see in Australia. Ever. (Edit: With regards to the police that is)

You're not seriously going to fight me about the Indian police being corrupt are you?

Last edited:

Deja moo

International Captain
shounak said:
Mate I am an Indian. I return to India every three years and have done so for the last 18 years. It's a wonderful place, but let's not kid ourselves on certain issues. I've seen and heard certain things in India which I would never see in Australia. Ever. (Edit: With regards to the police that is)

You're not seriously going to fight me about the Indian police being corrupt are you?
Get some perspective mate. Which part of this entire episode do you find riddled with corruption? Please put that tar brush away.