• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Asia Vs Rest of the World - Test

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mine......

Asia

S.Gavaskar
R.Dravid
J.Miandad
S.Tendulkar
A.De Silva
Imran Khan (c)
K.Sangakara (w.k)
Kapil Dev
W Akram
M. Muralitharan
W. Younis

I decided to open with Dravid (ahead of H Mohammad and S Anwar) to fit in a strong middle order. I'm sure many would take Z Abbas or Inzamam over De Silva, but thats how high I rate Avavinda. Good bowling attack with the 2 Ws opening with Imran and Kapil to follow and of course Murali the lone spinner.

ROW

J Hobbs
W Hammond
D Bradman (c)
V Richards
B Lara
G Sobers
A Gilchrist (w.k)
R Hadlee
S Warne
M Marshall
D Lillee

Like with Dravid I decided to play Hammond out of position as an opener. Lara was lucky to nudge out Chappell, Waugh and Hammond. Also Lillee ahead of Mcgrath was a tough call.

Who would win with these above lineups??

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ROW easily. You've got Bradman, Sobers and Gilchrist playing, three players which would make it into any team, not to mention all the others.

archie mac

International Coach
Yes I think ROW would cross the line with all of their oars out of the water.

Rowing joke there :D

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Asia don't have a chance with that batting lineup. Take out one of the seamers and put Hanif Mohammad or Inzamam in and they might have an outside chance.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There was a thread like this a while ago I think.

My teams:

Asia XI
Sunil Gavaskar
Hanif Mohammad
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Javed Miandad
Kumar Sangakkara (k)
Imran Khan (c)
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Anil Kumble

Rest Of The World XI
Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Don Bradman (c)
Viv Richards
Greg Chappell
Gary Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (k)
Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne
Fred Trueman
Glenn McGrath

Plenty of changes could be made to the rest of the world side obviously. Marshall and Lillee unlucky to miss out as bowlers, Miller could come in as an all-rounder, Lara and Hammond just missed out as batsmen etc.

a massive zebra

International Captain
My teams:

Asia XI

Sunil Gavaskar
Hanif Mohammad
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Javed Miandad
Kumar Sangakkara (k)
Imran Khan (c)
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Waqar Younis

Rest Of The World XI

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Don Bradman (c)
Graeme Pollock
Walter Hammond
Gary Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (k)
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Bill O'Reilly
Sydney Barnes

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The fact that a maximum of about 3 of the Asian side would make the ROW side means it's a one-sided affair for me.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i don't think it would be as one-sided as folks make it out to be....although r.o.w would be slight favourites going in....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bearing in mind that man for man the ROW side are miles ahead, I don't see how it could be anything but a one-sided game.

Shoaib

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
There was a thread like this a while ago I think.

Asia XI
Sunil Gavaskar
Hanif Mohammad
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Javed Miandad
Kumar Sangakkara (k)
Imran Khan (c)
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Anil Kumble
???????????????????????????????

Last edited:

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Ban McGrath-The biggest cheat in Cricket.For God sake,Ban this chucker.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pedro Delgado said:
Ban McGrath-The biggest cheat in Cricket.For God sake,Ban this chucker.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Too right. What a travesty he's still playing :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib said:
???????????????????????????????
What? With Wasim, Imran and Kapil already there as seamers, a second spinner seemed a good move, and after Murali, Kumble is as good a choice as anyone.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It is sad that while people do know of players from earlier eras for rest of the World, Asian superstars of days gone by are relatively unknown.

Here are some great Asian cricketers who could be considered for all time Asian teams. (I am taking only Pakistan and India here since other country's history in tests is more recent)
Hanif Mohammad
Vijay Merchant
Zaheer Abbas
Vijay Hazare
Pataudi Jr Captain
Vinoo Mankad
Naren Tamhane
Amar Singh
Fazal Mehmood
Mohammad Nissar
Subhash Gupte

This team would give any other combination from Asia a real run for their money.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
SJS said:
It is sad that while people do know of players from earlier eras for rest of the World, Asian superstars of days gone by are relatively unknown.

Here are some great Asian cricketers who could be considered for all time Asian teams. (I am taking only Pakistan and India here since other country's history in tests is more recent)

Hanif Mohammad
Vijay Merchant
Zaheer Abbas
Vijay Hazare
Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi
Vinoo Mankad
Waim Bari
Fazal Mehmood
Mohammad Nissar
Amar Singh
Subhash Gupte

This team would give any other combination from Asia a real run for their money.
Wasn't Saeed Ahmed a more accomplished batsman than Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
Wasn't Saeed Ahmed a more accomplished batsman than Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi?
Pataudi is captain of the side and according to me the best captain the subcontinent has ever seen.

Saeed was a very good batsman. I remember seeing him in the sixties but I would have put neither of them in the team as there are other batsmen with credentials. But I belong to the school of thinking that, like in England, believes in choosing the captain and then the team. :)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SJS said:

Hanif Mohammad
Vijay Merchant
Zaheer Abbas
Vijay Hazare
Pataudi Jr Captain
Vinoo Mankad
Naren Tamhane
Amar Singh
Fazal Mehmood
Mohammad Nissar[
Subhash Gupte

No doubting they were all fine players SJS....but I highly doubt they would compete against.........

S.Gavaskar
R.Dravid
J.Miandad
S.Tendulkar
A.De Silva
Imran Khan (c)
K.Sangakara (w.k)
Kapil Dev
W Akram
M. Muralitharan
W. Younis