Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Planet Earth

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Hello Planet Earth

Hello World, I'm here in Johannesburg South Africa and loving all the cricket around the world...

Just interested to find out, what are your thoughts on Zimbabwe and Bangladesh playing test cricket... Important records are being broken (eg: Jaques Kallis' fastest fifty in test history, Cape Town 2005).

Do you think a system should be implemented where something like the bottom three teams on the ICC log be demoted to a "A Leuge", where they plat "Test" cricket against nations like Scotland, Canada, Namibia, Japan etc... Not only will this benefit cricket in these areas, but it will enhance the competitiveness in the test arena. Currently, the bottom three teams are Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and West Indies...

The only problem is that it might destroy cricket in a place like the West Indies- and remember, Sri Lanks were useless when they first started out, and they have since lifted the world cup...

Who knows, Canada wins the 2015 World Cup!? (They would have to steal it from South Africa of course!!)

Your Thoughts?

Have a good day everyone!

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean
    Who knows, Canada wins the 2015 World Cup!? (They would have to steal it from South Africa of course!!)
    Not really, SA would find some way to get in a good position and then lose.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Don't tell Rich that!
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    I think the Bangas and Zims should be dropped from Test Cricket, but not ODI
    You know it makes sense.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Bangladesh were promoted too early - not their fault - and are only getting better. Demoting them (or any of the lower Test nations) will destroy them.

Zimbabwe, however, need banning full stop until the country stops being so Zimbabwe-ish.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Bangladesh were promoted too early - not their fault - and are only getting better. Demoting them (or any of the lower Test nations) will destroy them.

Zimbabwe, however, need banning full stop until the country stops being so Zimbabwe-ish.

Definitly improving in ODI, but have not seen a lot of real gains in Test Cricket.

I think Kenya should be playing more ODIs. They made the semis of the last World Cup and have hardly played a top nation since. Very poor planning IMO

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by burkey_1988
    I think Kenya should be playing more ODIs. They made the semis of the last World Cup and have hardly played a top nation since. Very poor planning IMO
    I agree with that. And I agree with Neil about Zim and Bangladesh.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!

well said
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    It harms the game when uneven contests occur so frequently and that aspect of destruction is far worse according to me. You may argue that such games bring in money so we should have it anyway. But that arguement would then be applicable to countries like Zimbabwe, matches like Asia vs Africa too.

So Zimbabwe-ish? You have got me there (and yes I am aware of Mugabe).

I have no problems with Zimbabwe or Bangladesh having test status on purely cricketing grounds (although the issues within Zimbabwean society have obviously had an effect on the composition of their team & it would be naive to assume otherwise), but I think that their presence in the ICC test championship is a hindrance rather than a help.

I don't doubt that the test schedule was drawn up with the v best of intentions, but anyone can see that Bangladesh (and the current Zimbabwe) are going to be absolutely slaughtered in Australia, England or New Zealand or wherever. They can be competitive at home (our 2nd test in Bangladesh went to five days) but their tests over here show they are some way from that respectability away. Their removal from the series rota will give them time to develop & they can still be tested against the best at home.

Zimbabwe is rather more problematic & I couldn't endorse any team touring there without grave misgivings. I do hope the situation in the country improves when the rancid old despot dies.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    So Zimbabwe-ish? You have got me there (and yes I am aware of Mugabe).
    Was the best adjective I could come up with. The whole Mugabe thing. Have neither time nor inclination to expand.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Don't tell Rich that!
    No point! I already know!

SA for WC 2047!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Pinball Champion!
    African?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information