• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ambidextrous players

Ambidextrous

Cricket Spectator
have their been, or are there any pro ambidextrous players out there (as in bowl left and right handed, bat left and right)
i think that if a player like shane warne was ambidextrous he would be completely unplayable, because it would be much harder to read spin coming from both sides.

i can bowl offspin and leg spin with both hands, field with both hands and can bat both ways (equally) and feel that in the current cricket climate of 1 handedness, i could be a real handful to cricketers out there.

twctopcat

International Regular
Ian "the freak" Harvey can i think to a certain degree. You sound like a most gifted cricketer!!

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Jimmy Anderson and the Dearly Departed :p Simon Jones, both bowl righties and bat left-handeed

Chubb

International Regular
Jamee999 said:
Jimmy Anderson and the Dearly Departed :p Simon Jones, both bowl righties and bat left-handeed
I do the same. As did, interestingly, my grandad and great grandad and as does my little cousin. Quite a family trait. My uncle however is a chinaman-googly bowler and a left handed bat.

twctopcat

International Regular
Jamee999 said:
And Tres. I think a fair number of people do that, means you end up (hopefully) less bottom handed and play in a more orthodox fashion.

Ambidextrous

Cricket Spectator
there are indeed many right bowlers who play left batsman and vice versa, but im not too keyed up with knowledge of bowlers who bowl with both hands and batsman who switch from left to right to take advantage of tactical field set ups etc..
and being ambidextrous is not a natural thing....anybody can do it...with lots of practice, thats why i can't understand at the lack of them.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Because you'd need to practise with both hands, so you'd need to practise twice as much as others at that level to reach it.

Ambidextrous

Cricket Spectator
you do have to practice more being both handed, but not twice as much....because the mental side of things, and muscle memory of the bowling, batting movements have already been covered by your brain, so making it easier to replicate movement and skills with other arm....i can play any sport with both hands equally using this.

archie mac

International Coach
I can't recall his name, but I remember a Zim quick bowler who bowled right arm, but threw left. I imagine with a bit of practice he could have bowled with both.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
I bat right handed and bowl Left handed :)
i am left handed, but because I played hockey I was more used to right handed.
I can throw a ball with my right hand, but prefer left :)
I know daan van bunge can bat left and right handed..and amazingly good too.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I know a guy who can bowl right arm and left arm, swing and seam - all to a decent standard too!

greg

International Debutant
There was a player for Pakistan or India u19s a couple of years ago who bowled left and right arm finger spin, at times alternating during the same over.

greg

International Debutant
A guy at my club used to tell a story about how he had been playing in a game once, and the opposition had a left-handed player who looked vaguely familiar, and scored a beautiful hundred. Found out afterwards it was Majid Khan giving them a chance.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm certain I read somewhere that Tait practices batting left & right handed in the nets. As he's a bit of a bunny it doesn't make much diff I suppose, but it would be kinda cool if he changed hands during a game.

C_C

International Captain
Ambidextrous players i know of : Ian Harvey, Saurav Ganguly, Gary Sobers, Chaminda Vaas