• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gibbs and Boje pull out of Indian tour

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Craig said:
It was five years ago, Cronje got caught, he was banned, he died a terrible manner, get over it and move on.

What is the logic of keeping this case open?
Because the Delhi police suspects that these two were involved as well. And I think the whole cricketing world deserves a proper investigation, which includes, wonder of all wonders, questioning those two. Only if they would actually co-operate.... I am not sure if the Delhi police will actually arrest them even if they were guilty. It will probably lead to a ban from ICC and the UCBSA but beyond that, I don't see what will happen to them. It is not like the Delhi police wants their lives.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Again, I wouldn't voluntarily go to a country where I was going to be interrogated or arrested or in any other way hassled by the police. It's not worth it just to play a cricket match.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Again, I wouldn't voluntarily go to a country where I was going to be interrogated or arrested or in any other way hassled by the police. It's not worth it just to play a cricket match.
I'm not sure I would either, however I'm not a cheating ******* so I wouldn't be in that position in the first place.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deja moo said:
^^ what he said. Go cry me a river, Gibbs.
Gibbs has already been tried and sentenced, and what's more he's served his time.

Obviously it wasn't enough for you.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Gibbs has already been tried and sentenced, and what's more he's served his time.

Me neither. Bring back "sutee" for them!!
(with a few modern refinements)

Deja moo

International Captain
luckyeddie said:

It isnt. I doubt the UCBSA enquiry would have had access to all the information the Delhi police gathered. If hes found guilty of breaking Indian law on Indian soil, he deserves to be punished according to Indian law.
Besides, I think what the police want to interrogate them for is to get information on the bookies who contacted them. The UCBSA enquiry was focussed purely on which of their players was guilty, not on the bookmakers themselves. You cant blame the Delhi police for going about their job of nailing the book makers. Its getting pathetic how they keep requesting exemption from the law everytime they have to land here.

Craig

World Traveller
Deja moo said:
Doing the crime didnt help matters either.
In the case of Gibbs yes, but if anybody has read anything of the subject, Nicky Boje wasn't involved in any way, Cronje just used his name to get a deal to go ahead.

Deja moo

International Captain
Craig said:
In the case of Gibbs yes, but if anybody has read anything of the subject, Nicky Boje wasn't involved in any way, Cronje just used his name to get a deal to go ahead.
Yeah Craig, thats what came out of the enquiry anyway. All my ire in this thread has been directed primarily at Gibbs (as a reading of my posts would show), and hes been the one mentioned by the police here on most occasions.

Craig

World Traveller
honestbharani said:
Because the Delhi police suspects that these two were involved as well. And I think the whole cricketing world deserves a proper investigation, which includes, wonder of all wonders, questioning those two. Only if they would actually co-operate.... I am not sure if the Delhi police will actually arrest them even if they were guilty. It will probably lead to a ban from ICC and the UCBSA but beyond that, I don't see what will happen to them. It is not like the Delhi police wants their lives.
But Boje wasn't involved, I will even post a transcript of Cronje's conversation with his bookmaker at the time to prove my point.

As I said it is five years ago, I don't think anything new will come out and quite frankly how people actually care about this match fixing saga now? Just let it be.

And as for your point about them co-operationating, how about some co-operation from the Delhi police that is no way they would get arrested. This is why they don't want to go.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
And as for your point about them co-operationating, how about some co-operation from the Delhi police that is no way they would get arrested. This is why they don't want to go.
Delhi Police has said it in the past, Boje still didn't tour India last time. If he didn't fix matches what is he afraid of ?

"The Delhi Police chief on Tuesday assured a top South African diplomat that Nicky Boje, the vice captain of the South African cricket team, would not be arrested in connection with a match fixing probe during the team's tour of India this month."

http://htcareers.com/news/7242_1086975,00180009.htm

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tempted to stick up for them because they are two of my favourite players.. But I won't, if they did take money they don't deserve to tour anywhere, let alone India..

If it's been proven they didn't take money, I guess its Sanz being Sanz again.

Just wondering, how corrupt are Indian police? As bad as in SA?

tooextracool

International Coach
i've never seen 2 more guilty people than gibbs and boje to be honest. its quite obvious that they were both involved(and id be extremely surprised if there werent more people from the 2000 side that were involved). at the end of the day though, its too long ago for the delhi police to still be bothered about this and they should just let it go.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that because they won't tour, that they must be feeling guilty and therefore must have taken money.. After all, I wouldn't be surprised if the Indian Police force was one of the many corrupt ones around the developing world who would nick them even if they had been cleared. . Maybe I'm wrong..

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
yet he smashed India everywhere? Was a bit of a rubbish match fixer!
well he was supposed to be dismissed below 20, which obviously didnt happen, despite his best attempt.nonetheless it still doesnt change the fact that he accepted the money.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yet he smashed India everywhere? Was a bit of a rubbish match fixer!
Nothing worse than a guy who can't follow simple instruction from his captain.