• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top ten greatest bowlers and batsmen of all time

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Batsmen:
8. Steve Waugh
9. Alan Border
10. Dravid
They are superb batsmen no question, but i dont know if they are good enough to be ranked as on of the top 10 batsmen of all time.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Kapil Dev is one of my all time favorite players, but I don't think he would make the top 30 bowling all time.
You sure about that, surely he can make a top 30.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie said:
You sure about that, surely he can make a top 30.

No, I don't believe so. He might just crack it. As a player he might, because of his batting, but purely as a bowler? I wouldn't think so.

In ODI, he would definatly be there, but not in tests.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Off the top of my head:

off the top of my head (in no order):

1. Hadlee
  2. Lillee
  3. Imran
  4. McGrath
  5. Wasim
  6. Waqar
  7. Botham
  8. Holding
  9. Marshall
  10. Roberts
  11. Ambrose
  12. Walsh
  13. Warne
  14. Murali
  15. Bedi
  16. O'reilly
  17. Laker
  18. Barnes
  19. Donald
  20. Grimmett
  21. Tayfield
  22. Verity
  23. Kumble
  24. Bedser
  25. Davidson
  26. Miller
  27. Lindwall
  28. Garner
  29. Wes Hall
  30. Ian Bishop
  31. Fazal Mahmood

I am sure you would disagree with some, but I am sure I've missed about 10 bowlers. Kapil Dev is not in there :). Like I said, I adore him, but realistically, he isn't in the top 30.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
steds said:
I'm sorry, but if you think Paul Weekes even comes close then you, sir, are an idiot.
If you were trying to be sarcastic then, then okay but i do believe he was talking about Everton Weekes.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Off the top of my head and not necessarily in an order.

Batsmen

1. Bradman
2. Trumper
3. Hobbs
4. Hammond
5. Headley
6. Viv Richards
7. Sobers
8. Lara
9. Tendulkar​

Not too sure of a tenth who might be a cert. Will come back later :)

Bowlers (without the West Indians)

1. Barnes
2. Orielly
3. Grimmett
4. Lillee
5. Hadlee
6. Warne
7. Murali
8. Imran
9. Lindwall
10. Larwood​

West Indian Bowlers

1. Marshall
2. Roberts
3. Holding
4. Walsh
5. Garner
6. Ambrose
7. Hall
8. Bishop
9. Constantine
10 Martindale​

Had to have a separate list for the West Indian fast bowlers....there are simply too many of them to fit into a list of just ten from all over the world over over time and including all types of bowling !! :)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
SJS said:
Off the top of my head and not necessarily in an order.

Batsmen

1. Bradman
2. Trumper
3. Hobbs
4. Hammond
5. Headley
6. Viv Richards
7. Sobers
8. Lara
9. Tendulkar​

Not too sure of a tenth who might be a cert. Will come back later :)
Add Sunny. You know you want to ;)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Off the top of my head:

off the top of my head (in no order):

1. Hadlee
  2. Lillee
  3. Imran
  4. McGrath
  5. Wasim
  6. Waqar
  7. Botham
  8. Holding
  9. Marshall
  10. Roberts
  11. Ambrose
  12. Walsh
  13. Warne
  14. Murali
  15. Bedi
  16. O'reilly
  17. Laker
  18. Barnes
  19. Donald
  20. Grimmett
  21. Tayfield
  22. Verity
  23. Kumble
  24. Bedser
  25. Davidson
  26. Miller
  27. Lindwall
  28. Garner
  29. Wes Hall
  30. Ian Bishop
  31. Fazal Mahmood

I am sure you would disagree with some, but I am sure I've missed about 10 bowlers. Kapil Dev is not in there :). Like I said, I adore him, but realistically, he isn't in the top 30.
based on that i guess your right.

JBH001

International Regular
Well I penned this down in the middle of a lecture during a slow spell.

Top 10 Batsmen (in order):

1. D Bradman
2. J Hobbs
3. G Sobers
4. G Chappell
5. G Headley
6. V Richards
7. W Hammond
8. B Lara
9. S Tendulkar
10. E Weekes

Top 10 Pace Bowlers (Quicks and Medium - also in order):

1. S F Barnes
2. M Marshall
3. D Lillee
4. G McGrath
5. C Ambrose
6. R Lindwall
7. W Akram
8. W Younis
9. A Roberts
10. M Holding

Top 10 Spinners (in order):

1. S Warne
2. M Muralitheran
3. B O'Reilly
4. C Grimmett
5. E Prasanna
6. S Gupte
7. B Chandrasekhar
8. B Bedi
9. A Kumble
10. H Verity

Beleg

International Regular
TOP TEN ODI Bowlers:

