Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Australian bowlers and batsmen of all time?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    yeah difficult to understand Lillee > McGrath. The only thing that I can think of is the Ian Chappell argument

"Lillee could do everything that McGrath could and he could do it 10mph quicker"
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    yeah difficult to understand Lillee > McGrath. The only thing that I can think of is the Ian Chappell argument

"Lillee could do everything that McGrath could and he could do it 10mph quicker"
    yeah it's basically--- the above, the intimidation factor, and the aura around him...

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Voting probably rewards the guys who were the pre-eminent player of their time, with it being all former players. Garth was the leader of the attack throughout his career (IIRC), as opposed to Gillespie - so if the player has to spread their votes around, then you're not likely to vote for the second best pacer of an era (especially if you didn't play in that era).

Peter McIntyre stiff to miss out...
    Yeah, I'd guess there's something in that, but Jeffrey Robert has made it in and he was usually seen as the support act for DKL, wasn't he? Although he was always box office.

He must be a better bloke than he comes across as. Was the media's go to arsehole pommy basher for quite some time.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    He must be a better bloke than he comes across as. Was the media's go to arsehole pommy basher for quite some time.
    You say the latter as if it wasn't a qualification for the former?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, I'd guess there's something in that, but Jeffrey Robert has made it in and he was usually seen as the support act for DKL, wasn't he? Although he was always box office.

Jeff Thomson is a first rate ****. Cardiff ODI is all the evidence you need.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Gilly comes in at number 4

'Sheez, look at that one!' - The Age - Melbourne'

After two years in Perth he had done enough for a call-up to the national one-day team. He batted in the middle order, until Mark Taylor's decline became unignorable and Gilchrist moved to the top, just seven weeks after taking over the gloves from Healy. That was in December 1997. South African players taunted him in Sydney, off-spinner Pat Symcox asking, "How many does this ground hold?"

Replied Gilchrist, naively, "35,000".

Said Symcox, grinning: "That makes 35,000 who hate you."
    How wrong that statement would turn out to be.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    The most entertaining player I've seen play for Australia. The fireworks at the start of an ODI innings was must see for a decade when Gilchrist was in the side and was a key cog in one of the greatest test sides of all time.

They have possibly given away the order:

Lillee at 3
    Warne at 2
    The Don at 1

Grimmett the unlucky man in this poll. Having to compete with 2 other great spinners has hurt him in selection.

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    ah, that article on miller by ian chappell!! i am telling you guys. he is the straightest shooter in town and i love him for that. i especially liked the last line. quite revealing about what kind of a man ian actually is.

U19 Debutant
    McGrath
    Warne
    Lillee

Bradman
    G Chappell
    Border
    All Time Test XI:

Openers: S.Gavaskar V.Sehwag Middle Order: V.Richards S.Tendulkar B.Lara All Rounders: G.Sobers I Khan (C) WK: A.Gilchrist Bowlers: W.Akram M.Marshall M.Muralitharan

All Time ODI XI:

WK: A.Gilchrist S.Tendulkar V.Richards R. Ponting M. Dhoni M. Bevan Allrounder: K.Dev Bowlers: W.Akram J. Garner M.Muralitharan G. McGrath

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    ah, that article on miller by ian chappell!! i am telling you guys. he is the straightest shooter in town and i love him for that. i especially liked the last line. quite revealing about what kind of a man ian actually is.
    Yeah, I always enjoy his opinions even if I disagree with him because he tells it so truthfully without a hint of cover up. Even though he absolutely worshipped Miller he abhorred the way he treat Peg, Miller's wife. I watched a bio on Miller where Chappell also spoke and it came across there too. One can say he came to really dislike Miller the man, even though he adored him as a cricketer.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    why Miller's personal life coming into this?

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    They have possibly given away the order:

Lillee at 3
    Warne at 2
    The Don at 1
    Yeah pretty much - they're not going to get Mike Brearley to write about Bradman or Warne, considering how often he came up against DKL. And after that it just comes down to Bradman vs Warne, and we know how that will (or at least ****ing well should) end.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    If Tendulkar can be compared to The Don then Warne is better

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    If Tendulkar can be compared to The Don then Warne is better
    Ha ha, touche.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Jeff Thomson is a first rate ****. Cardiff ODI is all the evidence you need.
    He comes across that way doesn't he?

He's also the most terrifying fast bowler I've ever seen. He must have been a nightmare to face before his shoulder injury.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information