• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top ten greatest bowlers and batsmen of all time

Slifer

International Captain
Smith makes my top 10 Australian bats of all-time already.

Well, here my top 9 since I felt it's too close between several batsmen to select a 10th

Bradman
Ponting
Chappell
Border
Waugh
Trumper
Smith
Harvey
Ponsford
Got me thinking who are the top 10 bowlers and batsmen for each team. I'm going to assume that this thread doesn't already exist :

WI

Viv
Headley
Lara
Sobers
Worrell
Walcott
Chanders
Weekes
Kanhai
Lloyd

Marshall
Ambrose
Garner
Holding
Walsh
Roberts
Bishop
Hall
Gibbs
Croft

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Aus

Bradman
G.Chappell
Trumper
Harvey
Border
S.Waugh
Ponsford
Smith
McCabe
Hill

McGrath
OReilly
Warne
Lillee
Lindwall
Davidson
Grimmett
Turner
Johnson
Miller

Slifer

International Captain
Aus

Bradman
G.Chappell
Trumper
Harvey
Border
S.Waugh
Ponsford
Smith
McCabe
Hill

McGrath
OReilly
Warne
Lillee
Lindwall
Davidson
Grimmett
Turner
Johnson
Miller
And to think for Australia you still have: Ponting, Hussey, Hayden, Martyn, Simpson, Lawry, Clark etc. Depth is ridiculous.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And to think for Australia you still have: Ponting, Hussey, Hayden, Martyn, Simpson, Lawry, Clark etc. Depth is ridiculous.
Which is what happens when you've been ranked (mostly) 1 or 2 for the 140 year history of the sport.

Chrish

International Debutant
Don't buy the hype surrounding Trumper.. Everything I read about him, he seems pretty much like VVS. Elegant player capable of playing mesmerizing innings once in a while but otherwise inconsistent. Gets overrated for being first of his kind.

"stats aren't everything" argument can only go so far. And other than nostalgia and romanticism for past, I don't see any reason to leave Ponting out of top 3 all time Aussie batsmen.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And other than nostalgia and romanticism for past, I don't see any reason to leave Ponting out of top 3 all time Aussie batsmen.
Plenty of decent reasons to have Border and Waugh ahead of him. Even if you go just by stats.

the big bambino

International Captain
Don't buy the hype surrounding Trumper.. Everything I read about him, he seems pretty much like VVS. Elegant player capable of playing mesmerizing innings once in a while but otherwise inconsistent. Gets overrated for being first of his kind.

"stats aren't everything" argument can only go so far. And other than nostalgia and romanticism for past, I don't see any reason to leave Ponting out of top 3 all time Aussie batsmen.
Trouble is you don't understand the stats in context and you rely on the highlighted crap as if its evidence of anything more than your of profound bias against any era except the present.

Chrish

International Debutant
Trouble is you don't understand the stats in context and you rely on the highlighted crap as if its evidence of anything more than your of profound bias against any era except the present.
If you are referring to my Trumper comment then I am well aware the fact that batting averages pre- WW1 were well below what's the current norm. However, you must compare him with his contemporaries and the fact remains his test and FC numbers don't hold any water against guys like Ranji and pre-war Hobbs.

Same thing with Harvey.. I understand 50s was the toughest decade to bat after WW1 but his numbers against the toughest opponent needs to be slightly higher than what he ended up with if I want to place him ahead of Ponting I reckon.

the big bambino

International Captain
Trumper's average was in excess of 13 runs higher than the average in the years he played. Of those who played more than 10 tests only seven had a higher average.

the big bambino

International Captain
Most of those were bolstered against SA and played fewer than 20 games. If they had anything like Trumper's near 50 matches they would have fallen below. EDIT. Especially if they played their strongest opponent in the same proportion as did Trumper and over as many years.

Last edited:

Red

What a lazy post. You obviously haven't read much about him.

Start with his ability on uncovered, sticky wickets and his dominance of bowlers on bowler friendly wickets and go from there...

cnerd123

likes this
And Clem Hill averaged 35 against Eng and 62 against SA. What's your point?
His point that Trumper's average was bolsted as much by playing SA as all the other batsmen of his era, so to say the ones who averaged as much as he did only because they benefited from this isn't a fair argument given Trumper also benefited from it.

Red

That you can't write off other batsmen's averages of that era by saying they bashed SA, because Trumper did it too.
It was just Eng, SA and Aus. And everyone bashed SA. And 30-40 was a good average in Trumper's era.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You know every **** is desperately waiting for some cricket to start when the topic turns to Victor Trumper.