1. Wasim Akram
2. Joel Garner
3. Allan Donald
4. Saqlain Mushtaq
5. Murali
6. Warne
7. McGrath
8. Waqar
9. Shoaib
10. Bishop/Bond

C_C

International Captain
aussie said:
They are superb batsmen no question, but i dont know if they are good enough to be ranked as on of the top 10 batsmen of all time.
Much better than the amatuers like Hobbs, Hutton, etc. if you ask me.
As i said, apart from few extremely rare high flyers like Bradman,Grimmett,O'Reiley and Barnes, i dont think any other amatuer is worth comparing to a professional of similar statistics. You want Hobbs, tone it down to maybe Tresco. Larwood ? nothing more than patrick patterson.
Great back then = mediocre now. Cricket's standards have gone up,touching its zenith in the mid 60s-late 90s period.-anyone who denies this is simply stuck in nostalgia years.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Batting.

1.Sir Don Bradman
2.Graeme Pollock
3.Sir Garfield Sobers
4.Barry Richards
5.Sachin Tendulkar
6.Sir Viv Richards
7.Brian Lara
8.Steve Waugh
9.Sunil Gavaskar
10.Jack Hobbs

Hard luck for Greg Chappell, Ricky Ponting, Rahul Dravid, Victor Trumper, Everton Weekes.

Bowling

1.Malcom Marshall
2.Shane Warne
3.Glenn McGrath
4.Denis Lillee
5.Richard Hadlee
6.Michael Holding
7.Muttiah Muralitharan
8.Sid Barnes
9.Curtly Ambrose
10.Fred Trueman

Hard Luck for Joel Garner, Wasim Akram, Imran Kahn, Andy Roberts, Allan Donald

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PhoenixFire said:
I am surprised to hear the amount of time Glenn McGrath was been mentioned in this thread. Don't get me wrong here, I think he is a fine bowler, but never in a million years would I have him placed ahead of Garner, Marshall, Holding, Tyson, Trueman and more. I would like to be enlightened to why some people rate him so highly.
Why wouldn't he be rated highly? I think a lot of people underrate McGrath because he lacks the pace and venom of most other fast bowlers, but his record speaks for itself. He's just so accurate and, more importantly, effective, and in a time where batsmen are much more aggressive. He'd be in my top 10.

shortpitched713

International Captain
andyc said:
I think a lot of people underrate McGrath
Hes sure not underrated on this board. I'd say that most people would put him as one of the top ten bowlers of all time, and maybe one of the top five pacers as well.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
As i said, apart from few extremely rare high flyers like Bradman,Grimmett,O'Reiley and Barnes, i dont think any other amatuer is worth comparing to a professional of similar statistics. You want Hobbs, tone it down to maybe Tresco. Larwood ? nothing more than patrick patterson.
Great back then = mediocre now. Cricket's standards have gone up,touching its zenith in the mid 60s-late 90s period.-anyone who denies this is simply stuck in nostalgia years.
I understand what you saying but i think Hobbs & Hutton are a bit better than amateurs. Yes they would have too many top class bowlers in their careers in an era which was dominated by the bat but you can only score runs againts whats in front of you & Hobbs & Hutton were the two greatest openers post 1960s, so i think that could make them high flyers as well.

Matt79

Global Moderator
C_C said:
What you're saying is probably correct, but kind of kills the point and the fun of what these comparisons are about. You can use your imagination and assume that the talents of the past could be afforded the same level of training, practice, and fitness, that's available today. Technique, knowledge, etc are specific to time, place and opportunity, but ability, application and determination, as demonstrated by competition at the highest level available, are transferrable.

C_C

International Captain
aussie said:
I understand what you saying but i think Hobbs & Hutton are a bit better than amateurs. Yes they would have too many top class bowlers in their careers in an era which was dominated by the bat but you can only score runs againts whats in front of you & Hobbs & Hutton were the two greatest openers post 1960s, so i think that could make them high flyers as well.

Look, i dont care what they did in their eras. If you want to compare between eras, the only question left is what will these guys do with the skills they had and displayed, not the far more ludicrous line of reasoning culminating with 'oh if they were born in this era they'd have dominated just the same because they'd be privvy to the modern techniques'.
In my opinion, that theory is utterly bogus because there are far far too many variables in that kind of tomfoolery. Its simple skills matchup. And simple skills-wise do Hobbs,Hutton,etc. come even close to touching the Vivs Tendulkars and Laras of the world ? the answer is most emphatically NO. They'd be lucky to match Mark Waugh as far as i am concerned.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
batsmen

bradman
sobers
richards
hobbs
hammond
lara
gavaskar
chappell
headley