• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hello Planet Earth

Dean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hello World, I'm here in Johannesburg South Africa and loving all the cricket around the world...

Just interested to find out, what are your thoughts on Zimbabwe and Bangladesh playing test cricket... Important records are being broken (eg: Jaques Kallis' fastest fifty in test history, Cape Town 2005).

Do you think a system should be implemented where something like the bottom three teams on the ICC log be demoted to a "A Leuge", where they plat "Test" cricket against nations like Scotland, Canada, Namibia, Japan etc... Not only will this benefit cricket in these areas, but it will enhance the competitiveness in the test arena. Currently, the bottom three teams are Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and West Indies...

The only problem is that it might destroy cricket in a place like the West Indies- and remember, Sri Lanks were useless when they first started out, and they have since lifted the world cup...

Who knows, Canada wins the 2015 World Cup!? (They would have to steal it from South Africa of course!!)

Your Thoughts?

Have a good day everyone!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dean said:
Who knows, Canada wins the 2015 World Cup!? (They would have to steal it from South Africa of course!!)
Not really, SA would find some way to get in a good position and then lose.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bangladesh were promoted too early - not their fault - and are only getting better. Demoting them (or any of the lower Test nations) will destroy them.

Zimbabwe, however, need banning full stop until the country stops being so Zimbabwe-ish.

archie mac

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Bangladesh were promoted too early - not their fault - and are only getting better. Demoting them (or any of the lower Test nations) will destroy them.

Zimbabwe, however, need banning full stop until the country stops being so Zimbabwe-ish.

Definitly improving in ODI, but have not seen a lot of real gains in Test Cricket.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Kenya should be playing more ODIs. They made the semis of the last World Cup and have hardly played a top nation since. Very poor planning IMO

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
burkey_1988 said:
I think Kenya should be playing more ODIs. They made the semis of the last World Cup and have hardly played a top nation since. Very poor planning IMO
I agree with that. And I agree with Neil about Zim and Bangladesh.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:

well said

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Neil Pickup said:
It harms the game when uneven contests occur so frequently and that aspect of destruction is far worse according to me. You may argue that such games bring in money so we should have it anyway. But that arguement would then be applicable to countries like Zimbabwe, matches like Asia vs Africa too.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:

So Zimbabwe-ish? You have got me there (and yes I am aware of Mugabe).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have no problems with Zimbabwe or Bangladesh having test status on purely cricketing grounds (although the issues within Zimbabwean society have obviously had an effect on the composition of their team & it would be naive to assume otherwise), but I think that their presence in the ICC test championship is a hindrance rather than a help.

I don't doubt that the test schedule was drawn up with the v best of intentions, but anyone can see that Bangladesh (and the current Zimbabwe) are going to be absolutely slaughtered in Australia, England or New Zealand or wherever. They can be competitive at home (our 2nd test in Bangladesh went to five days) but their tests over here show they are some way from that respectability away. Their removal from the series rota will give them time to develop & they can still be tested against the best at home.

Zimbabwe is rather more problematic & I couldn't endorse any team touring there without grave misgivings. I do hope the situation in the country improves when the rancid old despot dies.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
So Zimbabwe-ish? You have got me there (and yes I am aware of Mugabe).
Was the best adjective I could come up with. The whole Mugabe thing. Have neither time nor inclination to expand.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
archie mac said:
Definitly improving in ODI, but have not seen a lot of real gains in Test Cricket.
I would disagree.

Up to the Lords Test they were progressively getting more competitive, and once they adjusted to English conditions they began to battle well.

archie mac

International Coach
marc71178 said:
I would disagree.

Up to the Lords Test they were progressively getting more competitive, and once they adjusted to English conditions they began to battle well.
Maybe I was a bit harsh, every now and again they seem to be on the improve, but then a side destroys them inside three days with an innings and plenty. I just don't think it is good for them or Test Cricket.